Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168990 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13325 on: 28 October, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »
Got the recalcitrant wheel back into the commuter. Had another failed attempt at removing a pedal.
At some point I'll take the cranks off (drive side, natch) and stick it in the vice, but not today.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13326 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:35:10 pm »
 Built two rear wheels and had an MRI on my knee - hospital called at 6.30pm with an 8.00pm slot.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13327 on: 02 November, 2018, 10:22:33 am »
About to replace the rubber tube that connects burner tap to gas bottle in my workshop heater, a horrible process akin to getting your foot into a shoe three sizes too small. Both feet, since it has two ends.

Legend on tube says to replace it before 2017, new one says 2023. New tube is 1m50 long and I only need 75 cm, so I reckon I can cut it in two and get 10 years out of it instead of five.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13328 on: 02 November, 2018, 01:05:14 pm »
Adjusted the 10" blade on my new (to me) SIP table saw so that it tracks parallel to the mitre slots.

After much, much to-ing and fro-ing, and cranking my hand to get at the 4 near-inaccessible bolts that clamp the motor assembly to the table top, and checking the offset twixt mitre slot and a 3 foot steel ruler clamped along the plane of the blade, multiple times, I got it to <0.3mm over a distance of 450mm.  Close enough, methinks.

Good job I'm retired, I'd never have the time to devote to this if I had something else to do in the day.....

Now, on to finish the cross cut sled so I can cut stuff without losing my fingers at the same time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13329 on: 02 November, 2018, 01:09:59 pm »
Legend on tube says to replace it before 2017, new one says 2023. New tube is 1m50 long and I only need 75 cm, so I reckon I can cut it in two and get 10 years out of it instead of five.

Doesn't the rubber deteriorate at the same rate, regardless of whether it's being used?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13330 on: 02 November, 2018, 01:13:51 pm »

Doesn't the rubber deteriorate at the same rate, regardless of whether it's being used?
That's my understanding too. The regulator fitted to the top of the bottle has a finite life time as well.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #13331 on: 02 November, 2018, 01:23:08 pm »
I think UV, temperature etc. etc. have a major part to play in the degradation. The 5 year "service life" will be for exterior pigtails - and is a recommendation, not legislative. So keeping the spare in a dark drawer/cupboard will be fine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13332 on: 02 November, 2018, 02:31:03 pm »
As long as it doesn't harden like tyres do.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13333 on: 02 November, 2018, 03:28:03 pm »
I think UV, temperature etc. etc. have a major part to play in the degradation. The 5 year "service life" will be for exterior pigtails - and is a recommendation, not legislative. So keeping the spare in a dark drawer/cupboard will be fine.

exactly, cool, dark and not exposed to service gas, temperature or pressure.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13334 on: 02 November, 2018, 03:57:41 pm »
About to replace the rubber tube that connects burner tap to gas bottle in my workshop heater, a horrible process akin to getting your foot into a shoe three sizes too small. Both feet, since it has two ends.

If that's the standard tubing for butane/propane cylinders I've had lots joy heating the male part with a cigarette lighter first to make it easier, somebody will be along in a mo to tell me I should have died in a fireball some years ago

« Reply #13335 on: 02 November, 2018, 05:28:42 pm »
If that's the standard tubing for butane/propane cylinders I've had lots joy heating the male part with a cigarette lighter first to make it easier, somebody will be along in a mo to tell me I should have died in a fireball some years ago
It's usually best to rinse it in petrol first.
:demon:
Rust never sleeps

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13336 on: 02 November, 2018, 06:30:59 pm »
the screw holding the bottom fixing of a shower rail has snapped because of rust. annoyingly it snapped almost flush with the tile. spent a jolly good hour drilling holes into the plastic plug around the screw with a tiny drill bit (also broke one in the process). managed to wiggle the rusty screw out and put in a new one in, covered with grease.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13337 on: 02 November, 2018, 06:44:32 pm »
Steady progress is being made on an Airfix 1:32 scale 1910 B Type Bus.

Dad was given this for his 40th birthday and for some reason never got round to making it up, which means the kit is over 50 years old. It turned up when we were clearing the house. I haven't made an Airfix kit since I was about 12, so it'll take a while.

« Reply #13338 on: 02 November, 2018, 06:54:58 pm »
Steady progress is being made on an Airfix 1:32 scale 1910 B Type Bus.

Dad was given this for his 40th birthday and for some reason never got round to making it up, which means the kit is over 50 years old. It turned up when we were clearing the house. I haven't made an Airfix kit since I was about 12, so it'll take a while.
Do you need any dichlo?
I've 500ml that I don't know what to do with.

Phil W

« Reply #13339 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:53:09 pm »
Retaped a tubeless rim, new valve fitted, and reinflated.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13340 on: 03 November, 2018, 03:37:13 pm »
Fitted the Shimano disc brakes to the single speed mountain bike, then tested.

Effectively defetteled my offset smoker
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13341 on: 03 November, 2018, 04:33:38 pm »
Xmas (and the rest of the year) festive lights, have moved into the 21st century and had their filament lamps replaced by LEDs.
960 of them.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13342 on: 03 November, 2018, 05:09:27 pm »
Top retro phone there J.

« Reply #13343 on: 03 November, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »
Top retro phone there J.
Thank you.
It won't take/make calls.
The reason I have it connected is for the ring tone.

My desk phone is a https://www.pmctelecom.co.uk/telephones/corded-telephones-analogue/corded-home-office-telephones/jacob-jensen-t3-designer-corded-telephone
I'm not overfond of present day ring tone offerings.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13344 on: 03 November, 2018, 05:47:48 pm »
It's been downhill ever since the Trimphone.

« Reply #13345 on: 03 November, 2018, 05:49:35 pm »
It's been downhill ever since the Trimphone.
Plummeting to oblivion.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13346 on: 03 November, 2018, 05:49:44 pm »
I do wonder for how much longer BT will send ringing current down the line as most phones these days generated their own tones.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13347 on: 03 November, 2018, 05:53:31 pm »
I do wonder for how much longer BT will send ringing current down the line as most phones these days generated their own tones.

Until they phase out POTS entirely (I'm not holding my breath).  Why break an established standard for no obvious benefit?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13348 on: 03 November, 2018, 06:00:26 pm »
Well, a couple of obvious benefits would be the removal of ringing machines in exchanges, and a reduction of noise created by 75v AC. As standards go, the 75v AC is very robust, and it has the advantage of keep dry joins from oxidising, but I can’t think of many other benefits to keeping it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13349 on: 03 November, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »
Stops you falling asleep while fettling patch panels...