Author Topic: Rowing and running machines maybe cross trainer  (Read 4636 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Rowing and running machines maybe cross trainer
« on: 11 January, 2021, 09:57:15 am »
Hello, as discussed elsewhere I am in the middle of upgrading our garage.  Part of the garage is a home office, the majority will be a workshop, bike storage and home exercise area. 

We'd like to install a running treadmill and / or a rowing machine.  Does anyone have any experience of buying these bits of kit, possibly secondhand?  What works, what doesn't?  What should we go for and what should we avoided?  Or should we buy something else like a cross trainer?

Many thanks in advance  :-*

Re: Rowing and running machines maybe cross trainer
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:27:27 pm »
Our pain cave currently has a 10 year old watt bike and 15 year old concept 2, plus a kettlebell, a gym mat and a pull-up bar. All are getting used most days at the moment.  We've never had a treadmill, they're massive and it's too much easier and nicer to just go for a run / walk, even when the weather is pants.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:56:36 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts Mike.  In the past, when we had access to a gym, we have both used treadmills when the weather has been pants although that was when we tended to run outdoors first thing when of course the weather is most pants.  Last week we have started running at lunchtime which has worked well and the weather has been nicer.  Which is why I'm thinking of a cross trainer as its low impact, and a more overall workout, and could nicely compliment outdoor running.

I have also really enjoyed rowing machines at the gym, in 2019 I even did the equivalent of rowing across the Channel in just under 4 hours.

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:04:12 pm »
My approach would be to buy something that I cannot easily otherwise do.  Walking and running outdoors are about the most easily accessible forms of exercise.  I'd get a Concept 2 if space permitted this.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:07:04 pm »
My approach would be to buy something that I cannot easily otherwise do.  Walking and running outdoors are about the most easily accessible forms of exercise.  I'd get a Concept 2 if space permitted this.

Thanks PB. 

I should add that we will be giving up our gym memberships shortly so the idea behind buying some form of home gym equipment is to supplement and compliment outdoor exercise.   

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:49:51 pm »
I finally knocked my gym membership on the head this month.  I haven't been for a session since February and although most of that time my membership has been suspended I just didn't want to go in when I could.  Rouvy is a lot cheaper though at present I am frustrated with their really crap website.  mllePB is enjoying her Rouvy rides but trying to get the stupid thing to do basic account maintenance is like having teeth pulled without anaesthetic.

I am hopeful that it will eventually fall into place but I'll probably have knawed a leg off before then.

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:50:07 pm »
I'd get a Concept 2 if space permitted this.
I believe they can be taken apart (for storage)?

Davef

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:00:11 pm »
Yes. They have quick release and come into two bits and the larger bit can stand on end.

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:05:15 pm »
Yes. They have quick release and come into two bits and the larger bit can stand on end.

That'll easily fit in my spare room (when it eventually arrives). :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:14:18 pm »
I our humble abode the space for a piece of fitness equipment has been taken by a Wahoo Kickr Core with a one wheeled bicycle attached.  We simply do not have the space for more kit at the moment. 

Davef

« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:19:05 pm »
I recently discovered (after a year of ownership) that you can pop the front wheel out and flip the bike to stand vertically on my direct drive turbo.

« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:55:14 pm »

Thanks PB. 

I should add that we will be giving up our gym memberships shortly so the idea behind buying some form of home gym equipment is to supplement and compliment outdoor exercise.
I'd get weights. The older you are, the more important this is.

« Reply #12 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:57:21 pm »
I'd get weights. The older you are, the more important this is.
Use gravity:
Press ups
Sit ups
Tricep dips
Squats

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:58:59 pm »
Interesting points. I like the gravity thing but tell me about the weights fboab.

Davef

« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2021, 08:48:08 am »
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-fitness-and-gym/c3-weight-plates-and-bars/_/N-9lzpc7

You can browse the huge range of weights that are currently out of stock.

« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2021, 11:26:55 pm »
I am looking for a similar option
thinking about the JLL Ventus  https://www.sports-supplements-compare.co.uk/jll-ventus-2-air-rowing-machine-uk/
or a concept 2 but cant find any in stock

« Reply #16 on: 14 January, 2021, 07:36:55 am »
I've been a slack arse bastard for the last month, but prior to that I used a weight bag quite a bit.

