Author Topic: Trail tyres  (Read 7650 times)

Re: Trail tyres
« Reply #25 on: 22 April, 2013, 12:24:02 pm »
Does anyone know of an idiots guide to going tubeless please? My new wheels and tyres are suitable and I'd like to do a bit of reading before I decide.
My LBS is only sketchy on the pros and cons.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #26 on: 22 April, 2013, 01:12:40 pm »
Does anyone know of an idiots guide to going tubeless please? My new wheels and tyres are suitable and I'd like to do a bit of reading before I decide.
My LBS is only sketchy on the pros and cons.

It's really quite simple :)

1. Depending exactly on your rims fit either rim strip with valve or just the valve to rim. Ideally the valves have a removable core.

2. Fit tyre to rim - this may need some soapy water if the tyre is a tight fit.

3. This is the  tricky bit! Inflate the tyre until it seats. CO2 canisters or a compressor can help but I've also got some to mount using a floor pump. Failing that a 'ghetto inflator' - see below.

4. Once seated, deflate, squirt in some Stan's (or other) fluid. Re-inflate, then shake the wheel as directed to fill any tiny holes

5. Enjoy a puncture free existence

A Ghetto Inflator basically a large plastic Coke bottle (other brands are available) with 2 valves, one with a core missing in the lid. With some tubing connected the non core valve to the tyre and kink the hose so that it locks off - I use a mole wrench. Then pump the bottle up to about 60psi, release the pressure and the tyre should mount.

« Reply #27 on: 23 April, 2013, 05:22:37 pm »
Thanks for that, that side of it sounds straightforward enough.

Do you need to top up or replace the sealant inside the tyres every so often? I think I've read that it'll last for 2 to 7 months but am hoping it lasts for longer.
If a puncture is gained that doesn't seal, is it easy enough to knock out the valve and pop an inner tube in?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #28 on: 23 April, 2013, 07:38:44 pm »
I top the sealant up every few months. Seems to depend on the temperature.

If it doesn't seal it's pretty easy, if somewhat messy, to put in a tube.

« Reply #29 on: 28 April, 2013, 07:30:16 am »
Thanks again, will wait for payday and then hopefully it doesn't take me to too long to actually get round to having a go.

« Reply #30 on: 28 April, 2013, 08:37:49 am »
Fire XC Pro most of the year (they're popular for a reason) and Trailraker 1.75s for the worst of winter.