Author Topic: Truncating a sleep mat  (Read 1784 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Truncating a sleep mat
« on: 12 January, 2022, 04:43:46 pm »
If you have an inflatable sleeping mat that is significantly longer than you are, or just longer than you want, it is possible to shorten it. I haven't done this myself but I know people who have done and it works.* Obviously, you invalidate any guaranty. There are various instructional/inspirational/misleading videos online, eg: https://youtu.be/90Fx6TLNEJQ but it wouldn't have occurred to me if I hadn't been told about it. 

You need a pad with baffles that run side to side not head to toe (though presumably a mat with head to toe baffles could be made narrower in the same way). Wallpaper shears are said to be a good cutting tool. Best to cut slightly in board of the final cell that you'll be keeping, so that you can remove the innards and seal more easily. Remove the baffles and insulation. Seal with a hot iron, no steam. Practise on the piece to be discarded first, to get the right temperature. It will probably take several passes of the iron. Test and hope!

*Needless to say, do not hold me responsible if you try it and it fails!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Truncating a sleep mat
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2022, 05:48:24 pm »
Or you could buy a mat that's the right size in the first place...   :o

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2022, 06:09:47 pm »
The person I know who did this is 5' 3", her husband is 6' 3", they bought a pair of matching mats. Maybe got a discount for buying two, I don't know. After a few years, they got a smaller tent and the size began to matter more. But I can think of all sorts of situations where you might want to reduce a mat in size. For instance, you might be shorter than the smallest mat, or the one you want might only be available in a large size. Or you might have a mat which has suffered an unsealable  puncture or terminal baffle failure, you could then repurpose the remaining length as a torso pad, sit mat, child's mat or bed for your hike-a-dog.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2022, 06:24:11 pm »
GPWM

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2022, 07:33:17 am »
GPWM = get pretty with me or good point well made?

The perils of looking up acronyms or slang and reading the first link

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2022, 09:27:52 am »
Or buy a 3/4 length mat

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2022, 09:42:49 am »
GPWM = get pretty with me or good point well made?

The perils of looking up acronyms or slang and reading the first link
I'm pretty with everyone but Kim doesn't appreciate my beauty because she's colour blind.  :P

https://youtu.be/0ZszwdVUoLg
How to get your sleep mat pretty!

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:41:48 pm »
Given the price of decent sleep mats, the last thing I'd want to do is trust myself to hack one apart! :o

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:43:34 pm »
Or get a foam karrimat, and cut it to whatever size and shape you like.