Author Topic: Fixing merino base layer elbows  (Read 966 times)

Fixing merino base layer elbows
« on: 24 October, 2020, 02:25:20 pm »
Must be middle classed as I have a very sharp right elbow which wears through all my merino clothing.  Is there a way to fix this (glue?) or do you just accept that wool base layers will biodegrade over a couple of years?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Fixing merino base layer elbows
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:39:57 pm »
Elbow pads?
https://www.johnlewis.com/prym-sew-on-nappa-leather-patches-2-per-pack

Might be a bit tricky on fine woven merino baselayer, works fine on my lambswool jerseys that are obviously paired with Corduroy trousers.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:58:35 pm »
Turn them into a t shirt?
I'm trying to work out what to do with my long sleeve Isobaa that has worn massive holes into the oxters of all places. I shan't be buying Isobaa again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:26:20 pm »
I have turned a number of them into T-shirts - to the point where I have too many T-shirts now!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2020, 08:10:57 pm »
I was thinking of re-purposing. I'm not sure I have any left without holey elbows. Maybe I can use the bodies of the worst to make new sleeves for the others?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2020, 08:18:13 pm »
Despite having pointy elbows mine have never gone there. Mostly at the belly/belt/waistband area and then just that Isobaa one at the oxters with a very well loved purple Icebreaker getting a massive hole on the shoulder.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2020, 08:47:03 pm »
Mine just get holes in random places where the moths eat them.  :'( They never seem to get to the stage wear they actually wear out.

Maybe turn them into short sleeve tops instead?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:05:45 pm »
Maybe pad out whatever surface on which your elbows rest...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:18:29 pm »
Yep. Well, it sounds sensible to me. IME elbow holes wear from the outside, friction with other things, not friction with elbows themselves. So some sort of patch on the outside of the elbow.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:28:56 pm »
Stretch yarn and darn it,

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2020, 10:51:40 pm »
Neoprene rubber mouse pad...

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2020, 03:50:18 pm »
I read somewhere about 'darning' by putting the darning wool in approx the right place and letting it stick.  Sounds fab but I've no ide how it would work.
Meanwhile best option probably to turn the most worn one into patches for the others

If you are really cunning you take off the sleeves and swap them round, just before they expire, thus moving the outside of the elbow to the inside. 
I tried this twice but was confounded by the machine stitching on the garment - worked fine first time with hand knitted/hand sewn together woolly jumper.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2020, 04:49:24 pm »
I've successfully darned moth holes with matching fine cotton thread. I'm not sure this would work well on elbows though.