Author Topic: Unbearably hot  (Read 7138 times)

Unbearably hot
« on: 26 April, 2008, 03:16:44 pm »
So, here I am lying on the sofa with all windows open and a breeze blowing over me.  Mrs Nutty is in the garden but I had to come in, the summer heatwave is here >:(

Just minor effort leaves me breathless and exhausted.  It's only four hours since I had a shower but already I am slimey, stink, and want another one; these clothes need to go in the wash, but I really can't start washing three changes of clothes per day just to stay clean >:(

I'd forgotten how unbearable summer is.   Roll on Autumn.

annie

Re: Unbearably hot
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2008, 03:35:53 pm »
I am tempted to agree with you.  I have been pottering in the garden but found it far too hot so had to come inside, just as well really as a can of guiness fell out of the fridge, the tiny hole that appeared in the side of the can was just enough to cause a mess on the ceiling, walls, cupboards, floor and me.  I now smell like a pub.

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2008, 03:38:44 pm »
I went into town in my duffle coat this morning. It's not hot at all! I did spend several years in Botswana and Australia though, so that might affect what I consider hot and not!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2008, 03:39:21 pm »
Pleasantly warm here, if a bit hazy.  Certainly not too hot.

« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2008, 03:47:14 pm »
Stop yer bitchin'

annie

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2008, 04:31:20 pm »
I put my shorts on ;D  I am wearing a sun hat and sitting in the shade. 8)

Maladict

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2008, 04:37:01 pm »
It's only April.  How do you get through July?!

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2008, 04:54:19 pm »
Hot? This? It's freeeeezing here.

I just came back from Southeast Asia. It is unbearable at the moment. I can do dry heat no problem, but in southern Laos it was 36 degrees at night, and humid. Daytime temps are 40+. Very very unpleasant.

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2008, 05:04:50 pm »
I've been to a number of places, including Laos, but the most uncomfortable I have ever been was the Moroccan Sahara in July/August.  I lay on my bed at midnight watching beads of sweat pop out of the pores on my chest. 

Needless to say there was no aircon in that hotel.  :'(

Dave

« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2008, 05:04:57 pm »
OK. I need my head checking.

I read Nutty's post and got angry. As in, if he'd been there in person I'd have been raging at him angry.

This is, I think, only the second half-way decent weekend day I've had this year. And you're already complaining about how hot it is? FFS ::-)

I desperately need more warm, sunny days so I can get out of the flat and on my bike without the crappy weather making more depressed than I already was.

Unbelievable.

steveB

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2008, 05:08:01 pm »
Lovely and warm here too and a fair breeze to go with it.

An early ride this morning, not too far. Just messing about in the garden and doing a bit over the allotment is all I've been doing today.

Off to Cyprus tomorrow for a weeks holiday - should be good.  Only hope the prickly heat/sun allergy (the only thing I have in common with Bradley Wiggins) can be kept at bay, so I'll just have to sit in the shade and drink cold beer. :thumbsup:

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2008, 05:15:28 pm »
I'm sorry but I don't c. 20 degrees C a heatwave; not in anyone's book.  There's even a breeze FFS!

This is a normal late spring day and roll on many more of them.

Personally I'm looking forward to spending time in Alberta this summer with temps in the high 20s to 30s and 30% humidity - bliss.
Question everything, accept nothing.

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2008, 05:30:12 pm »
Horses for courses I think ... O:-)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »
My theory that belongs to me is as follows: Nutty's internal thermostat is still on the winter setting. As soon as it gets twiddled to "summer" today's temperatures will feel like a cool summer day. A hot summer day will feel hot. This adjustment may take some time.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:06:49 pm »
Maybe he needs to moult?

Lovely here.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:07:32 pm »
OK. I need my head checking.

I read Nutty's post and got angry. As in, if he'd been there in person I'd have been raging at him angry.

