Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576078 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #525 on: 10 August, 2011, 08:41:41 pm »
Regulator is a kiwi?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #526 on: 10 August, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »
NZ also has one of the fastest passport services that I've ever come across.

I had used my UK passport to travel to NZ for many years.  I decided to get a NZ passport.  Filled in a short form and took it to NZ House in Haymarket, together with the fee.  Handed it over.

The passport information was emailed to NZ straight away, the application was processed and the passpost printed the very same day.  I had the passport in my hand, from NZ via post, 48 hours after I handed the paperwork.

The quickest I've had a passport returned to me here is four days - and that was for a straightforward renewal.

I had two UK passports (both mine) done in the space of 3 hours.

Work sprang a trip on me at a time I didn't have a passport. Off to Petty France in the morning I go...

Second in the queue outside the passport office with photos/form/fees/cheque/etc, walked out with a passport an hour later. On the tube on the way back to work I noticed they'd put my surname as 'GREENBAND'. Back to Petty France, jumped the queue and they did me another with my correct surname within 30 mins.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LindaG

« Reply #528 on: 10 August, 2011, 10:54:50 pm »
Why did I go back to sleep this afty?  I'll be up all bloody night now   :-\

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #529 on: 11 August, 2011, 11:31:39 am »
It's no good expecting us to change over the default printers of all those users if you don't tell us when it needs to be done.  "As per $NETWORK_BOD's instructions" doesn't help if they're not supplied.  I expect they've been sent to The Boss, who is on holibobs for the next fortnight.

And now the cheeky fucker, from whom I requested the instructions on Monday and which he has still not supplied, has had the sheer bloody nerve to chase up the Helldesk call whining about it not having been completed.  Read your fucking e-mails, you big knobby twatter!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #530 on: 11 August, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »
Self: whilst listening to the cricket yesterday thinking "I can't wait to watch the highlights", ensure that you actually set the PVR to record the highlights. Failure to do so renders you liable to having to watch them on Channel 5's Demand5 "service", which is a total pile of shite.

Channel 5: Mark Nicholas; why?

Channel 5: Fix your on demand service please. It stinks. I had a 10Mbs download speed at 7am this morning & there couldn't have been many viewers at that time, but it was atrocious trying to watch the highlights with pauses every 30 seconds. I gave up.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #531 on: 11 August, 2011, 03:23:48 pm »
Hateful bloody DIY. If it took twice as long as expected that would be great. And trying to get plumbing spares locally? No diaphragms, but we can sell you another whole inlet valve...

Bah.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #532 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:29:24 pm »
There are no cheap tickets to Leyland on a Saturday, not even if I wait until the end of October.

I now get to choose which Saturday:
* Mildenhall Rally
* yacf camping weekend
* FNRttC (York-Hull)

By the last weekend on the list n+1 will have been sitting in the shop waiting for me for over a month.  :(

And I'm in the office late today, but perhaps that belongs in the rant thread.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #533 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »
National Hospital, Queen Square:
I am aware I need six-monthly routine blood tests. You usually send me a blood test form in the post. My last tests were done on 2 December 2010.
In June, I tried phoning the MS Nurses to arrange another blood test but got a recorded announcement they were no longer on the number I had used. No other phone number was given on that announcement. ICNBA to phone the hospital switch as I still have a will to live.
It might have been polite if you had somehow informed me of your new Direct Dial phone number.

On Monday 8 August 2011, I received a letter with a blood form enclosed. It was dated 29 June 2011 and postmarked 5 August 2011.
HOW IN THE NAME OF $$DEITY$$ DOES IT TAKE 6 WEEKS TO PUT A ROUTINE LETTER IN THE POST??

Thank you for phoning me about my blood test this morning. I am disabled and cannot teleport myself in your direction quite yet. I will attend early next week. It's hardly urgent as there are sufficient prescriptions to keep me supplied until November.

It is your bureaucracy that is at fault which is not my problem.

« Reply #534 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:58:19 pm »
Window cleaner, saying your bits were nicked out of your van last week is an odd excuse for turning up fortnightly when we're monthly customers, and you admit you have all your records at home, not in the van. Go away and stop trying to sneak extra money out of people for unnecessary washing. And yes, you could come back in 2 weeks, but we're having the windows replaced then, so it's a bit pointless.

Weather, sort yourself out.

Headache, piss off.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #535 on: 13 August, 2011, 06:52:40 pm »
Highlight Entertainment. What is wrong with this sentence?

Please note although the venue will endeavour to have all your party on one table, larger party's may be split across tables and smaller party's may be sharing their table with other parties.

