Author Topic: iPhone apps  (Read 23889 times)

Re: iPhone apps
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2010, 09:38:52 am »
I haven't paid for an app yet.

ECB Cricket
Sky Sports Score Centre for football results
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #26 on: 16 January, 2010, 09:55:48 am »
As this thread's been resurrected, I thought I'd ask what GPS track-logging apps people recommend. A friend of mine likes MotionX, but he has an older version of the iPhone which doesn't have the compass and maps built in, so I find half of MotionX (I'm using the free version - I haven't paid for the full upgrade so far) duplicates what I've already got.

As for apps, so far I've just got free ones: Facebook, Twitterific (I signed up for Twitter yesterday. The adverts on the app are already annoying me - is there a better Twitter app out there?), Amazon, NatWest, Google, Google Earth. Oh, and Net-a-Porter - I'd heard it was a very good example of what shopping apps should look like, so I was curious. They're right - it's beautifully designed, but there's no way I would ever spend £124 on a lacy thong.

What else do people recommend for a Surrey cycle-commuting iPhone owner? I'm tempted to get the Good Beer Guide app for the "Direct me to the nearest good pub" function, but I'm going to wait until I need it before installing the free seven-day trial.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

simonp

« Reply #27 on: 16 January, 2010, 09:59:19 am »
I used tweetdeck for Twitter. Free and a nice interface. It also does facebook so there's no need to switch apps for that.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #28 on: 16 January, 2010, 10:12:31 am »
My favourites are:Games flight control, doodlejump, fieldrunners. General aroundme, trainline, echofon, skype, whatsapp, units, TV catch up, LastFM, blurb, guitar toolkit and yesterday discovered tonepad.

I rate all those above highly. The included maps are pretty good and track your movement on the screen, around me is also useful when out on bike, in horizontal it uses an 'augemented' view which really impresses me (easily pleased maybe).

Good idea to resurrect this.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #29 on: 16 January, 2010, 10:33:13 am »
As this thread's been resurrected, I thought I'd ask what GPS track-logging apps people recommend. A friend of mine likes MotionX, but he has an older version of the iPhone which doesn't have the compass and maps built in, so I find half of MotionX (I'm using the free version - I haven't paid for the full upgrade so far) duplicates what I've already got.

I use iMapMyRide for logging tracks, and am pleased with it. Uploads the track to MapMyRide.com

« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2010, 11:07:58 am »
My favourite 3rd party apps:
Instapaper to read stuff offline.
tweetie for twitter
guardian
eurosport
0870 to automatically route to calls to 0870 numbers to non chargeable numbers
camera bag
le monde.fr
weightbot
trainline
boxcar to get notifications on twitter @replies
talking carl because it just silly and keep my girls entertained.

games: rolando2, flght control, orbital, paper toss, zen bound

I used to like tvcatchup but it keeps on dropping.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #31 on: 17 January, 2010, 12:10:58 am »
As for apps, so far I've just got free ones: Facebook, Twitterific (I signed up for Twitter yesterday. The adverts on the app are already annoying me - is there a better Twitter app out there?)

I like Twitterrific for twitter, but found the ads annoying, so went for the paid app, I think it was £2 something.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 17 January, 2010, 08:29:24 am »
You can now get the 10,000 word Roger's Profanisaurus as an iPhone app, which would be useful for forum use as well as to make you giggle uncontrollably on long train journeys.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 18 January, 2010, 01:03:06 am »
Charlie Brooker on augmented reality. I quite like his rather gentle fun-poking style.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #34 on: 18 January, 2010, 07:01:26 am »
Charlie Brooker on augmented reality. I quite like his rather gentle fun-poking style.

Some people will say there's something sinister and wrong about all of this. They'll claim it's better to look at actual people and breathe actual air. But then they've never lived in Reading
;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #35 on: 18 January, 2010, 12:04:27 pm »
Being able to live in Roger Rabbit's world sounds like a tempting reason to get an iPhone. Nothing to do with a weird Jessica Rabbit fantasy, of course. That would be sick and perverted.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #36 on: 18 January, 2010, 03:13:23 pm »
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:31:13 am »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 19 January, 2010, 10:24:05 am »
My wife has a game called Bee Cells on her iPhone that's horribly addictive. My high score is about 570 if anyone fancies a challenge.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #39 on: 19 January, 2010, 03:11:22 pm »
Another couple to add.

Paper Toss is a highly addictive game.

Another couple of photo apps. Hipstamatic turns your phone into a low-fi toy camera. Some really great filters/effects. I'm liking it very much. Format 126 is similar to the Camerabag app I mentioned previously, with the added benefit that it's free.

« Reply #40 on: 19 January, 2010, 04:28:30 pm »
iPeng - Control your squeezbox from your iPhone.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 19 January, 2010, 07:08:33 pm »
Anyone got a recommendation for an ICE (in case of Emergency) app - there are quite a few and none seem to have votes/reviews.

I've started using Occasions to give me push notifications of anniversaries and birthdays. It tells me my birthday is coming up soon.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #42 on: 20 January, 2010, 03:49:51 am »
My wife has a game called Bee Cells on her iPhone that's horribly addictive. My high score is about 570 if anyone fancies a challenge.

d.

I couldn't sleep, read this and thought I'd download it. Now I'm all hyped up with fruit and flowers whirling about in my brain!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #43 on: 21 January, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »
US filmmaker Dan Woolley was shooting a documentary about the impact of poverty in Haiti when the earthquake struck. He could have died, but he ultimately survived with the help of an iPhone first aid app that taught him to treat his wounds.

After being crushed by a pile of rubble, Woolley used his digital SLR to illuminate his surroundings and snap photos of the wreckage in search of a safe place to dwell. He took refuge in an elevator shaft, where he followed instructions from an iPhone first aid app to fashion a bandage and tourniquet for his leg and to stop the bleeding from his head wound, according to an MSNBC story.

The app, named Pocket First Aid and CPR, even warned Woolley not to fall asleep if he felt he was going into shock, so he set his iPhone's alarm clock to go off every 20 minutes. 65 hours later, a French rescue team saved him.

Man buried in Haiti rubble uses iPhone to survive
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #44 on: 21 January, 2010, 02:08:42 pm »
US filmmaker Dan Woolley was shooting a documentary about the impact of poverty in Haiti when the earthquake struck. He could have died, but he ultimately survived with the help of an iPhone first aid app that taught him to treat his wounds.

After being crushed by a pile of rubble, Woolley used his digital SLR to illuminate his surroundings and snap photos of the wreckage in search of a safe place to dwell. He took refuge in an elevator shaft, where he followed instructions from an iPhone first aid app to fashion a bandage and tourniquet for his leg and to stop the bleeding from his head wound, according to an MSNBC story.

The app, named Pocket First Aid and CPR, even warned Woolley not to fall asleep if he felt he was going into shock, so he set his iPhone's alarm clock to go off every 20 minutes. 65 hours later, a French rescue team saved him.

Man buried in Haiti rubble uses iPhone to survive

I'm amazed his iPhone battery lasted that long.

a great mind thinks alike

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #45 on: 21 January, 2010, 02:19:12 pm »
No 3G drain.  ;)

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 21 January, 2010, 02:51:57 pm »
Airplane mode; switch off when not in use.  Easy.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #47 on: 21 January, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »

What and the alarm still works?
a great mind thinks alike

simonp

« Reply #48 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:04:33 pm »

Ah yes, good point - but airplane mode still saves a lot of power particularly in the case of little or no network coverage.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #49 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:14:56 pm »

Yes, Airplane mode, it just shuts down wireless stuff