Author Topic: Carradice Barley and Selle SMP Compatibility  (Read 1761 times)

Carradice Barley and Selle SMP Compatibility
« on: 07 January, 2019, 02:42:39 pm »
I am in the throes of buying a saddle for my Audax bike. It is a Selle SMP Well (formerly Hell)

How does one go about marrying my Carradice Barley to this saddle? The Sportsman support fits fine, but how do I sort out the two loops that normally go through the back of a saddle? I know that Carradice do little, metal loops to hook onto modern saddle rails, but are these going to work with a Selle SMP which has an unusual, continuous rail? Traditional saddles, like Brooks already have this feature as you know.

Many thanks all.

Re: Carradice Barley and Selle SMP Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2019, 05:51:31 pm »
Easiest but most expensive would be swapping the steel loop from the support onto the Carradice QR Clamp ( https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/saddle-fixing-systems/bagman-quick-release-saddlebag-clamp ) and attaching that to the saddle rails.

Otherwise this might work? https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/saddle-fixing-systems/saddlebag-clamp

Given the SMP's weird rails, you might have to have it underneath the rails rather than right at the back, but there looks to be enough adjustability that it might go, especially with some judicious filing.

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2019, 06:35:15 pm »
Thank you @Jakob W

The first option will work. I didn’t think of that. Sadly the cheaper option won’t work on the Selle.

Thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:57:07 pm »
I just put the straps over the rails, works fine for both the bagman and if resting bag on a rack. The Carradice loops are a soft metal and have not worked for me, Velo Orange made better ones but over rails works. Some pictures of a SMP TRK and Barley here http://www.sydneycyclist.com/profiles/blogs/the-bogan-way

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2019, 07:15:02 am »
Thank you @LateStarter I will try that out before any purchase ensues. Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2019, 09:16:23 am »

that is a weird shape alright.  Strapping over the rails is nice and simple, if it works well enough.  The central loop of the rail looks like it could be convenient for lashing something to, and a cunningly shaped/positioned piece of wood might stabilise the position of a saddlebag support so that it doesn't sway or rock in use.

It also occurs to me that if those screws could be replaced by identically threaded longer ones, it looks as if you could make some metal plates that attached over the plastic clamp plates.  Might be OK for modest loads only though.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2019, 06:24:15 pm »
Thanks Brucey. The leather straps around the loops work a treat so it looks like I’m not going to have to spend my hard earned digging money.

Can you see how the elliptical logo plate thungimibob is attached to the two four-screw-plastic plates?

Annoyingly, this digs into another saddlebag I use and will eventually wear a hole. Can you imagine that the elliptical logo plate has any structural integrity? I would like to cut it off.

What do you think? Happy to lose my warranty rights.

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2019, 09:01:18 pm »
hacksaw job I reckon...?. :o

cheers

« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2019, 02:34:58 pm »
Thanks Brucey.

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2019, 08:58:04 pm »
I also removed the logo plate for similar reason as it interfered with bikepacking type saddle bags, 5 years ago, no adverse effects on the 47 X 200s since.  But I sometimes think I could have used it as a mount point for a rear light or light load like a rolled jacket, so have a think before hacking

« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2019, 07:13:53 am »
Very useful. Thanks LateStarter.