Show your workings.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jakob

« Reply #536 on: 13 August, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »
We're in the process of applying for Permanent Residency here in Canada, which inevitably involves a lot of paper work, including criminal records from every country we've lived in since we were was 18.
- New Zealand : send a single page form and they'll send the result directly to immigration services. Cost: Nothing
- Denmark: send an email and specify what language I want the record in. Cost: Nothing
- Korea: Get relative to pick up a copy from the local police station. Cost: Nothing.
- UK: Send a 9 page document, including 2 passport photos endorsed by a professional. Also pay 35 pounds for processing and 7 pounds shipping.

Having said that, the S-I-L only got a photocopy of the Korean one and we need the original.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #537 on: 14 August, 2011, 08:12:03 am »
NZ also has one of the fastest passport services that I've ever come across.

I had used my UK passport to travel to NZ for many years.  I decided to get a NZ passport.  Filled in a short form and took it to NZ House in Haymarket, together with the fee.  Handed it over.

The passport information was emailed to NZ straight away, the application was processed and the passpost printed the very same day.  I had the passport in my hand, from NZ via post, 48 hours after I handed the paperwork.

The quickest I've had a passport returned to me here is four days - and that was for a straightforward renewal.

I had two UK passports (both mine) done in the space of 3 hours.

Work sprang a trip on me at a time I didn't have a passport. Off to Petty France in the morning I go...

Second in the queue outside the passport office with photos/form/fees/cheque/etc, walked out with a passport an hour later. On the tube on the way back to work I noticed they'd put my surname as 'GREENBAND'. Back to Petty France, jumped the queue and they did me another with my correct surname within 30 mins.

I know that you can have it done as an express service here (but you pay through the nose for it) but what impressed me about getting my NZ passport was that this was the normal service.  No extra payment or requirement to go through a fast track process - this was just their normal service.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #538 on: 14 August, 2011, 08:12:47 am »
Regulator is a kiwi?

Yep.  Born and bred in God's own country.   :smug:

Green Party Councillor

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #539 on: 14 August, 2011, 03:13:01 pm »
Idiot waitress.  Please STOP asking me if I've finished with my meal every two minutes. 
I like to eat slowly.  The fact that I do not have my knife and fork in my hands does not mean anything.  Look at my plate.  Knife and fork placed in open order.
When I wish to indicate that I am done, I will place them in closed order.
Did they teach you nothing at the University of Hair and Nails?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #540 on: 14 August, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »
Regulator is a kiwi?

Never knew we had kiwis in Yorkshire  ;D

« Reply #541 on: 14 August, 2011, 09:07:53 pm »
Holidaymakers next door, please take your screaming and shouting hellspawn and put them to bed instead of letting them run riot outside.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #542 on: 16 August, 2011, 12:58:46 pm »
I projected my pension fund with yesterday's premium was to leap past £100,000 instead next month I might get back above £90,000.  :'(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #543 on: 16 August, 2011, 01:26:11 pm »
Idiot waitress.  Please STOP asking me if I've finished with my meal every two minutes. 
I like to eat slowly.  The fact that I do not have my knife and fork in my hands does not mean anything.  Look at my plate.  Knife and fork placed in open order.
When I wish to indicate that I am done, I will place them in closed order.
Did they teach you nothing at the University of Hair and Nails?

whilst we are on stupid food carries in restaurants.  STOP ASKING ME IF THINGS ARE OK.  If anything was wrong, you would be the first to know, and if I really enjoy it I will let you know at the end.  Now just leave me alone to eat and stop passing by to ask me stupid questions.  How would like it if I wandered past you every five minutes and asked you if your meal was ok?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #544 on: 16 August, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »
I do NOT appreciate predatory service. Kindly do not hover by my table like a vulture, ready to clear away my plate as soon as I put the last morsel in my mouth.
I visit a restaurant for a pleasant, leisurely meal. If I wished to be on a production line conveyor belt, I might choose a factory...

« Reply #545 on: 16 August, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »
The street outside is blocked off with police, fire and ambulance in attendance.  Apparently someone has threatened to set themselves on fire at the Immigration office over the road.
An appalling number of people in my office saying "leave them to it"...
:sick:

News report
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #546 on: 16 August, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »
Wot the blazes has gone wrong with that FTP wossname?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #547 on: 16 August, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »
Builders nextdoor.  Surely there can't be anything left to drill holes in, can there?

Regulator

« Reply #548 on: 16 August, 2011, 04:45:57 pm »
Regulator is a kiwi?

Despite its delusions of grandeur, Yorkshire is not actually a country...  ;)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #549 on: 16 August, 2011, 04:56:08 pm »
Regulator is a kiwi?

Despite its delusions of grandeur, Yorkshire is not actually a country...  ;)
And for the first time ever, we have proof positive that greg is definitively, absolutely wrong.
<i>Marmite slave</i>