Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 152492 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #600 on: 15 December, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »
A lot of people change from trainers or similar to party shoes if they've walked or driven. I remember going to a party with some flatmates in 1995 or thereabouts, it was only 100m or so to the party, when we got there flatmate changed her impressive knee-length semi-outrageous "walking" boots for completely outrageous thigh high ones with heels made from guitar necks (or something like that)!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #601 on: 20 January, 2020, 06:36:36 pm »
To the girls school and back.... Lots

Drop off and home this morning

Back to pick up youngest and home

Home for about 20 minutes then back for the eldest who had a club. I'd have stayed and read outside if it wasn't so chuffing cold

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #602 on: 21 January, 2020, 07:44:13 am »
Physio, holiday shop, supermarket and home the long way. Started out close to zero, drenched with sweat by the end.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #603 on: 19 February, 2020, 08:41:26 pm »
Had to drop a colleges van for service today so took bike to work and got a little cycle back from the garage and then to collect it later. Bikes still at work so hopefully a little lunchtime ride tomorrow

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #604 on: 18 March, 2020, 11:42:18 am »
Up to Bream to pick up my prescription.  Not arrived so same again tomorrow or Thursday I guess.
Since I'm out anyway added a couple of reps of the Parkend, Bream & Whitecroft loop.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #605 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:11:54 am »
To the allotment this morning with a hoe strapped to my bike. Lovely and quiet.  Saw people forming a queue outside Aldi but looked calm and seen the csr park busier before all this crazyness. Should have twigged why it was so easy on way there as ride back was into the weekend wind

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #606 on: 17 April, 2020, 07:12:14 pm »
Took the trailer to Mr Sainsbury's emporium of toothy comestibles, on the basis that I could just bundle everything into it rather than faff about neatly packing things into panniers.  I then proceeded to buy too much stuff.

When I returned home and came to unhitch it, I discovered the absence of the hitch pin.  It's never so much as come undone before.

Thinking back, I realise that my bike fell over while I was attempting to lock it to a trolley corral (the space around the bike racks being occupied by the socially distanced queueueue), so I suppose it must have come undone then (either that or somebody undid it).  Glad the trailer didn't decide to go its own way on the bypass   :o

Replacement pin ordered from SJS, because I'm in no mood for riding around looking for it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #607 on: 17 April, 2020, 07:23:07 pm »
That's unfortunate. Still, I take it this was otherwise successful quaxing. Talking of ordering pins from SJS (but not connected with UA or trailers) I bent the drive pin in my Park chain tool at the weekend, stupidly trying to rejoin some bits of chain. Ordered a new one from SJS. Was quite glad to find it available and significantly less expensive than a new too. Thought I'd better order two, against future outbreaks of stupidity. Arrived today and... each packet has two pins anyway!  :facepalm: ::-)

« Reply #608 on: 20 April, 2020, 12:35:51 pm »
Dropped van off for a repair as classed as a key worker and need van to do job. A nice cycle of around 1km back avoiding the rather good shared use path as roads quiet and paths busy. One brown trouser ment when an artic which hsd been behind me appeared to be going for an overtake between the two traffic Islands. There isn't enough room for this but thankfully they were actually pulling into the industrial estate I was cycling past.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #609 on: 11 May, 2020, 12:10:08 pm »
Discovered that the greengrocer's has 800g tins of red beans, white beans and chickpeas for £1, ie pretty much half the per-bean cost of smaller tins. So I bought four. On top of the the potatoes, onions, bread etc that pannier got quite heavy (but, predictably, I felt it most when carrying it rather than riding home, even though that's up hill).

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #610 on: 11 May, 2020, 02:09:01 pm »
On Friday myself and Penelope the Pashley Pronto were dispatched to Morrisons for polenta, flowers and other lockdown staples.  Whilst queuing to get into the shop I noticed they had some nice looking plants so I telephoned The Current Mrs R to describe what was available and seek advice on what to buy.  TCMR furnished me with her views but then said "But you can't buy any plants cos we don't have any compost and you're on your bike."

I inwardly bristled and had Penelope heard she'd of been outraged as well  >:(  From memory we came home with the following (NB I only had one Ortlieb Back Roller pannier with me):

2 x 4 pints of milk
2 x pack of sausages
1 x pack ready made polenta (I should have purchased the unready made stuff  ::-) )
1 x bunch of flowers
1 x pack of grapes
6 x teaspoons
4 x plants (some multi plug trays)
1 x bag of compost
Potentially a few other small items I can't recall

Smug we were  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #611 on: 11 May, 2020, 02:45:40 pm »
Digging that saddle!  :thumbsup:

Forgot I did get a wee bit of shimmy at one point, but I think that was more down to the under-inflated front tyre than the heavy single pannier.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #612 on: 11 May, 2020, 03:10:58 pm »
Digging that saddle!  :thumbsup:

It's a Cath Kidston saddle cover.  I fancy if she's focused more on accessories for the style conscious Pashley about town she might not have gone bust  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #613 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:35:34 am »
Today's Utilitarian Adventure was wearing a mask in the Co-op. It felt odd and I was conscious that I couldn't get it to fit properly at the sides. Further adventure was riding home with a 9-pack (the only size and brand they had) of toilet paper on the rack – it seems to be a deficit item again – but no attempts were made to mug me!  :D

« Reply #614 on: 22 May, 2020, 02:50:59 pm »
A quick run over to Sheen to collect some repaired sunnies (any excuse to get outside).

