Author Topic: 29ers - forks  (Read 5397 times)

29ers - forks
« on: 18 January, 2012, 09:19:30 pm »
I'm building a 29er - a Cotic Solaris to be exact, and I'm trying to find some good 100mm travel forks. I tried On-One but the RockShox Reba RLs are out of stock. Any suggestions??

The bike will be used for XC rather than downhill but I do want a bolt-thru axle rather than a QR.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: 29ers - forks
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »
On one would normally be my first port of call.

I've got a set of Toras on my Swift which I'm happy with, and the Manitou Towers have has good reviews. Charlie the Bikemonger has some but they're QR rather than bolt through. For XC though isn't bolt through overkill? Unless of course ou already have bolt through hubs....

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »
For XC though isn't bolt through overkill? Unless of course ou already have bolt through hubs....

If you're nervous about using QRs with disks, bolt through makes perfect sense. It also stiffens up the front end noticeably (something I wouldn't have believed until I tried it) and logically that difference would be greater with the larger wheel size. Finally, of course, there are security advantages to bolt through, if you ever leave the bike locked up....

I'm afraid I have no answer to the OP's question...  :-\
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »
Really want bolt-through if possible. Similar to PhilO - I never bought into it until I tried a bike with one. It really changes the handling.

Also - this is my dream mtb so I want all the bling, so I'm going to for a steel 29er with good forks and bling wheels (Hope hubs and Stans Crest rims)

Seems that the internet can't supply Maxle 29er forks for under £500 - might have to ask around at the LBS if On-one can't source one at the price on the site that I ordered...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:22:56 pm »
Worth a look at Merlin, they often have good deals on forks. http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/
Though from a quick check, it seems their cheapest 29er Rockshox fork with bolt-through is £518.

PaulF

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2012, 08:50:50 am »
Really want bolt-through if possible. Similar to PhilO - I never bought into it until I tried a bike with one. It really changes the handling.

Also - this is my dream mtb so I want all the bling, so I'm going to for a steel 29er with good forks and bling wheels (Hope hubs and Stans Crest rims)

Seems that the internet can't supply Maxle 29er forks for under £500 - might have to ask around at the LBS if On-one can't source one at the price on the site that I ordered...

Fair enough, I haven't actually ridden a set so I'm going on hearsay :rolleyes:

You might want to ask over here about forks as it's a more mtb orientated forum. Or if you're going to/prepared to buy online from  the States you could look over there. The US has bought into 29ers far more than over here!

Nice looking bike btw - have you decided on the rest of the setup yet?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:06:24 am »
If I was building this up I see that Cotic also do the same frame with stuff to make Alfine work
I'd go for that meself

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:15:53 am »
If I was building this up I see that Cotic also do the same frame with stuff to make Alfine work
I'd go for that meself

I know, I know... If I hadn't got a complete XT groupset for £500 then I'd seriously consider the Simple and Alfine 11...

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:26:03 am »
Fair enough, I haven't actually ridden a set so I'm going on hearsay :rolleyes:

You might want to ask over here about forks as it's a more mtb orientated forum. Or if you're going to/prepared to buy online from  the States you could look over there. The US has bought into 29ers far more than over here!

Nice looking bike btw - have you decided on the rest of the setup yet?

Singletrackworld is a bit hardcore for me and this question - they all think £500 forks are rubbish whereas I want to pay £300! This forum seems to have a lot of bargain hunters - for example I've just had a good browse round Merlin Cycles and might get my wheelset there - thanks fuaran!

Setup is in my little spreadsheet - but basically Shimano XT running gear, probably Hope Hubs (maybe gold if I'm being bling) and Stans Crest rims.

« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:28:55 am »
Getting a bargain usually doesn't tie in with having a time scale I'm afraid.

I've got a Singular Swift and in November picked up a pair of (QR) Reba SL 100mm forks from On One for half price...but that's because like you I wouldn't pay £500 for them and waited 5 months until they were shifting stock.

How about getting some On One or Exotic rigid carbon forks for < £100 for the moment, then keep your eyes peeled for the bargain fork you want (On One, Merlin are usually good, also watch the Singletrackworld forum for heads-up posts about bargains). Then sell the rigid fork for £50.

Of course, if you've already got the bolt-thru wheels then these won't work with the rigid forks suggested... ::-)

For what it's worth, I've put my Singular steel forks back on the Swift for the moment. They're brilliant. I'll give the Rebas a good run out through this summer, but don't right off rigid forks on a 29er if you're using it for XC stuff.

« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:30:19 am »
...probably Hope Hubs (maybe gold if I'm being bling) and Stans Crest rims.

I have the Stans 3.30 hubs on Crest rims, tubeless. Fantastic wheels, 1550g the pair with rim strips! :o

PaulF

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:39:00 am »

I've got a Singular Swift and in November picked up a pair of (QR) Reba SL 100mm forks from On One for half price...but that's because like you I wouldn't pay £500 for them and waited 5 months until they were shifting stock.

For what it's worth, I've put my Singular steel forks back on the Swift for the moment. They're brilliant. I'll give the Rebas a good run out through this summer, but don't right off rigid forks on a 29er if you're using it for XC stuff.

What do you think of the Reba's? Was tempted when I saw them on offer before Christmas but resisted, now I'm off the bike and stricken by 'upgrade fever'!

« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:39:28 am »
Getting a bargain usually doesn't tie in with having a time scale I'm afraid.

How about getting some On One or Exotic rigid carbon forks for < £100 for the moment, then keep your eyes peeled for the bargain fork you want (On One, Merlin are usually good, also watch the Singletrackworld forum for heads-up posts about bargains). Then sell the rigid fork for £50.

Of course, if you've already got the bolt-thru wheels then these won't work with the rigid forks suggested... ::-)

I've got a five week wait on the frame and I've locked the credit card away to stop impulse purchasing... so I might still get a bargain but rigid is worth investigating - thanks for the tip!

What is your view on tubeless? Hype or worth a go?

PaulF

« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
Tubeless?

Go for it! I converted a few months ago and haven't had any problems, bit more effort to fit the tyre but no visitations so far. And you should have fewer problems fitting on a 'proper' rather than converted rim.

« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:51:14 am »
What do you think of the Reba's?

Not done much with them yet, but I'm pleased with how light and 'plush' they are. The remote lockout switch is very cheap and flimsy; can't see that lasting too long.

« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:56:13 am »
What is your view on tubeless? Hype or worth a go?

Go for it! I converted a few months ago and haven't had any problems, bit more effort to fit the tyre but no visitations so far. And you should have fewer problems fitting on a 'proper' rather than converted rim.

Also no problems and wouldn't go back to tubes. Had two or three rides where I've got home, checked the tyres later on and found a little bit of sealant where I had a puncture but didn't even notice.

It's not great if you're a relentless tyre-changer, but once you've done it a few times you can switch tyres in 15 minutes, and the sealant can be scooped out and re-used in the new one.