Author Topic: Has anyone had a play with Decathlon's new "outdoor phone" wot does GPS?  (Read 5815 times)

Tried to use Osmand to navigate home last night. First off the screen is pretty distracting. The interface could do with trimming down a bit. The direction of travel was all over the place as well. At times the display showed what I was expecting, direction of travel towards the top of the screen, map rotates to follow, other times it was going sideways and even at one stage towards the bottom of the screen.
I'm sure there's a tweak somewhere in the software to fix this. Didn't have this problem using the tablet in France.

I also found that if you want to run from your own GPX file, you need to add a folder called osmand/tracks and then put the GPX files into it. This seems to sort of work.

It also gets lost pretty easily. I'll be treating it with caution for the time being.

OOI were you doing full navigation of the track with directional arrows top left (after pressing blue arrowhead)?  Also have you played with settings such as auto centre times, and auto zoom?  I had zoom set to mid.  I started getting 'OsmAnd has stopped', but wonder whether this was because I had managed to uncheck 'use English names', so it moaning about native libraries etc.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Currently in France on day 3 of a week long tour with three companions. Been using the phone for Skype, e-mail, facebook etc. Basically as a mini tablet. Running GPS and Osmand all day to supplement paper map reading and I'm finding 2 day's use takes the battery to about 45% charged. Pretty damned impressive.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Anyone tried charging it off a dynamo?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mcshroom

• Mushroom
For the low internal memory issue - I had this with my Galaxy Ace. I got round it using Link2SD which made an extra partition on the SD card and then managed linking that to the internal memory. Involved cracking the phone (Superuser) to do it though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Trull

• The settee will kill you
    • Aberdeen Astronomical Society
And just for the fun of it I've invested in a Basic membership of RidewithGPS, so as an experiment I started the GPS logging at half seven this morning, its currently at 54% battery capacity (4pm-ish) and you can watch the progress on http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2676599

I've left it on my office window and will let it run with  3G/GPS/wifi on until it stops.

This seems like a reasonable approximation for actual use as it will be chilly there and I'm showing intermittent 3G.

I'll post up when its dead.

Trull

Its now 7.50pm and the stats are:

31% battery

Ride with GPS 69%
Mobile standby 10%
WiFi 8%
Phone idle 8%
Screen 1%
Google Play Services 1%
Android OS 1%

So with 12.5 hours on the clock its got approx another 5 hours to being exhausted.

I will ask for assistance to see if changing anything on RidewithGPS would help in extending the battery life, as this device looks to be OK for a 200k randonee, but not up to much more, which is a pity!

WiFi 8%

Forgive my ignorance - but if you are using this as a gps, why are you running WiFi? There's not a lot of WiFi you can hook up to in the middle of nowhere.

Trull

Yep that's a fair point, I don't think it was on whilst I was riding, I think it was in as I had not reset the phone before riding.I hope the results are interesting anyway.

Re: Has anyone had a play with Decathlon's new "outdoor phone" wot does GPS?
« Reply #34 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:12:54 am »
An update on the Decathlon phone:
There was a lot to like about it. I liked the screen size, brightness and resolution. It worked really well as an outdoor phone.
I liked the battery life, it genuinely lasts days and days without needing to be charged.
The supplied charger is really good, multiple faceplates that you swap depending on the country you are visiting.

Things that weren't so good:
The camera is just awful. Oversaturated, poor resolution, poorly focussed images. Adding in an alternative camera software package from the Play Store didn't cure things.
The amount of on-board memory is just woeful. I ran out of onboard memory pretty rapidly with just a handful of aps.
It's a very large and heavy phone, it drags on your clothes and makes it hard to sit down if you have it in your pocket.
Then the flash for the camera stopped working and more seriously, the speaker for the phone failed, so I had to use it on speakerphone.
The video card also freaked out from time to time, scrambling the display.
It doesn't seem to have enough grunt to run BBC iplayer - not exactly a deal breaker, but  a shame.

I took it back to Decathlon and they refunded the money without hesitation.
If they updated it to fix these faults, I would look at it again.