Author Topic: Stone to Waddesdon?  (Read 2792 times)

Stone to Waddesdon?
« on: 14 June, 2020, 11:44:18 am »
Just wondering if anyone has experience of this direct Stone to Waddesdon Hill route, through the estate.  Strava heat map shows that the majority of bike riders do not follow the 'more difficult' bridleway, but the main 'footpath', which is road AFAIA.    Bing OS shows RofW for this area...

Any thoughts?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Stone to Waddesdon?
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2020, 12:51:36 pm »
I often took the route with South Bucks CTC, heading north from Lower Hartwell through Eythrope Park, straight across the (not really a) main road and through Waddesdon Manor grounds. It is among the most pleasant ride sections I remember.

Neither of your map links worked for me, Andy; I like OS maps where context, landmarks and more can be seen - here on Streetmap, for example.

Here is the Google street view showing the gates to the grounds of Waddesdon Manor - you may need to zoom out from looking at a tree. Swivel round 180° to see a red tractor and 50 metres down the driveway the gates on that side of the road.

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2020, 02:49:38 pm »
Thanks rr.    :)   Most people do seem to use the estate road (per Strava global heatmap) presumably without too much bother.   The bridleway going Nth does a RT after the bridge, then follows Midshires, and Swan's paths, & very close to the 147m trig pt. 

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2020, 04:44:58 pm »
No problem riding straight through on the estate roads. Years ago did an Audax which did just that.

The unsurfaced bridleway is a bit rough, and when I last rode it on my Moulton got a lot of grass caught up in the rear derailleur.

Planning to ride our tandem from Stone through the estates tomorrow.

Davef

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2020, 05:05:49 pm »
I did an audax last September that did that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ppg

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2020, 05:36:47 pm »
No problem riding straight through on the estate roads. Years ago did an Audax which did just that.

Yep, have been through the estate many times, you had to wiggle through the pedestrian gate at Waddesdon Hill though as the road gate was rarely open.

Rocco's Autumn Assortment 200k used that route amongst others , controlled at the nearby Toulouse café (it had 2 loos)
Happy Days!

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2020, 05:47:41 pm »
OK thanks all.  :)  Also planning to do (early am) some A41, by way of contrast.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2020, 05:58:43 pm »
The Autum Assortment was reborn as the Boat Ride and goes thru the Eythrope and Waddesdon estates. Yes,  'pedestrian' access only 😎

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2020, 06:56:53 pm »
Not easy on a trike or tandem, solo bike is fine.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2020, 08:55:17 pm »
The gates to cross the road between the two estates are rather narrow, I recall.

Davef

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2020, 08:03:16 am »
https://youtu.be/q5zBbLWIhHY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2020, 03:00:54 pm »
Cycled through from Stone today.

There is a new electronic gate with no pedestrian/cycle access at OS ref 766 141. On our way north it was open, presumably because an estate vehicle had just been through. On our back it was closed, so had to divert via the bridleway (Midshires Way) just to the north of it. I see from the map there's also a footpath to the south of it.

The bridleway is extremely bumpy, even on a Moulton.

Didn't have a problem wiggling the tandem through the Waddesdon gate at the top of Waddesdon Hill, but no way a trike would get through. Saw lots of walkers and cyclists. None of the estate staff challenged us, some even waved!

« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2020, 05:13:42 pm »
Thanks.   

If my OS grid ref reading is correct, it looks like they've attempted to divert walkers/cyclists onto footpath/bridleway, rather than use the short section of estate road to/ from Eythrope.    Seems like a fair expense for not much 'gain'.   

ETA.  Only using that route on way back, so will probably see if gate is open; if not  - bridleway it...

Cycled through from Stone today.

There is a new electronic gate with no pedestrian/cycle access at OS ref 766 141. On our way north it was open, presumably because an estate vehicle had just been through. On our back it was closed, so had to divert via the bridleway (Midshires Way) just to the north of it. I see from the map there's also a footpath to the south of it.

The bridleway is extremely bumpy, even on a Moulton.

Didn't have a problem wiggling the tandem through the Waddesdon gate at the top of Waddesdon Hill, but no way a trike would get through. Saw lots of walkers and cyclists. None of the estate staff challenged us, some even waved!

ppg

« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2020, 05:50:44 pm »
There is a new electronic gate with no pedestrian/cycle access at OS ref 766 141.
Haven't been there for a while but from memory it's just open fields - can you not just walk round it?  8)

« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2020, 08:48:45 pm »
No, thick hedges/copses either side of the the road.

« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2020, 06:21:38 pm »
I did Waddesdon Hill Road to Stone, as part of a longer ride.  Very good estate road down the hill, but eventually I could see the new gate was closed, and I was thinking I may have to cut through to the Bridleway.  However, perfect timing, teh shiney RangeYacht went passed me and stopped at the gate.  I simply followed it through.  Before heading up Waddesdon Hill, I had done a short section of the Waddesdon Greenway (Waddesdon to Aylesbury) - good surface.

pdf map of waddesdon rights of way (from the sign)  https://www.waddesdon.org.uk/rights-of-way

Heading down to the new gate...

IMG_Waddesdon1 by a oxon, on Flickr

Smile you're on camera. 

IMG_Waddesdon2 by a oxon, on Flickr

Looking back at the new gate, as it was closing behind...

IMG_Waddesdon3 by a oxon, on Flickr

Greenway...

IMG_Wgwy1 by a oxon, on Flickr

« Reply #16 on: 23 June, 2020, 08:08:58 am »
 :thumbsup:  was great.  Impressive windmill in Quainton too.

On the way out I did Waddesdon Hill down North through on the estate road, towards Waddesdon village, and saw quite a few cyclists.  Shame they've put the new gate up as it's pot luck whether it'll be open.