Author Topic: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes  (Read 48874 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes
« Reply #50 on: 04 July, 2008, 09:04:40 am »
Although the new tandem's main braking power comes from the hideously powerful rear disk, I think I may spring to replace the V brake pads with some of those Cool Stops.  The alternative gives me The Fear.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #51 on: 04 July, 2008, 09:05:12 am »
I went literally halfway through a set of 105 rear pads on a 60-mile wet ride. 

Now I can totally believe that, given the amount of weight they have to stop

;D ;D

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #52 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:27:01 pm »
If anyone want's them I have a set of original Ultegra blocks with only about 200 miles on them.

« Reply #53 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »
Have the people who like Shimano ever tried koolstop/swissstop?

No, but I haven't had a need to. The Ultegra blocks are lasting long enough for my liking and I'm able to lock the rear up, and brake sufficiently with the front in both wet and dry, from the hoods too.

(Tektro or Centaur levers depending on fixed/audax bike, Open Pro or Ambrosio Excellight rim and Ultegra blocks).

I've enough spares but keep an eye on the Wanted board in 6 months time and I might buy up any spares going round.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #54 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:40:28 pm »
So cheapest sources for these amazing pads.

« Reply #55 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:31:31 am »
Sorry to return to this but I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this and I can't get my head around the koolstop "model" names.

For Shimano 105 calipers, is it the "Dura" holders & inserts that I need?

I'm sure Spa will know but thought someone here might have already established what's what.

« Reply #56 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:11:08 am »
another one for kool stop here. i did a club run on saturday which was, in parts, very heavy on the brakes. i subsequently inspected the brake pads, and they were as smooth as could be.

they seem to wear out quicker than the shimano ones that seemed to eat my rims, but when i can get them for £2 per pair from my lbs i ain't complaining.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #57 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:15:59 pm »
My Ultegra shoes after around 1600 miles use and spectacular ineffectiveness on last Sunday's ride

The shiny crystalline bits will account for the grinding noise, not unlike that of a train when it's wheels are not perfectly aligned to the rails, as I descended and tried to slow down.

Top ones front, bottom ones rear.
Now binned and replaced with Salmon Koolstops as per the other bike  :thumbsup:

They also made the bike ver', ver' dirty  :(

« Reply #58 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:47:46 am »

Errrm, when I looked I found my calipers were tiagra not 105  ::-) the Dura koolstops are clearly not designed for these calipers (or at least the nut & bolt aren't) but I think I managed to bodge it.

bobajobrob

« Reply #59 on: 10 July, 2008, 07:20:27 pm »
Errrm, when I looked I found my calipers were tiagra not 105  ::-) the Dura koolstops are clearly not designed for these calipers (or at least the nut & bolt aren't) but I think I managed to bodge it.

I had to bodge them on my Shimano calipers. I sanded the inside of the caliper holes very slightly then added a thin washer on the inside of the calipers. Without the washer, the recessed nut was done up tight but the pad could still move around with a little force.

« Reply #60 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:58:03 pm »

my calipers are tiagra, and i use koolstop pads in a fibrax cartridge.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #61 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:44:01 pm »
Hydraulic disk brakes - no rim brake can compete in terms of power, control, feel, wet performance, longevity, rim wear, looks* or maintenance.

The only area where competition is possible, is the issue of repairing them in a desolate place.

Though based on how often I frequent somewhere like that... never... I think I'll take the risk!

The sooner manufacturers wake up and smell Canyon's coffee (at the start of 2009 according to the nice man from Canyon) and fit road specific disks to road bikes, the sooner rim-wear can be consigned to the bin.

*Okay, maybe this one is a little more subjective  O:-)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

gonzo

« Reply #62 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:52:44 pm »
You don't race do you JrG?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #63 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:53:46 pm »
The sooner manufacturers wake up and smell Canyon's coffee (at the start of 2009 according to the nice man from Canyon) and fit road specific disks to road bikes, the sooner rim-wear can be consigned to the bin.

And the UCI (which I think is what Gonzo is alluding to)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

gonzo

« Reply #64 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:55:31 pm »
Yup; the UCI!

You're not even allowed to train for cyclocross on a bike with disc brakes (no idea how the hell they check for that though!)

tiermat

« Reply #65 on: 25 July, 2008, 02:00:35 pm »
Easy, spy bushes....

you may laugh, but do you know for certain that the hawthorn you ride past on a regular basis is not on the UCI payroll? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jacomus

« Reply #66 on: 25 July, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »
No, your right, I don't race. Never really fancied it.

I don't see why they should ban disk brakes, other than because they don't fit the 'traditional' concept of what a roadbike should be*.

CycloX is the perfect application of disk brakes, they are allowed in XC and DH so why not CX?

*Based on a few snippets of anti-UCI conversations I have picked up
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

tiermat

« Reply #67 on: 25 July, 2008, 02:19:43 pm »
To quote the UCI "It would give those with disc brakes an unfair advantage" WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH and I'm taking my bat home

gonzo

« Reply #68 on: 25 July, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »
No, your right, I don't race. Never really fancied it.

I don't see why they should ban disk brakes, other than because they don't fit the 'traditional' concept of what a roadbike should be*.

CycloX is the perfect application of disk brakes, they are allowed in XC and DH so why not CX?

*Based on a few snippets of anti-UCI conversations I have picked up

because they don't fit the 'traditional' concept of what a roadbike should be*.

Jacomus

« Reply #69 on: 25 July, 2008, 02:27:36 pm »
To quote the UCI "It would give those with disc brakes an unfair advantage" WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH and I'm taking my bat home

I see... so in other words, Decathlon isn't doing so well at their research into road specific disk brakes?

bobajobrob

« Reply #70 on: 25 July, 2008, 03:06:39 pm »
because they don't fit the 'traditional' concept of what a roadbike should be*.

But CX bikes are not really road bikes, they have knobbly tyres and stuff.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #71 on: 31 July, 2008, 01:48:47 pm »
A Koolstop after 321 miles in 24 hours:

I draw 2 conclusions from this:
  • Going by the wear line 1mm from the bottom, I'm not very good at setting up blocks (OR I do pre-race prep just a little bit TOO last-minute), and
  • One does not brake very much at all whilst time-trialling.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #72 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:33:45 pm »
I thought I'd have a wee look here - what's the general opinion of the Dual Compound Kool Stops? Better than salmon?

ATM on the commuter I have the Salmons, but they are really shit in the wet. It gives me the fear when I come to the local crossroads near our flat on a wet morning and I'm not quite I'm convinced I'm not going to shoot straight through. :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #73 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:01:50 pm »
Dual Compound is similar to Salmon; no better in the rain.  In fact Salmon is designed more for the wet than Dual Compound.

In my experience, braking with all rim brakes in shit when it's raining heavily, no matter what the pads are.  There's always that scary delay while water is cleared from the rim.  Salmons work well for me in the dry and light rain when the rim is not swimming with water.

It may help to degrease the rims and sand the pads.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #74 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:21:19 pm »
Yup; the UCI!

You're not even allowed to train for cyclocross on a bike with disc brakes (no idea how the hell they check for that though!)

???

That's ridiculous. Why on earth would they want to control the way you train?
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark