Author Topic: OK to fit clip-ons to carbon bar?  (Read 1062 times)

OK to fit clip-ons to carbon bar?
« on: 17 January, 2019, 04:37:27 pm »
I have some 3T Aeronova team carbon bars and want to fit clip-on tri bars that I have - Profile Design T2+ Cobras.

The Aeronova's are apparently compatible with tri-bars, but 3T only recommend fitting their own brand  ::-).

Warranty aside, are there any issues that could be a problem doing this if I keep within suggested torque limits?
The sound of one pannier flapping

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: OK to fit clip-ons to carbon bar?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2019, 06:41:31 pm »
i've used clip-on tribars attached onto carbon drop bars for several thousand km without any problem.

if the diameter of the clamp matches the handlebar, why would there be a difference between the recommended tribars and the rest?

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2019, 06:55:32 pm »
Scoring, I suppose.

Doesn't seem to be a problem when clamping a front mach onto a carbon frame though...

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2019, 10:18:01 am »
scoring is a far greater risk (than say with a FD) because there will be substantial torque going through the clamps at times.

Clamps themselves vary; some are flexible enough that the pressure will be applied fairly evenly, others are more rigid, so local pressure is more likely. The latter sort are very much more intolerant of small mismatches in diameter.

Possibly the handlebars are reinforced where the 'recommended' tribars are meant to fit. If your tribars are similarly spaced and the clamps fit/are of similar design, you ought to be OK.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2019, 10:24:02 am »
Thanks Brucey

Yes, I'll try and do some visual comparisons between the two clamps before fitting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The sound of one pannier flapping