Author Topic: Unbearably hot  (Read 7110 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Unbearably hot
« Reply #25 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:39:23 pm »

Edit 2: I spoke to my Shropshire brother today and he confirmed that March 2008 was the wettest he has recorded, going back over 20 years. He records every day the max, min, rainfall and barometric pressure.

I'm truly surprised at that.  I think I only wore my waterproofs once in March for my daily commute.  Of course that could just mean more rain fell at night time than usual......

I should clarify that it was the wettest March, and not the wettest month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

alchemy

« Reply #26 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:43:44 pm »
It's not hot until it's over 35.

That's degrees C  ::-) ::-)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27 on: 27 April, 2008, 03:55:52 pm »
March was indeed exceptionally wet here in the East Anglian desert, and April has been both wet and cold. Yesterday was a real tonic; dry, sunny and tolerably warm. Today, sadly, is pretty much back to normal, bar the temperature.

border-rider

« Reply #28 on: 27 April, 2008, 03:59:05 pm »
it's been dry here for the last month or three; I know this because we had a bit of roof missing for most of February and then were DIYing/gardening like mad afterwards.  What rain there has been has tended to be at weekends, though.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #29 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:01:29 pm »
I did 26 miles in shorts and T-shirt.  ;D

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #30 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »
I was lounging around in a claimed air temperature of 120oC last week.

Mind you, that was in the sauna.  ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #31 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:54:55 pm »
Blimey at 20 degrees celcius I would feel cold.

Currently the day temperatures in Bangkok  are around 40 degrees which is a little warm and rather humid. Fortunately daily rain has cooled it down a bit :P
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

gonzo

« Reply #32 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:55:07 pm »
I got very excited a little earlier when it looked like raining as then I wouldn't feel so bad sitting inside. But no. It was just the shadow of a cloud taunting me. B*****d cloud*.

Why can't they make us write dissertations in the darkest depths of winter?

*Sorry, I've not really had human interaction for about two weeks now².

²apart from the delivery/sales/charity person who came to the door a while back. He started his speech, looked at me, realised that I was blankly staring back at him, thought for a second then just turned around and left. No idea what he wanted as we didn't get that far!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #33 on: 27 April, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »
After MTBing in Death Valley in 54oc I have re-evaluated my concept of what is hot, and what is not. Hot is when you ride for 3hours, consume a 5L camelback, and 2 1L bottles and don't pee at all. Then when you get back, you drink another 2L of water and when you finally pee, its pretty much crystaline*.

Anything else is just degrees of warm  :P

*EDIT: If you can imagine what it would feel like to pee out a smooth rope, thats what it felt like!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #34 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:32:20 pm »
It's only April.  How do you get through July?!

I don't get through July >:(  (well, the fact I'm here still proves I have survived July in the past, but only just).

Last year the bike got put away in June time and didn't really come out again until September.  I just found it too hot to ride or be outdoors.  (This was also one of my major reasons for not entering PBP, I thought the weather would be against me; had I known it was going to be as lovely and wet as it was then I may have had more enthusiasm to enter).

Sunday I only needed four cooling showers and three changes of clothes.  It gets really painful when you try to move and the sweat sodden clothing sticks to your greasy legs and pulls all the skin taut.

Fortunately, by Monday, I was back in the lovely air-conditioned office (although I am still uncomfortably warm and moist - I suspect the outside humidity must be quite high).

« Reply #35 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:35:06 pm »
"uncomfortably warm and moist"

There's a good strapline for your website.  ;)

« Reply #36 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:37:42 pm »
I did 26 miles in shorts and T-shirt.  ;D
blimey they must have been big shorts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #37 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:40:14 pm »
Chucking it down this morning....roll on 40+ degree days!

gonzo

« Reply #38 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:24:56 pm »
nutty; look up ice jackets.

« Reply #39 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:37:03 pm »

« Reply #40 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:41:58 pm »
Having spent a year in the mid-west US I don't mind the UK weather.

Over 100oF in summer (Heat Index up to 115oF if you included humidity) and way below freezing (0oF = -18oC) in the winter (down to -40oC or F with wind-chill). Spring and fall autumn are nice.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 29 April, 2008, 05:48:46 pm »
Saturday was a lovely hot day - it must have been because of our music festival.

Hell, it was so hot that Mr P had more than two pints when he visited it!
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #43 on: 29 April, 2008, 05:56:24 pm »
Saturday was a lovely hot day - it must have been because of our music festival.

Hell, it was so hot that Mr P had more than two pints when he visited it!

It's all comparitive, J. I couldn't find anywhere in SE England which recorded a temperature higher than 21°C, apart from my garden, which makes me think my thermometer's wrong, although the garden is a bit of a suntrap. The thermometer is in the shade, though.

I think it was April 8th 2004 that the temperature reached 80°F (26.5°C) which was, as far as I am aware, the hottest April day ever recorded in England.

The day I passed my driving test, 7th May 1976, was the first hot day of that glorious summer, and again the temperature just touched 80°F.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #44 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:22:08 pm »

Well it finally got  hot here too, so my 6 month old beard are all most gone.
All there's left are a soul patch and a Pancho Villa moustache.

G