What a glorious day, even if the headwind was a bit stiff on the way back.

As Richmond Park is closed to cyclists I was left with no option but to use the A3 from Robin Hood Gate up to the junction at the top of the hill which leads down to Priory Lane. I took the lane all the way both ways and not a single one of the drivers did anything untoward (and there were a lot of them).
Rust never sleeps

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #615 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:20:02 pm »
26km round trip to the top of the forest to drop off an item sold on Ebay.  I'd been procrastinating myself out of riding today but when the Buy It Now notice came in it tipped me off the fence in the right direction.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #616 on: 26 May, 2020, 03:56:04 pm »
A brief 13 miles up to Battersea and back to deliver a home made loaf as a parting gift to a Lithuanian colleague who is heading back to Lithuania. She came here as an 18 year old and has been here for ten years. She was always first in the queue on a Monday morning for when I pitched up with a fresh loaf.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #617 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:14:27 pm »
A short ride on my moustache bar-ed Bitsa to water the allotment.
It was a splendid ride there (mostly dowhill) and a bit sweaty coming back.
Not much traffic about adding to the joy.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #618 on: 04 June, 2020, 04:50:59 pm »
Just had a short  ride in the teeth of a gale to the local tip with a load of tree clippings. When I 'phoned yesterday to ask if it was ok to come by bike, they were a bit bolshy, but today, all very friendly and helpful. They seemed amazed to see someone on a bike with a car load of rubbish on a trailer!   Oh, the excitement we find in small things after two months of lockdown!
Advena ego sum in Terra

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #619 on: 04 June, 2020, 05:55:26 pm »
Just had a short  ride in the teeth of a gale to the local tip with a load of tree clippings. When I 'phoned yesterday to ask if it was ok to come by bike, they were a bit bolshy, but today, all very friendly and helpful. They seemed amazed to see someone on a bike with a car load of rubbish on a trailer!   Oh, the excitement we find in small things after two months of lockdown!

Always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Well done for a trip to the local tip being a 'short ride'.  Mine would be audax duration, if not distance.

rr

« Reply #620 on: 05 June, 2020, 07:31:58 am »
On Friday myself and Penelope the Pashley Pronto were dispatched to Morrisons for polenta, flowers and other lockdown staples.  Whilst queuing to get into the shop I noticed they had some nice looking plants so I telephoned The Current Mrs R to describe what was available and seek advice on what to buy.  TCMR furnished me with her views but then said "But you can't buy any plants cos we don't have any compost and you're on your bike."

I inwardly bristled and had Penelope heard she'd of been outraged as well  >:(  From memory we came home with the following (NB I only had one Ortlieb Back Roller pannier with me):

2 x 4 pints of milk
2 x pack of sausages
1 x pack ready made polenta (I should have purchased the unready made stuff  ::-) )
1 x bunch of flowers
1 x pack of grapes
6 x teaspoons
4 x plants (some multi plug trays)
1 x bag of compost
Potentially a few other small items I can't recall

Smug we were  ;D
I'll raise you:
12.6kg bird seed
12.6kg bird peanuts
6kg assorted flour

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #621 on: 05 June, 2020, 09:21:38 am »
Without a photo your claim is inadmissible  ;D

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #622 on: 05 June, 2020, 07:47:26 pm »

Always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Well done for a trip to the local tip being a 'short ride'.  Mine would be audax duration, if not distance.

I'm, lucky - small town.  Only a  mile or so away.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #623 on: 13 June, 2020, 04:55:19 pm »
The wife lost her hat out on a walk this morning. She thinks she sat on it while sorting her shoes out. Went out for around 10km up and down the route but it's either blown into a hedge or long grass or been picked up

« Reply #624 on: 07 July, 2020, 04:40:54 pm »

Lifford lane are now booking time slots.  Might even be worth it.

Today I did the charity shop run.  A boot-full of bags o' stuff, too much to carry so I put them in the Christiana Trike.  Turns out it's a much better ride when loaded down.  Though only a very short hop it involved a double right off the Cotteridge double roundabout expression of road design hubris.  No issues from the populace in general, it appears that oiks shouting stuff sit on it until they can shout at my wife instead.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace