Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520761 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5775 on: 07 February, 2024, 06:43:44 pm »
Yep -its not to bad, tea hut / roadside cafe mid-way stop, breaky at the airport cafe last time I think....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5776 on: 07 February, 2024, 07:43:38 pm »
Yep -its not to bad, tea hut / roadside cafe mid-way stop, breaky at the airport cafe last time I think....

Thank you … I’ll have a think. Would obviously be extending it up to a 200km!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5777 on: 08 February, 2024, 07:50:39 am »
Has anybody ridden one of the Friday Nights to the Coast rides? Just looking at the 2024 calendar and quite fancy the ride down to Shoreham. I think Jibbers has, anybody else also?

https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/ride-calendar-2024

I’ve not done the Shoreham ride but I’ve done a few of the others. One thing to be aware of is that everyone goes at their own pace so there are regular stops for everybody to regroup. So you can spend quite a lot of time standing around at random junctions in the middle of nowhere depending on how slow the slowest riders are or how many mechanicals there are. But they are very enjoyable, social rides. I’m hopefully going to do the Maldon and Cambridge- Kings Lynn rides this year.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5778 on: 08 February, 2024, 09:18:46 am »

Thank you … I’ll have a think. Would obviously be extending it up to a 200km!

I'd echo what Gavin has said, it's not ideal to try and use it as a DIY, the pace is the slowest rider with regrouping and any mechanicals dealt with by the "all-uppers" and tech's which can add to that..

I think on this ride I managed to fall off and trash my chain and RD plus break a couple of ribs...

https://www.strava.com/activities/582791493
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5779 on: 09 February, 2024, 01:32:27 pm »
Hi folks

Making a rare appearance just to post the trailer for the Saint Piran Cycling Team documentary I've been involved in. Director Aman Cheung (a student at the National Film & Television School) followed Britain's most successful domestic team as they prepared for their biggest race of the season: the 2023 Tour of Britain. He contacted me after I appeared on a podcast covering the race to provide an 'expert' voice for his documentary.

It isn't being widely released, but we are having a private showing at an independent cinema in Hammersmith on the 19th of February.

Here's the trailer: https://vimeo.com/895677335/a5fd932667

« Reply #5780 on: 14 February, 2024, 09:56:32 am »
Thanks, and I will take a look.

« Reply #5781 on: 14 February, 2024, 09:59:50 am »
Hello all,

Hannah back in the studio at the weekend, so here's my Valentines Day message to you all (cycling definitely does this to me sometimes!)

Enjoy. xxx

« Reply #5782 on: 26 February, 2024, 08:18:21 pm »
Hello all,

Looking for a 200 on Wednesday (DIY, probably), to keep my RRtY up. Weather is looking like SSW winds all day, strengthening as the day goes on. Idea would be to get out in the morning as early as I can and head SSW-erly. looking for a tailwind home. Any ideas. O learned ones?

« Reply #5783 on: 26 February, 2024, 09:04:32 pm »
Hello all,

Looking for a 200 on Wednesday (DIY, probably), to keep my RRtY up. Weather is looking like SSW winds all day, strengthening as the day goes on. Idea would be to get out in the morning as early as I can and head SSW-erly. looking for a tailwind home. Any ideas. O learned ones?

SSW would take you through London. I’d suggest an alternative would be to do a loop like I did with bernster on Saturday, looping around into Hertfordshire so the final stretch is wind assisted, but without heading too far into the chilterns, or London.

« Reply #5784 on: 26 February, 2024, 09:57:28 pm »
Sounds sensible and that's what I'll do! Thanks.

« Reply #5785 on: 26 February, 2024, 10:16:19 pm »
If you don’t mind train returns, you could do a one way 200, tailwind all day, then train return.  I did one of those in the pandemic.  It was basically up to near St Neots then turn right to Kings Lynn. Flying along for a quick 200.

« Reply #5786 on: 26 February, 2024, 10:48:27 pm »
Hmm, maybe look into that as well, Phil - thank you for that!

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5787 on: 27 February, 2024, 07:59:17 am »
I've used train assist back from Peterborough and Kings Lynn in the past, you don't gain any time as you still have to get yourself back home, but the riding is definitely easier if there's a southerly/SSW. Let me know if you want a copy of my route from the weekend just gone :thumbsup:

« Reply #5788 on: 29 February, 2024, 10:53:38 pm »
Does anyone know about cycling from Stansted Airport station? I know you can't go on the Express trains with a bike, but there are others (I think). It's the nearest station to Great Dunmow for the Horsepower event, and the M11 junction is a mess at the moment if I use BS. Otherwise Elsenham might be OK, but I don't think there are so many trains.

Is there any reason not to get a train there and just head off into the wilds of Essex? Will they make me fly to Australia or something instead?

