Author Topic: Leaking groundsheet  (Read 1527 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Leaking groundsheet
« on: 06 May, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »
Last night saw us camping in The Girl's tent in a field in Kent.

Knowing that her tent a Mountain Co-op Tarn 3 has a lightweight somewhat porous nylon/PU groundsheet, we put a full on tarp beneath it.

It rained in the night, and our siting of the tarp wasn't ideal, such that it protruded from beneath the edge of the tent.  Rain got on top of it , ran across it and end up in the tent. With hilarious results.

I guess the options are (a) re-proof the existing integral groundsheet and/or (b) cut the tarp to size so nowt sticks out.

Any thing else?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Leaking groundsheet
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »
put the tarp inside the tent?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2012, 11:17:42 pm »
Use the tarp as a hammock?

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2012, 09:10:59 am »
Great excuse to go tent shopping ;D

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2012, 09:13:56 pm »
We discovered that the integral groundsheet in our tent is starting to get distinctly damp patches on the trip we just returned from, where it rained lots and the ground got rather wet.

It's a good tent but has put in some decent service between me and it's previous owner and is worth rescuing, so I'm going with the two-pronged approach of attempting to reproof it with something or other, and trying to get a footprint that more or less fits...

PH

« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:45:16 pm »
If you have access to a sewing machine it's a pretty straightforward job to replace one.  Pennine outdoor can supply the fabric and the sealer.  I did one recently, the most time consuming part was unpicking the old one and the only awkward bit was sealing the corners.  Took an afternoon from start to finish without rushing. Cost around £20.