Author Topic: Tent advice for CrinklyCub's birthday!  (Read 4768 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Tent advice for CrinklyCub's birthday!
« on: 19 September, 2010, 08:23:21 pm »
Eldest Cub is going to be 9 - this week!  I had vaguely wondered about taking him camping in the October half term, and it occurred to me that actually a 2-man (possibly cheap and cheerful) tent would make a rather exciting birthday present - and would probably do for me and him for a couple of nights.

I'm currently wandering round rather a lots of website to see what I can find that looks OK (and ideally have a chance of getting in time for Thursday although it wouldn't be a deal-breaker if I had to give him a printout of an online order as his present), and Dearly_Beloved has agreed that this sounds like quite a good pressie....

Any recommendations?

Re: Tent advice for CrinklyCub's birthday!
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
Car, bike or hiking camping ? It's a weight thing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:36:27 pm »
Bike - sorry, should have said that, shouldn't I?  Needs to be small enough and light enough for me to cart it, along with most of our other stuff, in a couple of Ortlieb back rollers.  He will be able to lug a bit of stuff, but we'll probably have to borrow some kit which may well not be optimal for lightweight camping.  A 2 pixieannie tent will fit the pair of us in, need to have a bit of porch space for shoes etc but a pannier or two would normally fit in his leg space in a tent cos he's only little.  Budget up to 50 quid or thereabouts, I reckon.

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »
You might need to spend more to keep the weight down. Tents are like lingerie the less material the more expensive they are.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:42:54 pm »
I remember the first time I handed a pop-up tent to my younger son and told him to throw it up in the air. He was absolutely delighted.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »
I have a Stormshield 2 man tent that I no longer use.It's unfortunate that this didn't crop up last week:I could have brought it up on Friday for you to look at.
If time is not pressing I can bring it with me next time I come to York: atm end October.Maybe sooner depending on various things.
I'll have a search on t'internet to see if I can put a link up.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2010, 09:36:10 pm »
Well, I've found one cheap and cheerful:

Peakland Eyam 200 - Tents | Camping Tents

And 3 a bit over budget:

Coleman Avior X2 - Tents | Camping Tents

Vango Spectre 200 Tent - Tents | Camping Tents

Vango Banshee 300 Tent - Tents | Camping Tents

They all weigh in at, apparently, under 3kg and pack down to what seems small to me.  The banshee would actually fit me and 2 cubs in, I reckon.  Hmmm.....

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2010, 09:29:08 am »
He will be able to lug a bit of stuff, but we'll probably have to borrow some kit which may well not be optimal for lightweight camping. 

If there's anything I can lend, let me know. My stuff isn't especially light or up to date, and my sleeping bag is probably a bit scabby to lend out, but I've got a bedroll and trangia.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2010, 09:46:04 am »
I've a Banshee 200, great little tent for cycle camping.  Only problem I have with it is I cant sit upright in it, and would probably go for something taller if I was doing anything more than a one or two day tour where I just needed sleep space.  Is there still a Blacks in York? they usually have some tents  put up so you can try them.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2010, 10:10:25 am »
I remember the first time I handed a pop-up tent to my younger son and told him to throw it up in the air. He was absolutely delighted.

Indeed - the cub had that very experience in the summer when camping in the back garden at Grandad's!  But from what I can see, pop-ups are a bit tricky for bike-transportation.  And we won't be doing any car camping - we don't have a car, I don't drive and Dearly_Beloved (who does drive, although we flogged the car about a year ago and have only hired one about 3 times since) doesn't 'do' camping.  Yet  ;D

I have a Stormshield 2 man tent that I no longer use.

That might be interesting - is it light though?  That (and pack size) have got to be manageable, as I reckon that the boy will probably manage his own clothes and either a sleeping bag or a mat, but I'll be carting everything else.  And in October we're likely to need a few warm layers!

If there's anything I can lend, let me know. My stuff isn't especially light or up to date, and my sleeping bag is probably a bit scabby to lend out, but I've got a bedroll and trangia.

Thank you!

I've a Banshee 200, great little tent for cycle camping.  Only problem I have with it is I cant sit upright in it

The current Banshee 200 is 85cm at its tallest point (it also looks very familiar - I'm trying to work out if that's what EldestCub and I borrowed off BOAB at edwardstone because if it is we fitted in a cosy but manageable way) and the 300 is apparently 100cm.  And I'm only 5'1annabit!  I wouldn't have looked at the '3 man' one particularly, but at £60 it appears to be cheaper.  0.6kg extra weight and an extra couple of cm in each direction when packed compared with the 2 man version, but still only 2.6kg and a packed size of 44x14....

« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2010, 10:25:41 am »
I'd personally go for a dome or a symmetrical tunnel. Increases the pack size a bit, but has the huge advantage of enabling a couple of people to sit up facing one another. If stuck inside tent due to wet weather, that can be really really useful. I've memories of playing catch games, storytelling, playing cards when the kids were littleuns.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2010, 11:00:45 am »
I'd personally go for a dome or a symmetrical tunnel. Increases the pack size a bit, but has the huge advantage of enabling a couple of people to sit up facing one another. If stuck inside tent due to wet weather, that can be really really useful. I've memories of playing catch games, storytelling, playing cards when the kids were littleuns.