« Reply #5789 on: 01 March, 2024, 01:02:37 am »
I've used train assist back from Peterborough and Kings Lynn in the past, you don't gain any time as you still have to get yourself back home, but the riding is definitely easier if there's a southerly/SSW. Let me know if you want a copy of my route from the weekend just gone :thumbsup:
Thanks for all your off forum help for a great ride and a great route!

« Reply #5790 on: 01 March, 2024, 05:05:13 am »
Does anyone know about cycling from Stansted Airport station? I know you can't go on the Express trains with a bike, but there are others (I think). It's the nearest station to Great Dunmow for the Horsepower event, and the M11 junction is a mess at the moment if I use BS. Otherwise Elsenham might be OK, but I don't think there are so many trains.

Is there any reason not to get a train there and just head off into the wilds of Essex? Will they make me fly to Australia or something instead?

If you decided on Bishop’s Stortford, as you head out on the Dunmow Road just pop onto the footpath after the golf club and go through the services. That brings you out on the M11 roundabout, and the bit you use when heading east isn’t impacted by the roadworks. For the return, you can also use the services and exit on the footpath on the Dunmow Road, or I usually just stick to the road - it’s a single lane down to the Dunmow Road exit, but the traffic light phasing means I can get there before the next batch of cars come along. If there was a car behind, I would take a central position on the lane and indicate to turn early.

You can get to Stansted Airpoort with the bike. The first bit on the road from there would be a dual carriageway where drivers are not going to be expecting cyclists, but you’d soon be off that. The return might be a bit more tricky as bikes technically aren’t allowed on the Stansted Express, so you might be blocked … I’ve never tried it, so don’t know if that happens in practice.

Other options would be Elsenham or Sawbridgeworth, but as you say, fewer trains go there so you’d need to be more mindful of train times.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5791 on: 01 March, 2024, 08:49:43 am »

You can exit the airport station through to the bus station on the next level and bear right along the car park RH side then cut across to the opposite left corner of the car park. You'll get through on the grass to the roundabout (well worn track by other cyclists) and take the first exit from there which immediately brings you to the mini rbt, where you go right to Takeley Four Ashes cross roads on the old A120, left from there to Dunmow.

I gather the Stratford trains (one/hour?) accept bikes, also the Brum via Cambridge trains - may need a reservation though?

« Reply #5792 on: 13 March, 2024, 12:58:55 pm »
Random question, but do ACME members live as far up as Spalding? Might be looking for a small favour...

« Reply #5793 on: 14 March, 2024, 05:05:34 pm »
If you are near Bishop's Stortford on Saturday around 10am, please do come along and support a mass cycle and walk to put some pressure on the councils to build an active travel route that has stalled for the past 6 years.

https://www.bishopsstortfordindependent.co.uk/news/cycle-stortford-to-stage-mass-walk-and-ride-to-pressure-coun-9355752/

« Reply #5794 on: 15 March, 2024, 01:39:36 pm »
If you are near Bishop's Stortford on Saturday around 10am, please do come along and support a mass cycle and walk to put some pressure on the councils to build an active travel route that has stalled for the past 6 years.

https://www.bishopsstortfordindependent.co.uk/news/cycle-stortford-to-stage-mass-walk-and-ride-to-pressure-coun-9355752/
I may well be doing Park Run in Stortford tomorrow morning and could stick around after for this  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5795 on: 15 March, 2024, 03:10:39 pm »

I may well be doing Park Run in Stortford tomorrow morning and could stick around after for this  :thumbsup:

Excellent. I'm aiming to get there around 9:45 on the orange cargo bike

« Reply #5796 on: 16 March, 2024, 08:10:46 pm »
As I said, the 200 train assist went really well, will defo be taking advantage of this type of ride again and thanks to you guys for the idea!

I popped out with the mythical brother today and we visited the SH and met Joss for a quick chat, though he was busy working away at keepoing everyone happy and fed (and watered). I've been wanting to see Tomsk's artwork since I heard about it going up and oh, my - what a treat. Absolutely beautiful works of art that have to be seen to be believed, the level of detail is just jaw-dropping.

It was a lovely day out, weather perfect (though colder than I thought it would be), great to see Joss for a quick catch-up and topped off by Tomk's wonderful works of art. A day to remember for sure.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5797 on: 10 April, 2024, 05:13:06 pm »
If anyone has missed the cut-off for the Tourdax series this weekend, I can offer entries 'on the line' - just let me know and I'll bring enough spare brevets and entry forms to cope!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5798 on: 12 April, 2024, 01:29:08 pm »
Have fun all tourdaxers! Would have loved to join you as it was great fun last year but these dates just didn't work (visiting family etc). Looks like you have got good weather at least for today and tomorrow