Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 8488 times)

red marley

Better Call Saul
« on: 09 February, 2015, 09:38:10 pm »
The Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul has now started on Netflix.

I like the tone of the opener - closer to the deadpan humour of the early episodes of Breaking Bad than the comic relief provided by Saul in the later series (loved the courtroom numbskulls scene). Still a few comic slapstick moments though and hints of darkness yet to come. And they use the Breaking Bad universe to good effect. Looks like it will be worth sticking with.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2015, 09:47:40 pm »
What is this Netflix you speak of?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2015, 09:51:12 pm »
Look forward to it  ;D
I've been having Breaking Bad withdrawal symptoms for some time. Dexter relieved them for a while, but it's still left an epic gap in my life  ;D

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2015, 10:30:21 am »
I'm still diligently ploughing my way through Breaking Bad, I'm up to the start of season 4. I like how US programs are particularly sensitive to audience reaction and will change tack if needs be. Equally, cast and crew learn on the job and become more slick/polished. As a result, characters change (and I don't just mean 'grow') and themes are tinkered with. Anyone that followed House will have seen that, and Breaking Bad is doing it too. I like it more now than I did in series 1.

The character of Saul is instrumental in the changes. I'd be interested to see what they do with him in his own series but he clearly has to be fleshed out, become less 2d, to do that. The beauty of the way American team writing goes, there probably was a good deal of back story already sketched out for him.

« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:00:15 pm »
Watching this - it's pretty good really, I'm going to stay with it.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:17:51 pm »
I'm still diligently ploughing my way through Breaking Bad, I'm up to the start of season 4. I like how US programs are particularly sensitive to audience reaction and will change tack if needs be. Equally, cast and crew learn on the job and become more slick/polished. As a result, characters change (and I don't just mean 'grow') and themes are tinkered with. Anyone that followed House will have seen that, and Breaking Bad is doing it too. I like it more now than I did in series 1.

The character of Saul is instrumental in the changes. I'd be interested to see what they do with him in his own series but he clearly has to be fleshed out, become less 2d, to do that. The beauty of the way American team writing goes, there probably was a good deal of back story already sketched out for him.

You're the same place as me - god knows where it's going in the next few seasons - come on Lovefilm - where's the disc already?  >:(   ;D

I shall look forward to the spin off after….
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2015, 01:33:11 am »
Just watched the first episode, having finished Breaking Bad at the weekend. Looks like it has potential though BB is almost an impossibly tough act to follow.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2015, 05:57:07 am »
What is this Netflix you speak of?

It's like any Class A drug you care to mention but more addictive. Breaking Bad is the best thing I've ever seen on a screen. We're just starting season 4.

« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:37:32 am »
We've now watches all 6 that are up there, so have to wait for the next episode  :-\
So far it's very good. can't wait to see how many more BB characters pop up over time!

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2016, 06:23:48 pm »
I'd sort of ignored it all year thinking that it might be a bad comedown from Breaking Bad and sour my memory of what was an almost impossibly excellent series. Then I found myself with flu and a Netflix subscription last week and I bingewatched it over two days.

It is excellent! So many fantastic scenes, superb acting and hilarious dialogue. The final bingo scene where Jimmy talks about the 'Chicago sunroof' is a classic.

« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2016, 04:22:49 pm »
I read in today's Guardian that Season 2 starts on Netflix next Tuesday.

This is a good thing  :) :) :)

« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2016, 06:28:44 pm »
Anyone watching sn2?  I'm enjoying it still.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2016, 06:35:44 pm »
I am.   It isn't gripping me as much as the first season but it is still good tv.

« Reply #13 on: 28 March, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »
Loving it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2016, 09:59:10 am »
Me. I'm loving it too.

Mike is possibly my favourite character in anything ever.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #15 on: 13 April, 2016, 08:06:39 am »
The cinematography is pretty damned good. Loved the very long roving opening shot of the border crossing in (IIRC) episode 7.

« Reply #16 on: 13 April, 2016, 08:53:26 am »
The last two episodes have been great.

« Reply #17 on: 13 April, 2016, 09:35:44 am »
The cinematography is pretty damned good. Loved the very long roving opening shot of the border crossing in (IIRC) episode 7.
Yes, it was brilliant. I think it was an homage to the famous opening shot 'A Touch Of Evil', which was also on the US/Mexico border.

« Reply #18 on: 13 April, 2016, 11:08:19 am »
It was a counterpoint to the Pollos Hermanos van heists in BB. The point being that nobody died.

citoyen

« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2016, 07:24:58 pm »
Great series finale last night - frustrating and surprising in equal measure.

Only disappointment is that it's probably going to be another year before the next series... Pah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2016, 08:12:49 pm »
A stunning finale, with both storyline.

I sense the hand of Gustavo.

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2017, 10:38:22 am »
Binged on the first five eps of S3 last night. It's still excellent, although the tone is becoming less comedic and a bit darker. The last episode with Jimmy's hearing before the bar council was superb.

I want to watch S2 again as there is quite a lot I've forgotten regarding the business with Mike and Hector. I think I also need to watch Breaking Bad again, for that matter.

« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:13:10 am »
Yes, it's getting darker. Chuck is a fantastic character and so well acted. More and more Breaking Bad style menacing  opening scenes.

Like you, I've forgotten many of the details from previous series

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #23 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:04:07 pm »
I stalled a few episodes into Series 2, perhaps I should pick it up again.

Then again, I'm currently on a Twin Peaks binge in anticipation of the new series starting next week.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 13 May, 2017, 04:20:08 pm »
I only recently started watching this, still early days in S1 after never finishing BB.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.