I'd agree with this - our Vango tent failed dramatically after 6 weeks of use (will never touch another of their products), and going to a slightly larger dome (more inner, less porch) was a revelation in terms of being able to cook inside as well as having room to slouch with books or cards.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2010, 11:42:27 am »

I have a Stormshield 2 man tent that I no longer use.

That might be interesting - is it light though?  That (and pack size) have got to be manageable, as I reckon that the boy will probably manage his own clothes and either a sleeping bag or a mat, but I'll be carting everything else.  And in October we're likely to need a few warm layers!

In it's pack bag which contains inner & outer tents,sewn-in groundsheet,poles & steel pegs it weighs 2.9kg.You could save a little weight by substituting the steel pegs for thin sqewers or plastic pegs.
Dimensions;
580 long
250wide
110 high

I used to carry it on top of the rear rack,quite tidily :thumbsup:

I've not yet found something similar on the net to link to but size-wise it accommodates me & a 10 year old with panniers under small porch at each end.IIRC the height at the front is approx 900mm & at the back is 650-ish.The width will take two thermarests side-by-side

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2010, 03:51:58 pm »
Well, I've wandered around various camping shops.  The Vango Banshee 2 man is a bit snug for two, the 3 man would fit 2 easily and 3 cosily.  But the door on the side is a pain because you end up clambering over each other, and the height at your head/feet is limited and there isn't masses of space to sit up sensibly.

Milletts had pretty much sold out of everything - I had considered a couple of the cheapy eurohike ones there, but they were all gone.

Blacks in town has closed.  Looking online there's a couple of cheap eurohike ones, but they're relatively heavy.  The Octane 2 looks nice but is far too expensive for a birthday present for him (but I may be visiting that site again when it's my birthday....)

Yeoman's had pretty much all of their cheap and cheerful Peakland models in stock, and pitched for you to look at.  SmallestCub and I spent a good half hour climbing in and out of (slightly wobbly, because they weren't all pegged and guyed on the solid wood floor!) various models, playing with zips and comparing porch sizes.  He likes the big 3 man tunnel with a gigantic porch, but agreed that it was probably a bit big and heavy for my bike, since it weighs in at nearly 5kg.  They had a 2 man double skin dome with a bit of porch space and the slightly smaller and lighter 2 man tunnel one linked to earlier, a couple of quid more in the shop that online, but both of them uner 35 quid.  They're clearly cheap tents, but I did once live in a supermarket 20 pound tent for 3 months without suffering massively.  The tunnel is a slightly smaller inner, and a slightly lower headspace, but with a bigger and more useful porch.  Less than half a kilo difference in the weight, and only a couple of cm in the pack size.  And both of them could just about be pitched in the living room, with suitable tying bits to chairs etc, for practising sleeping in.

Although I'm possibly more interested in Jogler's hand-me-down!  How much would you want for it, and (and this is a very important question) how idiot-proof is it?

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »
afaik, Blacks has just moved - it's on Coney street, not far from Betties (next to Budgins perfume shop). I was in there 2 weeks ago.

Evans cycles out at Monks Cross used to have a big camping section - I think they were combined with another store.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2010, 05:31:39 pm »
Although I'm possibly more interested in Jogler's hand-me-down!  How much would you want for it, and (and this is a very important question) how idiot-proof is it?

I'll erect it on the lawn,possibly tomorrow,to make sure it has no problems(it's been in store for a while) & then suggest a £.
It's eay to erect:it has only two poles to the inner & the flysheet is easily attached & then pegged & guy lines.
If poss. I'll take some piccies too.

« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »
One that doesn't leak.  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #17 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:30:12 pm »
Here's the pics.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:35:39 pm »
Here's the pics.

Strong enough to walk on!
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #19 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:36:34 pm »
I was wrong about the poles(shock cord type).There are 3,not 2.

The shortest pole is sleeved at the back of the inner tent
The longest pole is sleeved at the front of the flysheet
The other pole is sleeved at the front of the inner tent.

I reckon £25 is a reasonable asking price plus £7 p&P =£32 total.

If you want to have a look before you buy,I suggest that I send it to you:you have a look-see/fettle-erect & if you are happy with it all  I'll have the £ when I come to York at the end of October.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #20 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »
It occurrs to me that given your rather wide rear rack with a pannier each side,the tent would fit well across the width of the panneirs & rack:at 90* to that shown on my bike IYSWIM.
just sayin'

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #21 on: 22 September, 2010, 03:00:22 pm »
C.L., it's in the parcel post.To the address you suggested.Post Office reckon 3 to 5 days ::-)
It would be quicker to cycle up there with it ;D

« Reply #22 on: 22 September, 2010, 03:03:09 pm »
In the first photo, I didn't realise it was on a table in front of the garden chair, and was thinking "Yikes, that's huge". ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #23 on: 22 September, 2010, 03:23:46 pm »
He's going to get a photo in a birthday card tomorrow :)

given your rather wide rear rack....

...just sayin'

Well, really sir.  Commenting upon one's rack!

« Reply #24 on: 25 September, 2010, 07:51:40 pm »
Well, really sir.  Commenting upon one's rack!

When I did tryout shows for Company of Cyclists, and people wanted to try out the upright tricycles, I often had to stop myself half way through saying "...and remember you're wider behind than nomal...."
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk