Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 476554 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1850 on: 30 January, 2016, 04:07:24 pm »
I appear to have woken from a coma, having dreamed the past 10 years.  After all, I'm listed as having ridden my first 200 and SR in 2016 :D

Is your real name Bobby Ewing?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1851 on: 30 January, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »
I appear to have woken from a coma, having dreamed the past 10 years.  After all, I'm listed as having ridden my first 200 and SR in 2016 :D

Is your real name Bobby Ewing?

Oh... And Congratulations!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1852 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:03:40 am »
Quote from: Mrs Cudzo
Your magazine is really boring.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1853 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:40:36 am »

I think it was Sheila who once said it's a club magazine, it's meant to be boring.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1854 on: 01 February, 2016, 11:10:04 am »

I think it was Sheila who once said it's a club magazine, it's meant to be boring.
I would hope it's meant to be interesting to club members!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1855 on: 01 February, 2016, 11:12:23 am »
It depends greatly on who the authors are in any particular issue and who the reader is. Arrivee quality inevitably goes up and down, like most AUK routes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1856 on: 01 February, 2016, 11:48:26 am »

I thought this edition was quite a good read.....
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #1857 on: 01 February, 2016, 12:33:41 pm »
Was all ready to get indignant about the whereabouts of my magazine when I realise that I never actually renewed my membership  :facepalm:

Since I haven't been near an audax ride since March 2014 it's probably just as well.....
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #1858 on: 01 February, 2016, 01:00:42 pm »
I think the magazine's generally excellent.  :thumbsup:

If anyone thinks the content is not up to snuff then they merely have get off their arses and send in a quality submission.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #1859 on: 01 February, 2016, 01:17:48 pm »
I think the magazine's generally excellent.  :thumbsup:

If anyone thinks the content is not up to snuff then they merely have get off their arses and send in a quality submission.

:thumbsup:

I had a ton of stuff I wanted to submit but forgot  :(

« Reply #1860 on: 01 February, 2016, 01:57:46 pm »
The "Dear Strava" piece was particularly well written.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1861 on: 01 February, 2016, 02:19:27 pm »

I thought this edition was quite a good read.....
Her comment was simply her opinion, told to me, as someone who infrequently rides a bike and has no interest in riding it a long, long way. In fact I'm not sure whether it was meant as an opinion on Arrivee compared to Cycle, which also comes through the post every couple of months, and any other cycling magazines there may be around here, or to what extent she differentiates between them. I think mostly it was proof of what IanH said: a club magazine is by its nature not too interesting to people outside that club. I only posted it here as a "view from outside" in a jokey way. But now I've got to thinking about it, compared to, say, Cycle, never mind a commercial magazine, Arrivee is very wordy: articles consisting of text over several pages with relatively small illustrations, and long lists of names and events which are obviously of no interest at all to anyone who doesn't at least recognise a name or two. It's that very wordiness which allows the detail which gives it interest to those who are in the club. In fact, comparing it to the journal of a professional association Mrs Cudzo belongs to, Arrivee seems to have longer articles with denser text, possibly a slightly more restricted focus, but the illustrations are more relevant to their articles!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1862 on: 01 February, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »
Large chunks of Arrivée are now Calendar listings or lists of prizewinners etc, which were previously secreted in the hard copy handbook and Calendar.

They aren't very interesting but warrant publication.

« Reply #1863 on: 01 February, 2016, 02:37:12 pm »
My only real beef with Arrivée is some of the image quality is shocking.

That's nothing to do with the editors or owt, they can only work with what they're given, more a call to contributors to step yo' game up.

« Reply #1864 on: 01 February, 2016, 02:55:29 pm »
You mean on top of riding, writing and actually submitting.....?

« Reply #1865 on: 01 February, 2016, 03:27:37 pm »

I'm not talking about the content of the photos, but the actual quality. Some photos look like they were taken on a hamburger.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1866 on: 01 February, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
That's nothing to do with the editors or owt, they can only work with what they're given, more a call to contributors to step yo' game up.