This is, I think, only the second half-way decent weekend day I've had this year. And you're already complaining about how hot it is? FFS ::-)

I desperately need more warm, sunny days so I can get out of the flat and on my bike without the crappy weather making more depressed than I already was.

Unbelievable.

He he.  With that rant, you're starting to sound like Nutty.  Next, you'll be making comments about trains & the French.  ;)

Seriously though, the weather hasn't been that bad this year.  Just your usual average English sort of weather.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:23:35 pm »
I went out for a ride 47.3 miles and I got a suntan 8)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:25:13 pm »
It's nice here, but it ain't nowhere near hot enough for me yet. Sod the 20s, roll on the 30s!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Dave

« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:27:43 pm »
He he.  With that rant, you're starting to sound like Nutty.  Next, you'll be making comments about trains & the French.  ;)

Seriously though, the weather hasn't been that bad this year.  Just your usual average English sort of weather.

:)

Why? Does he like trains and and the French too?  ;)

« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:28:32 pm »
bloody lovely here.  Pint in the pub garden this afternoon  :D :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:02:35 pm »
We had to wait a long time for it, but today was beautiful. My thermometer recorded a maximum of 22°C, which I suspect is a little too high. I don't reckon it was that warm.

I do think we have had more than our normal ration of horrible cold wet windy days in the past two months and it seems to me that this winter had provided far more frosts than usual, but to describe today as "unbearably hot" is, I think, an attempt to provoke. ;D

Last April was much warmer than this, that I do know. Mrs. Wow and I returned from Scotland a year ago today, suntanned and happy. We cycled the first 600 miles with almost exclusively sunny days (there were just two cloudy mornings I think) and on Sunday 15th April we crossed Bowland and the tar was melting on the road. The day we reached John O'Groats was also beautifully warm and sunny as was the day we cycled north along the Mull of Kintyre. We did have a couple of wet days, but it was never cold.

Edit: looking at Metoffice I think confirms my suspicion that my thermometer is giving an artificially high maximum. Nowhere I looked at in SE England recorded a temperature as high as mine, 20.8°C being the highest I found. Sorry Nutty, if you think a temperature in the high 60s fahrenheit is "Unbearably hot" I suggest you apply for a job monitoring the Antarctic ice shelves for the duration of May, June, July and August. :thumbsup:

Edit 2: I spoke to my Shropshire brother today and he confirmed that March 2008 was the wettest he has recorded, going back over 20 years. He records every day the max, min, rainfall and barometric pressure.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »
Nutty, you are a nutter! It is only just about getting fine for bike riding/racing... and to enjoy the outdoor. It is till a bit too windy here for me.  ;)

Just not to miss anything, and as a testament to my becoming more and more British, I even BBQ'ed the meat tonight. It was lovely with a salad.  :thumbsup:

Baby G and I also went cycling and singing along this afternoon. That was even nicer!

PS Being accustomed to the humid heat of Latin America and the dry heat of Northern Africa where I served, there is absolutely little that can "disturb" me over here.  8)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

cornelius

• Three wheels on my wagon...
« Reply #22 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:59:46 pm »
The cornelii took the picnic tandem for a picnic by the lake in the sunshine and what could be nicer? There was even enough wind so that we could fly our kite (not from the tandem I hasten to add - Mrs C has strong views on many things breaches of H&S policy) ::-)
Like Jehu, Son of Nimshi, who drove like a maniac...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #23 on: 26 April, 2008, 11:11:59 pm »

Edit 2: I spoke to my Shropshire brother today and he confirmed that March 2008 was the wettest he has recorded, going back over 20 years. He records every day the max, min, rainfall and barometric pressure.

I'm truly surprised at that.  I think I only wore my waterproofs once in March for my daily commute.  Of course that could just mean more rain fell at night time than usual......
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

gonzo

« Reply #24 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:28:38 pm »
It's far too hot, but that's only becasue I'm stuck inside working on my dissertation and want to out riding my new bike!