Author Topic: Etrex Jitters  (Read 4885 times)

Etrex Jitters
« on: 01 March, 2015, 09:28:30 am »
Anyone had any new ideas on vibration minimization?  My jitters are getting worse so I am going for a belt and braces 'this bastard ain't gonna move again' approach before next weekend.  Of course, this is all fine, until the batteries need changing on a ride.  There is only so much duct tape I want to use.....

What are peoples current solutions?  At the moment mine is stuffed with tissue paper and the mount packed out with duct tape.  I think I need to buffer the mount from the bike though, which I am going to look at doing this week.  I have also seen these (over priced at £2.50???) elastic bands which provided food for thought. 
Does not play well with others

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Etrex Jitters
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:00:01 am »
I've not had any trouble at all for many years, since packing the mount with tape.  I do also prefer to use the oversize bar mount even on non-oversize bars, which puts a bit of extra rubber in the right place.  £5 from Amazon
I don't believe packing the battery compartment achieves anything (unless you have unusually undersized cells) though I don't suppose it does any harm either, and at least you always have a spare tissue when you need one!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:00:56 am »
Black insulating tape wrapped round the mount and the end where it says Garmin.  I leave the ends doubled over so that I can peel it off easily. One length lasts for several days - when I'm changing batteries I let it dangle from the mount.

Sorry about the dust, I haven't been out for a week and we have boisterous dogs.

I tried packing between the mount and the unit, but that only ever worked for a day or two, and finally the unit jumped out of the mount. A roll of black tape in the bar bag is handy on multi-day rides in any case.

Re the older type of mount - Venture Hcx etc - I never found a solution to vibration.  I just carried the thing in a pocket of my bag bag and had a look every so often.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:33:41 pm »
I've never really had a problem with vibration on an eTrex (I've had 4 different models over the years), other than the rattling noise caused by the old style mount which is easily cured with a layer of tape.  The eTrex 30 mount doesn't rattle.  I don't believe that eliminating rattle between the unit and the bracket is going to make a significant difference to the amount of vibration it's subjected to - the bars on a rigid-fork bike are still a high-vibration environment, even if you don't have a reference to observe it against.

The spring contacts internal to my VistaHCX eventually wore their way through the copper layer to the non-conductive board beneath, at which point it became sensitive to hard jolts (actual potholes, rather than rough surfaces).  Fixed it by soldering bodge wire between the battery springs and a convenient point on the board.

I do use a lanyard.  So far, that's only come into play during actual crashes (on the recumbent, where I tend to land on the eTrex).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2015, 01:25:58 pm »
My Etrex 20 popped out of the mount and hit tarmac at around 45 kph. The only damage was a slight abrasion of the black rubber surround. Tough.

It would probably have stayed in the mount if I hadn't packed it with layers of tape to stop the irritating jiggly noise.  That's gone now, but of course something else took over.

« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »
I had this problem with my ram mount, solved it with a wrap of inner tube round bars where mount is fixed. Smooth as silk now, no vibration.

« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Thank you for the input folks

Can't believe I didn't think of insulating tape instead of (supersticky) duct tape  :facepalm:

I have oversized bars but I have a plan to pad out the mount a bit with old inner tube.  I will take photos  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:45:32 am »
No vibration problems with an Etrex 20 and a Garmin mount.  I wonder whether your mount is 3rd party manufacture.

« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2015, 12:08:07 pm »
What they do is buy an OE part, strip it down and laser scan the components.
Feed the data into a CNC machine and it cuts a mould.

Trouble is, the resultant mould is slightly the wrong dimensions, which results in either tightness or looseness in the assembly.

Also, the plastics they use are recycled from used Tesco bags shipped in from Birmingham City Council ( Veolia ) waste sorting depot.

They can do you an entire Range Rover Evoque.

« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2015, 06:44:17 pm »
No vibration problems with an Etrex 20 and a Garmin mount.  I wonder whether your mount is 3rd party manufacture.

Yes it is

I was wondering whether I just need to cough up and get a proper Garmin one, but I have brought this one on recommendation *ponders

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:24:35 am »
Here's mine. Picture a little shaky and a little untidy but does the job great.

« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:57:50 am »

Is the vacant space under the unit to stash spare batteries?

« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:46:28 am »

Yes it is

I was wondering whether I just need to cough up and get a proper Garmin one, but I have brought this one on recommendation *ponders

I got a pair of genuine Garmins because someone — possibly Francis — warned about the variability of others. Anyway, they both fit securely, though I do always attach the lanyard.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:56:36 am »
I find that the GPS unit needs to be wiggled during removal from my genuine Garmin mount due to the tight fit. Thumping the bottom of the unit to remove it is not recommended - DAMHIKT.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:27:37 am »
I was wondering whether I just need to cough up and get a proper Garmin one

Normally I'm all in favour of cheap 'grey' copies when the original is overpriced - camera batteries for example - but in this specific case it does seem that its worth paying the extra for the Garmin-branded and packaged mount.

The pukka Garmin mount has a vice-like grip - too grippy really, I find it very difficult to release the GPS without damaging my hands in the process.  My two cheap copies are worse then useless - the latch just doesn't engage properly - I wouldn't even give them away to my worst enemy.  But some people get on with them alright so there is a theory that it's a matter of sample variation.

Spot the difference:

No?  The difference is, that the one on the right works, and the one on the left doesn't.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:35:04 am »

Is the vacant space under the unit to stash spare batteries?

Yes it's a bit ugly large, could possibly fit a flapjack or two in there for emergencies?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:42:08 am »
Use genuine Garmin mount, which has a clicky bit at end to release; mount it on the STEM, if necessary using packing blocks of rubber strip. I also use a blob of blutack on middle of mount to stop rattles and loop a lanyard around and under stem / Etrex as a security measure

You could also pop down to Malvern Audio and get hold of some sorbothane sheet / offcuts maybe which seems to be the bees knees shock absorber and put this under mount as a buffer.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:46:31 am »
They can do you an entire Range Rover Evoque.

Land Wino??

« Reply #18 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:53:14 am »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:59:29 am »
Aw. Wino would have been nice.

« Reply #20 on: 04 March, 2015, 11:54:01 am »
Aw. Wino would have been nice.

They're going to make a copy of a Raleigh touring bike and call it the 'Sausage wind'.....

I'll get my coat.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #21 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »
Use genuine Garmin mount, which has a clicky bit at end to release; mount it on the STEM, if necessary using packing blocks of rubber strip. I also use a blob of blutack on middle of mount to stop rattles and loop a lanyard around and under stem / Etrex as a security measure

You could also pop down to Malvern Audio and get hold of some sorbothane sheet / offcuts maybe which seems to be the bees knees shock absorber and put this under mount as a buffer.

The genuine mount does hold better than the copies. I've stuck a couple thin rubber pads on my 3rd party one which seems to hold it far more tightly. The sort of things that you put on furniture to stop it scraping floors.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #22 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »
Thanks for the input folks.

My extra padding plans at the weekend didn't work and the darned thing turned itself off four times.  So I am definitely going to get a genuine Garmin mount as the next step. Although I suspect I may actually need a new Etrex even though this one is only a year old, but I'll worry about that if the issues still occur with a genuine mount  :-\

So anyway I had a look and I am a bit confused to exactly which one I need as there seem to be a few options? 

Is it this one, but with an oversized clamp for my fat bars?

« Reply #23 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:57:59 pm »
It should look like the ones in FF's photos above, and definitely with the Garmin name on it.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo