Author Topic: Le Grand Depart from Leeds  (Read 13398 times)

Re: Le Grand Depart from Leeds
« Reply #25 on: 25 June, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »
Starting to get VERY excited about this :)

Will be staying with some other cyclists in Skipton for the weekend, stage 1 comes past the front door of the cottage and it's great for Stage 2 as well.

Think a group of us from my cycling club will be riding into London somewhere for Stage 3, but I'm leaving someone else to sort it out ;)

Will be my first Le Tour experience :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #26 on: 25 June, 2014, 03:17:19 pm »
And take a whippet with bailer twine as a leash as well.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #27 on: 25 June, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »
I do hope some of the French film crews can interview the 'local colour' of dour Yokshire folk: "Ee, nah then. A'oop!" If only Fred Truman was still around. We still have forthright "Ones-and-twos" Boycott I suppose.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #28 on: 25 June, 2014, 03:36:51 pm »
David , you really must study regional habits  in greater depth. Baler twine  has multiple uses mainly to secure ones donkey jacket against incoming draughts or to restrain trousers in danger of vertical collapse. It's main use in Yorkshire (after being released from hay or straw bales)  is for securing field  gates in the closed position.
Whippets are held with pieces of slightly stronger cordage, usually the type of rope that BT use for pulling cables through ducts. This can often be found at the side of the road or in some fella's yard after the cabling has been disposed of for scrap recycling.
Real men use chain between hand and dog collar. (we used to anyway)

Seriously, I drove over to Skipton yesterday and there are LOTS of TDF related flags, bunting and yellow bicycles all along the route.
Yorkshire really has got into the Tour in a big way and I for one am proud and pleased about that.
 Even villages not on the route have put up yellow ribbons and bikes.

Downside is that all the road closure signs are in place as well and that is going to put many people off. Cars parked anywhere near the route will be towed away.

« Reply #29 on: 25 June, 2014, 03:46:51 pm »
Starting to get VERY excited about this :)

Will be staying with some other cyclists in Skipton for the weekend, stage 1 comes past the front door of the cottage and it's great for Stage 2 as well.

Think a group of us from my cycling club will be riding into London somewhere for Stage 3, but I'm leaving someone else to sort it out ;)

Will be my first Le Tour experience :)

Skipton looks like being the yacf posse posing place ;)

I'll be there on Saturday saying hi to wooly, peli and others, staying around Oxenhope, for the Cote D'Oxenhope on Sunday.

« Reply #30 on: 25 June, 2014, 04:08:43 pm »
The hatlers will be in Heptonstall. Still trying to work out the exact plan for the two days.

Really really looking forward to it.
Rust never sleeps

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #31 on: 25 June, 2014, 04:17:01 pm »
As previously mentioned I am going to Ripon Day 1, York Day 2 (with family on day 2).

Others who have expressed an interest in a gentle pootle out to Ripon on Day one are falling by the wayside, so I may be on my Jack Jones.  If so and you are watching it on the TV, watch out for a lone YACF shirt as they whizz through Ripon...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #32 on: 25 June, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »
I'll be camping with eldest Miss Psychler and possibly youngest Miss Psychler and boyfriend [Mrs Psychler has an aversion to camping and outdoor life] at Ripon Rugby club on Friday and Saturday nights. 

We'll watch Saturday's stage at Ripon, drive to intercept stage 2 somewhere on our way home on Sunday [don't know where yet] and on Monday I shall pootle up to Willingale to watch stage 3 fly by!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #33 on: 25 June, 2014, 05:27:32 pm »
I'll be staying near Hebden Bridge

tiermat

« Reply #34 on: 25 June, 2014, 06:39:39 pm »
I'll be camping with eldest Miss Psychler and possibly youngest Miss Psychler and boyfriend [Mrs Psychler has an aversion to camping and outdoor life] at Ripon Rugby club on Friday and Saturday nights. 

We'll watch Saturday's stage at Ripon, drive to intercept stage 2 somewhere on our way home on Sunday [don't know where yet] and on Monday I shall pootle up to Willingale to watch stage 3 fly by!

Wave/come over and say hello if you happen to see a long haired bloke, green Inbred 29er with drops and a YACF shirt. As previously mentioned, I will probably be in the market place shortly after they fly through town (having spent the rest of the time sat out by the river)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #35 on: 25 June, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »
Sorry , but the Riponians OTP will be heading upcountry, possibly Grinton Bank or even Buttertubs.
I just think that the peloton will be travelling so fast as they can smell the finish line by then.
 If you watch the race on the by-pass there probably won't even  be time to get to the market place  to see the finish on the big screen.

tiermat

« Reply #36 on: 25 June, 2014, 07:52:00 pm »
Sorry , but the Riponians OTP will be heading upcountry, possibly Grinton Bank or even Buttertubs.
I just think that the peloton will be travelling so fast as they can smell the finish line by then.
 If you watch the race on the by-pass there probably won't even  be time to get to the market place  to see the finish on the big screen.