The problem is that in the case of most contributors to Arrivée, you're asking people to understand technical requirements that are outside the realm of their experience. It would be great if someone who really knows about photography could put together some easy-to-follow guidelines for contributors on how to take a picture that will look good in print. That would be a useful thing to put in the mag.

I know the basics of the production process - converting pics to CMYK and making sure they're of a high enough resolution for print - but the technicalities of actually taking a good quality pic in the first place are, tbh, beyond me, and I don't do repro stuff. I'm better at the words side of things.

I'm just grateful to anyone who takes the time and trouble to submit reports and/or pictures. It's all good. Arrivée isn't a commercial publication and shouldn't aspire to be - it's really more of a highly polished newsletter and works well in that capacity. We have to accept its limitations.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1867 on: 01 February, 2016, 05:06:08 pm »
Arrivée is privileged having Tim as one of its editors.

« Reply #1868 on: 01 February, 2016, 05:31:29 pm »
I'm just grateful to anyone everyone who takes the time and trouble to submit reports and/or pictures. It's all good.

^ This...and I'm also very grateful to those involved in the editing, production and distribution side too!

Phil W

« Reply #1869 on: 01 February, 2016, 05:57:12 pm »

I'm not talking about the content of the photos, but the actual quality. Some photos look like they were taken on a hamburger.

You're out riding for many hours. It's possibly been raining, your camera is likely in a jersey pocket, you've probably been sweating.  You see something and think that'd be a good picture. Sometimes you just take one as you'd like to capture something of the ride. You're riding a long way so the camera needs to be lightweight or perhaps it's your smartphone.  So it's highly unlikely you have high quality camera on you. The lens is possibly smudged, and you don't carry a lens cloth on an Audax.  You don't want to stop too long, you've got a ride to complete.

People rarely do a ride with thoughts in advance of writing an Arrivee article, so photos are rarely pre planned. Thoughts of writing an article come later.  So articles are what they are, the photos are what they are, and very much incorporate the rider's or volunteer's view of that particular event at that time.

I very much appreciate that the magazine is for the members, and that we all have the opportunity to submit our ramblings and snaps of events. The more varied the authors the more interesting the content I think. I appreciate that I've been able to submit my articles and photos and had them published.

There are many members I meet on events whom I think would tell wonderful stories, if they were to write it down and submit it to Arrivee. But when I gently suggest this, they lack the self confidence in most cases. Maybe they've seen people criticise others articles as boring or poor photos and this puts them off.

I never think to bemoan the articles in the magazine. I love the variety of writing styles and different views of what we do. We all have the power to submit articles. I'd hope we'd support those who do, and encourage others as well.

I for one am enjoying this edition, as I have the ones before it. Well done to Sheila and the contributors.

« Reply #1870 on: 01 February, 2016, 06:03:20 pm »
Was all ready to get indignant about the whereabouts of my magazine when I realise that I never actually renewed my membership  :facepalm:

That made me sit up a pay attention.

« Reply #1871 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:02:13 pm »
I personally love the rough edge gritty and genuine feel of it, words and pictures. I doubt many of us are either professional wordsmiths or photographers. So jolly well done to all contributors who bother to send stuff in. And thanks to the editors who do a splendid job putting it all together :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1872 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:30:50 pm »
I can honestly say that Arrivee is the worst  photography magazine I have ever bought.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1873 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »
I don't get it for the photography.
It's a club mag for what is still a small club. There are pictures of friends and the fun they are having.
Which is the way things should be IMO.
Arrivée is MUCH better than it was when I joined AUK.
You can't expect a snap of a rider after x00km to look like Vogue or match the gritty reportage of National Geographic.

« Reply #1874 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:32:26 pm »
I can honestly say that Arrivee is the worst  photography magazine I have ever bought.

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...