Advantages:
Cheap as chips. Paid £14 for mine, filled it with dry gravel from garden centre (bagged into 5 and 2kg amounts). about 35kg in mine
Versatile. There are lots of exercise routines on the web for them - I use my own sport specific exercises.
Don't damage floors. Unlike hard iron weights, the bag doesn't scratch or dint floors.
Disadvantage
Slow to change the weight amounts. You can get several bags.
Limited max weight. It's hard to get more than 35kg in them unless you have access to lead. However, the exercises typically don't need high weights. Most weight bags are about 20kg, so 35 is a fair bit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17 on: 14 January, 2021, 12:59:24 pm »
I am looking for a similar option
thinking about the JLL Ventus  https://www.sports-supplements-compare.co.uk/jll-ventus-2-air-rowing-machine-uk/
or a concept 2 but cant find any in stock

I've never tried the JLL machine but it *does* have a gear lever like a Raleigh chopper, which is probably a good enough reason to get one...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18 on: 14 January, 2021, 02:47:41 pm »
You can do a lot with just a kettlebell or two, and they don't take up a lot of room.  I have an 18kg and a 10kg (could also do with an in between as well) plus weights I've had for 20 years.  I use the KBs more these days.

I'd also suggest that for general fitness and functional strength (rather than just getting that ripped look of a body builder), go with compound exercises rather than trying to isolate muscle groups.  With KBs (and weights) I include things like
- Turkish Get-Ups - very difficult to do with a heavy weight without getting the technique right first
- Single Legged deadlifts
- Swings
- squats
- Presses
- Lunges - fore and aft

With a weight disc you can do a lot of variations on torso twists and core work both seated and standing - you could probably do them with a KB as well

The gravity stuff is great as well
Also, if you can't find weights - an old inner tube bakes a great resistance band and it's progressive in that the more you stretch it the more difficult it gets. I used to throw a couple in my suitcase.  You can do things like bicep curls, lateral raises etc with it trapped under your foot, and if you tie it round a table leg or similar, you can do a bunch of leg stuff
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #19 on: 14 January, 2021, 03:19:15 pm »
A treadmill would be pretty much the lowest item on my priority list, as others have said if you're going to walk or run then outside is best, even in shit weather.

(There are some people on here where a treadmill might be a good idea due to reduced vision, balance or other issues.)

Saying that, one item I'm contemplating is a really cheap non-motorised walking treadmill that I can unfold under my sit/stand desk. I could really do with the option of being able to do more steps on days when I can't get out so easily (due to work and/or parenting responsibilities) and plodding along for an hour or so whilst on a conference call or reading various bits of work (treadmills don't work too well when having to type) would be good. If I plan ahead I can get out to do things like this but I'd like the ability to do it on a whim and for shorter stints.

Otherwise my magic list would be (in no particular order). Wattbike Atom (for Zwift/etc). Concept 2. Weights machine (bench, with ability for pull down stuff and knee stuff). Kettle bells. Gym mat.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Oscar's dad

« Reply #20 on: 14 January, 2021, 03:24:59 pm »
Some useful thoughts, thanks.

I caught some of a telly programme yesterday evening about exercising at home and they were talking about strength exercising.  I confess I hadn't consider it before but can see its something I should look into particularly as its also been mentioned in this thread.

BTW, does anyone have an opinion in THESE?  I have used them a little at the gym and they might work in a garage setting.

Davef

« Reply #21 on: 14 January, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »

I caught some of a telly programme yesterday evening about exercising at home and they were talking about strength exercising.  I confess I hadn't consider it before but can see its something I should look into particularly as its also been mentioned in this thread.

BTW, does anyone have an opinion in THESE?  I have used them a little at the gym and they might work in a garage setting.
I have some from decathlon and they were only a few pounds. I don’t use them that often. I sometimes combine with a backpack with some weights in.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/suspension-trainer-dst-100-blue-red/_/R-p-309804?mc=8559625&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Surfaces%20For%20Google&utm_content=8559625-2901219&iv_=__iv_p_1_g_106843029532_c_436894719282_w_pla-907416406027_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_8559625-2901219_z_GB_i_en_j_907416406027_s__e__h_9041098_ii__vi__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI76aFq-Kb7gIVFoFQBh3iQwTmEAQYAiABEgKRzvD_BwE

Not sure why the decathlon ones are only £15 compared to £150. They come with a handy “workout in progress” pennant for the door handle.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22 on: 14 January, 2021, 04:06:04 pm »

Have a knock-off variant bought from Sainsbury's don't use it that often as I've not quite worked it out yet
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #23 on: 14 January, 2021, 04:13:47 pm »

They make bodyweight exercises much, much harder than using a fixed bar (or the floor). I made my own with a couple of cheap Olympic Rings and some tie down straps and used them quite a lot for a while - can't remember why I stopped. Proper ones are more comfortable cos the grip is straight, not curved but I'm sure you could create some with some 6" bits of pipe and some bar tape...

« Reply #24 on: 14 January, 2021, 04:56:13 pm »
Those are one of the items I intend to get once I've moved house.

They are one of the more versatile items you can get - lots of core work, body work can be done with them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>