Ripon is 20k to go, so 30 minutes at most, probably more like 20. enough time to get from the fire station into the market place (though, obviously, not enough to get a drink!)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #37 on: 25 June, 2014, 09:16:29 pm »
David , you really must study regional habits  in greater depth. ...
the type of rope that BT use for pulling cables through ducts. This can often be found at the side of the road or in some fella's yard after the cabling has been disposed of for scrap recycling.

Oi! That's my washing line you're talking about there...

Back on topic, I'm vaguely entertaining the idea of joining the scrum on Buttertubs

Psychler

« Reply #38 on: 26 June, 2014, 03:11:20 am »

Wave/come over and say hello if you happen to see a long haired bloke, green Inbred 29er with drops and a YACF shirt. As previously mentioned, I will probably be in the market place shortly after they fly through town (having spent the rest of the time sat out by the river)

Will do!

« Reply #39 on: 26 June, 2014, 07:57:01 am »
If anyone wants the OSM map for the whole area suitable for garmin gps that accept supplementary maps it can be found here for the next 55 hours (30Mb) 

http://osm2.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/13-06-2014/1e6e2cb2fefe37976a17d4cc1f0fd9ab/

« Reply #40 on: 26 June, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »
I believe the toekneecaps will be in Harrogate and possibly York for some of it.

Not sure what I'll do tbh, did have grand plans for watching some of it from Holmfirth but suffering a large dose of CBA.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruth

« Reply #41 on: 29 June, 2014, 02:47:20 pm »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/tour-de-france-2014-you-can-lose-this-race-at-the-start-on-those-hard-yorkshire-climbs-says-britains-first-tour-winner-9570852.html

According to yesterday's Indie, Cycling Yorkshire plan to ensure every child in Yorkshire has a bicycle.  I don't know whether that's true or not, but it's a good story.

I couldn't find any reference to it here.

http://cycle.yorkshire.com/the-legacy

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #42 on: 29 June, 2014, 04:53:20 pm »
I'll be staying close to ITV4...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #43 on: 29 June, 2014, 09:14:14 pm »
Went for a drive round a big part of the route from Grassington onwards, last night.
I had forgotten how narrow the road was in Upper Wharfedale.
Decided on Grinton as best spot, as Cray is too narrow due to walls (unless you stay near the White Lion , on  Buttertubs there is nowhere level to stand but on Grinton Moor it's o.k and we can freewheel into Leyburn to watch the finish on the big screen.
There already one or two campervans on the high ground.
Anticipation is definitely building.

« Reply #44 on: 29 June, 2014, 11:12:21 pm »
MrsH and myself are marshalling on stage 1 sector 1 (Leeds city centre), so we know where we'll be watching on Saturday morning, with guaranteed good views of the road  :)
I'm not sure what we'll do on Sunday; we're staying in Oldham, so close to the route, but we won't have cycles with us and getting to the obvious Holme Moss climb (quite close to where we're staying) will be tough due to closures even on the motorbike. I've got Monday off work so will likely go into London, MrsH is still waiting to hear if she can get the day off.

« Reply #45 on: 30 June, 2014, 12:00:08 am »
Will walk down into Otley, have a play about on the funfair, watch the big telly, try to see some of it. Then ride over to Harrogate, and try and see a bit more.

Will ride over to Addingham on Sunday. More about the atmosphere for me. Will watch telly later. Otley should be a good laugh. Be interesting seeing them try to get through the crossroads in Otley at speed. Wonder what they are doing about the bollards.

« Reply #46 on: 30 June, 2014, 06:42:31 am »
Wonder what they are doing about the bollards.

If it is anything like what they have done with the road surface on the Epping - London stretch, I can tell you.

Sweet FA. Maybe they see it as our answer to Roubaix pavé?

Psychler

« Reply #47 on: 30 June, 2014, 04:02:04 pm »
Wonder what they are doing about the bollards.

If it is anything like what they have done with the road surface on the Epping - London stretch, I can tell you.

Sweet FA. Maybe they see it as our answer to Roubaix pavé?

Same as the Willingale to Moreton stretch on stage 3.  A lot of potholes and broken tarmac.

« Reply #48 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:34:50 am »
They've re-done all our roads in Otley. Real smooth.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #49 on: 01 July, 2014, 08:20:23 pm »
There's a great sign on the M6 South of Leyland, saying that all routes across the Pennines will be disrupted at the weekend, it advises using the M62 or the A66. I tried a quick calculation as to how many square miles lie between those two roads, then my brain shut down.