Author Topic: e-brevets what's the deal?  (Read 6163 times)

Re: e-brevets what's the deal?
« Reply #50 on: 19 October, 2023, 11:43:37 am »
Agree e-brevet isn’t much work to setup and you can copy from one year to the next if control locations haven’t substantially changed.  I find it’s just as quick to validate at finish and e-brevet nicely tells me the elapsed time rather than having to do some mental maths.

Some riders do receipts, infos and E-Brevet the first time.  But then move to just E-Brevet once they have more faith in this new fangled wizardry

« Reply #51 on: 19 October, 2023, 01:10:54 pm »
As a rider, I used ebrevet right at the start when it was being tested on a few events, but since I was also having to collect traditional POPs i only did it a few times.

Now it's up and running, i'll try it again.

As an organiser, how are Postal Finish events dealt with with the ebrevet.  Would I receive an email from each rider, or are the finish times automatically updated onto the event page?
@CorbieLinnRider

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #52 on: 19 October, 2023, 06:40:01 pm »
I'm not against e-brevets per se, for perms / ECEs I embrace digital validation! just that at the moment they just supplant not replace paper brevets. Someone still has to fill in the paper card.

I will download the App and use it on my next ride before considering rolling it out so I at least have an idea how it works. Does it work with perms as well as calendar events? (as more likely to be riding the former soon)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #53 on: 19 October, 2023, 11:06:22 pm »
Why are people sending you files to deal with?
I think I have always used a supplied link to submit my tracklogs directly to the robot.

They sometimes do but (in the case of ECEs) most complain that the link doesn't work. Even then it's just a link, I still need to download save to an individual folder and submit the track through the validation software.

I can't get this to work any more

http://www.aukweb.net/routevalidator/

Someone else reported issues with the validator. It seems that it only works for http:// not https:// - but even if you use the link above with http:// your browser may automatically add the "s". Different browsers do behave differently so try an alternative if you have one. The other organiser found that Chrome didn't work but Edge was OK - however which works might depend on what version you have.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #54 on: 19 October, 2023, 11:11:12 pm »
As an organiser, how are Postal Finish events dealt with with the ebrevet.  Would I receive an email from each rider, or are the finish times automatically updated onto the event page?

You will get a mail as each rider uploads their brevet. You will also be able to logon to the organiser view where you can see everyone's upload, colour coded to show you which are all OK and which have one or more problems (out of time, skipped/missed control). There is an option also to print labels which can be stuck on brevet cards with all the control times.

For now there is no automated setting of finished status on the event entry for a successful completion. However it's on the radar now - the new event planner in development will effectively include all the information necessary for e-brevet, so an organiser won't have to go to a separate website add the event, but just have to tick to say they want to enable it. By putting everything in one system, the automatic finisher status should also be possible.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #55 on: 19 October, 2023, 11:18:21 pm »
I will download the App and use it on my next ride before considering rolling it out so I at least have an idea how it works. Does it work with perms as well as calendar events? (as more likely to be riding the former soon)
It works well for perms - it will give the rider their own personalised open/close times for controls based on the start time. It is also possible for a rider to customise their ride if the organiser permits it - so for a circular route go in the opposite direction, start at a different control or even start between controls. Having set up the custom version, the rider then downloads that so they effectively get their own personalised brevet with everything in the right order and the appropriate times. Quite a few regular perms riders are using this feature.

Finally there is a gps track upload option too which can be used for a perm - an alternative to the current aukweb one. This will check against a customised brevet if it exists, and the rider does the upload, the organiser gets the mail as if the normal e-brevet was used and uploaded and can then view the details on the website. This feature is maybe not so well known, but a few riders have used it. Of course the track upload is an "all or nothing" at the end, whereas working through each control on the normal e-brevet screen may be preferred by some as they can check their progress against the clock, and each control registered is done and aside from losing the phone, cannot be lost.