Author Topic: Fibreglass poles and dome tents  (Read 1417 times)

Fibreglass poles and dome tents
« on: 18 July, 2012, 08:01:46 am »
I bought a £20 Tesco dome tent for when I stop over at the office, it gets used twice a week normally.  It's brilliant value for what it is, except that the poles keep coming apart, at the rate of about one section a month.  I really can't be @rsed with fixing these all the time, but I guess that getting alloy ones would cost about £50.  Is it possible to get a better quality of fibreglass ones that won't keep de-striating or whatever the word is?

On the same topic, I note that TNF do a range of dome tents (with alloy poles), I'm interested in getting a 2-man hill tent for use with my daughter, is something like http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=8323 going to be stable enough? - I never thought simple dome tents were.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Fibreglass poles and dome tents
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2012, 08:06:46 am »
Interesting!  How does that work?  I'm guessing you camp on a site near your office?

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2012, 08:51:18 am »
Er, it actually fits more into the "wild camping" category.  I won't say where but it's a lovely spot (when it's not raining), arrive after 10:30 and leave by 7, never any trouble.  I play badminton on Tues and go to a local T'ai Chi class on Weds, fitting about 5 hrs' OT in over the 3 days too, + saving on travel costs.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2012, 10:33:01 am »
Very clever!  Good luck to you.  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2012, 11:38:34 am »
If you're camping so often it might be worth just getting the better tent and using that for work overnights as well and trips with your daughter.  I'd have thought that the NF tent would do the job.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:55:06 pm »
Sure Kev, but it seems a shame to waste all that intricate sweatshop labour, plus the tent is always getting packed up damp and left and has developed mould already on the inner.  I'll ask around a few suppliers if nobody here can recommend anything.