Author Topic: Fixing an Ultrashift  (Read 683 times)

Fixing an Ultrashift
« on: 10 May, 2020, 08:45:32 pm »
I've got a pair of Veloce Ergos. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it's 10-speed Ultrashift, although the Campagnolo catalogues are a bit confusing in claiming that 2010 was 11-speed and 2011 was back to 10-speed, which I think is rubbish. I'm clear that you can't rebuild Ultrashifts as you could earlier levers (boo!) They are off the bike, and I'm trying to work out whether to fit them.

The right one was doing nothing. I investigated, and found that it had basically over-shifted beyond the ratchet, onto the smooth part of the cylinder. I wound it back with a small screwdriver. It works fine, but then over-shifts again. I can see, however, that a cable attached to a stopped derailleur would limit its movement, and prevent this.

Is this normal, or is something likely to be dodgy? Shame to waste them, but very annoying to build a bike with them and have them go wrong immediately.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Fixing an Ultrashift
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:23:13 pm »
I've supplied & fitted 2 sets of US Veloce.

The second set has just failed in the same way as the first, the front shifter unscrewed itself and the drum/ratchet/spring collapsed.

So I'd say no, look for some 2nd gen Veloce or Centaur and get new hoods.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:24:14 am »
I thought you could rebuild Ultrashift, but not Powershift?

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:43:44 am »
I'm no expert but, as far as I can tell, rebuilding an Ultrashift consists of replacing everything except the brake lever as one unit. That's not my definition of a rebuild. I've not yet got my head around Powershift in terms of maintenance - I've been working on bikes for decades, but I stuck with friction shifters for ages and never quite updated myself at this level of detail.

If I could track down some late 9-speed Ergos at a reasonable price, I might take Torslanda's advice. Something with parts availability will always beat something throw-away. Otherwise, I have a ShiftMate and I may try the Ergos that I have.

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2020, 09:33:13 am »
Between 2010 and 2011 The Campag spares catalogues suggest the existence of Veloce 10s US, 10s Escape (QS), 10s Powershift, and 10s Escape models.

As suggested above the pick of the bunch is.... (drum roll)

….None of 'em. 

A 10s G-spring shifter (Veloce 10s 2004-2006, other models 2000-2006) is a much better bet.

Until it wears out.

Ho hum.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:17:47 pm »
Thanks. As above, if I track down an affordable 9-speed, I'll go with that, because I have a (new-type) 9-speed derailleur and cassette. If not, I'll try the ones I have and see what happens.