Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 87254 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #450 on: 17 May, 2022, 01:51:43 pm »
My husband had it two weeks ago and I seem to have completely avoided it. Our flat is fairly small (65 square metres) so I rather expected to get it, even though he stayed in the spare room mostly.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #451 on: 18 June, 2022, 05:32:04 pm »
I have symptoms but last night tested negative. Temperature 1.2°C higher than normal. Oxygen levels 97%, pulse around 60. Feel pretty shite, but still mostly functional - sore throat, fluey creeping flesh, cough, a bit of a headache, a bit snotty.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #452 on: 18 June, 2022, 06:01:45 pm »
I have symptoms but last night tested negative. Temperature 1.2°C higher than normal. Oxygen levels 97%, pulse around 60. Feel pretty shite, but still mostly functional - sore throat, fluey creeping flesh, cough, a bit of a headache, a bit snotty.

So, a cold then?  :demon:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #453 on: 18 June, 2022, 06:56:35 pm »

So, a cold then?  :demon:

I'll give poor Wow 48 hours to show a positive LFD, unfortunately.

GWS!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #454 on: 18 June, 2022, 09:11:26 pm »
37.9°C now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #455 on: 18 June, 2022, 09:31:30 pm »
Get Well Soon!
Vitamin I is your friend, if you can take it, otherwise go for paracetamol. They do improve matters...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #456 on: 19 June, 2022, 11:09:04 am »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #457 on: 19 June, 2022, 01:34:06 pm »
That's a bugger Wow.

How is people getting LFDs?
I have a box of 20 (now 18) because I got my last one through work the day before it was shifted to patient facing staff only, but mither wants some cos she's going to be taking grandmither to divers hospitals in the next few weeks and needs to know what lies to tell.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #458 on: 19 June, 2022, 02:15:16 pm »
We still have a couple of unopened boxes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #459 on: 19 June, 2022, 02:16:03 pm »
Get Well Soon!
Who could have thunk you'd have The Plague?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #460 on: 19 June, 2022, 02:27:09 pm »
I've just discovered that if you already have 2 packs of paracetamol in your order, Waitrose won't let you order ibuprofen. Since Jan is asthmatic, ibuprofen doesn't agree with her.

« Reply #461 on: 19 June, 2022, 02:33:38 pm »
Not just Waitrose. Two packs of any pain killers is your lot (unless you go to a pharmacy).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #462 on: 19 June, 2022, 02:41:38 pm »
Gws, Peter.

I'm still recovering from COVID. Keep thinking I'm fine then. I do something like walk up the stairs and I'm knackered. Or I go outside and then my lungs feel like a clamp has been fastened around them
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #463 on: 19 June, 2022, 03:10:38 pm »
GWS Wow.  Your experience echoes that of one of our friends.  All the symptoms but negative LF.  A couple of days later and still with symptoms he tested positive.   

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #464 on: 19 June, 2022, 03:30:35 pm »
I've just discovered that if you already have 2 packs of paracetamol in your order, Waitrose won't let you order ibuprofen. Since Jan is asthmatic, ibuprofen doesn't agree with her.

Yes, it's bloody annoying. It's been the case for some years. Fortunately, I managed to get my daughter to pick me up 1000 ibuprofen from CVS in the USA recently. That'll keep me going a couple of years!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #465 on: 19 June, 2022, 03:31:09 pm »
Not just Waitrose. Two packs of any pain killers is your lot (unless you go to a pharmacy).

Poundland & ALDI don't seemed too bothered about bulk purchasing . . . . - and very cheap too compared to, say, Boots

« Reply #466 on: 19 June, 2022, 03:50:41 pm »

Poundland & ALDI don't seemed too bothered about bulk purchasing . . . . - and very cheap too compared to, say, Boots

It’s apparently MHRA best practice advice from 2012 on the sale of painkillers in general, no more than 2 packs of painkillers in any one transaction. Interpreted various ways - Tesco for example allow 2 x 16’s online and in stores with no pharmacy. If bought at a pharmacy 2 x 32’s are available.  Reason from MHRA is “to prevent stockpiling and accidental impulsive overdose” which seems reasonable. The absolute limit for one retail transaction is 100 aspirin or paracetamol - that’s a legal, not advisory, limit. I recall seeing one of the Van Tullikens do a TV show about pain management, and asking one woman to tell him what she took daily. She had all sorts of different brands, and after she’d lined them up on a mantlepiece, his comment was “well, that’s an overdose right there” as she hadn’t fully appreciated that they nearly all contained paracetamol and ibuprofen.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #467 on: 19 June, 2022, 05:03:06 pm »
Sainsbury's Ibuprofen 200mg dropped from 55p per box of 16 to 29p between my last two orders; I presume they are in competition with another supermarket.
I don't know about other analgesics.
Just saying...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #468 on: 19 June, 2022, 05:08:15 pm »
WR are charging massive amounts for ibuprofen. Mostly they are selling Nurofen at >£3 a pack.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #469 on: 19 June, 2022, 05:14:37 pm »
Nurofen IS pricy at Sainsbury's. I don't cough up that kind of cash unless desperate. No idea how much they are charging though.

« Reply #470 on: 19 June, 2022, 05:34:22 pm »
We just buy generic own-label stuff, mainly from Lloyds.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #471 on: 19 June, 2022, 06:16:58 pm »
I have a couple of unopened packs bb date Aug 2021. I had a couple of those on the basis that there's probably nothing wrong with them.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #472 on: 19 June, 2022, 09:20:46 pm »
CVS ibuprofen is about $20 for 1000.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #473 on: 19 June, 2022, 11:05:33 pm »
I have a couple of unopened packs bb date Aug 2021. I had a couple of those on the basis that there's probably nothing wrong with them.

I am personally quite happy to swallow ANCIENT tablets but must not recommend them...

« Reply #474 on: 20 June, 2022, 07:24:05 am »
Most symptoms gone now, just left with dragging exhaustion.

Managed to walk the dog this morning, a whole 200m slow walk.
<i>Marmite slave</i>