Author Topic: Dry January - 2022  (Read 37233 times)

Chris S

Re: Dry January - 2021
« Reply #25 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:41:35 pm »
Giving up alcohol is really not that hard

For your N=1 case, that is.

« Reply #26 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:54:10 pm »
It's my birthday in just over a week and then we usually enjoy a Burns Night supper on or around the 25th.  After that I will try going booze free until at least Easter.

Facebook informed me of your birthday yesterday. I presume this is similar to another Facebook friend who stated dozens of their friends had birthdays yesterday...

Indeed.  I try not to put my actual DOB on social media as a rule

rob

« Reply #27 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:04:06 pm »

Also, Erdinger is not alcohol free. 

« Reply #28 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:25:41 pm »
It's my birthday in just over a week and then we usually enjoy a Burns Night supper on or around the 25th.  After that I will try going booze free until at least Easter.

Facebook informed me of your birthday yesterday. I presume this is similar to another Facebook friend who stated dozens of their friends had birthdays yesterday...

Something that has just occurred to me:  I went through the account deletion process on Faceache well over a year ago, probably two years back.   Are you saying that I still have an account there?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:27:45 pm »

Something that has just occurred to me:  I went through the account deletion process on Faceache well over a year ago, probably two years back.   Are you saying that I still have an account there?

I'll have a look...

ETA. Account there, rather empty, 2 photos, many friends, several mutual yacf denizens, mostly 1 January birthday greetings over the years on your timeline...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:30:18 pm »
Goes without saying that they're not going actually to delete the data they've collected about you, but continuing to leak it to other users is a bit much...

« Reply #31 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:32:21 pm »
A lot much imo. 

« Reply #32 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:53:43 pm »

There are those here who’d beg to differ. In practice I find giving up much less difficult than cutting down. I can resist everything but temptation. One a bottle is opened, that’s it gone. Even 35 years ago, when I drank much less than in recent years, I was astounded at a colleague who could make a bottle last a week.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #33 on: 02 January, 2021, 06:10:35 pm »
My downfall is company. If I'm with a good crowd, I love the craic - years of travelling with big crews meant basically a party most nights, if you were up to it. I can't do it more than once in a while these days, as the recovery period is too debilitating! But on my own, even with a very good bottle of wine, I usually get bored with it and give up and have a coffee. Occasionally, I'll be in the mood for lots of music and a whole bottle on my own - and those evenings are fun - but they are few and far between.

I rather like alcohol, and my relationship with it is far less unhealthy than some. But I may well do the 'dry January' thing, just to say I did it.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #34 on: 03 January, 2021, 07:55:25 am »

What is it? 0.1%?

rob

« Reply #35 on: 03 January, 2021, 08:51:42 am »

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #36 on: 03 January, 2021, 10:06:37 am »
I’m in.
 :thumbsup:
Still in
(I’m not entirely sure how this thread works. Is it like the Whamaggeddon one where one reports failure, or is it more your 5 bar gate sort of thing, with a bit of mutual encouragement thrown in?)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Chris S

« Reply #37 on: 03 January, 2021, 11:47:07 am »
I’m in.
Still in
(I’m not entirely sure how this thread works. Is it like the Whamaggeddon one where one reports failure, or is it more your 5 bar gate sort of thing, with a bit of mutual encouragement thrown in?)

It's more of a tradition really :).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 03 January, 2021, 12:02:56 pm »

For you, maybe.  For some people, three months in rehab at a cost of a Several of thousands of pounds is non-trivial.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #39 on: 03 January, 2021, 12:25:42 pm »

For me it's about making a public commitment. Feel free to shame me if I fall off the wagon.

The encouragement thing is good too.

And we really don't need people telling us how easy it is.  ::-)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #40 on: 03 January, 2021, 12:53:53 pm »
For me it's about making a public commitment. Feel free to shame me if I fall off the wagon.

The encouragement thing is good too.

Indeed. That’s why I didn’t fetch a bottle of red from the shed last evening, for a final drink before properly starting.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

bairn again

« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2021, 12:57:36 pm »
All the best to those abstaining.   

Any Dry January Ive ever done has started from the first working day of the calendar year, given that its our decades old family tradition to have a massive New Years Day party.  Conversely I've never really "got" Hogmanay and have happily acted as family taxi driver in previous years happy to keep my powder dry for a massive hoolie on 1/1.  [Edit - no such party took place on on 1.1.21]

So I'll do the same this year starting Tuesday 5th January and ending Thu 4th Feb. 

Need to stock up with tea bags as I find its largely the ritual I crave.  If I feel the need for a  cold drink I find that a mixture of tonic water and a dash of bitters (I know I know...) is an enjoyable v. v. low alcohol alternative as is low alcohol wheat beer which I deem to be allowed in my version of this!   

Knowing that youre in it with others (even if only virtually) is definitely a help so I will watch this thread for experience and tips. 

I know that my sleep quality improves significantly and quickly - Ive found that remiding myself of that immediate and important plus point helps me on the straight and narrow.  Also - if and when Im tempted - having a ready "something else" to do quickly eg going for a walk also helps.   

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #42 on: 03 January, 2021, 04:35:37 pm »

« Reply #43 on: 03 January, 2021, 06:01:17 pm »
Bah humbug. Christmas is traditionally 12-days and that means it lasts until January 6th. Advent is supposed to be the period of abstinence but somehow its been morphed into a daily does of chocolate (or whatever you have in your calendar).

« Reply #44 on: 03 January, 2021, 06:05:17 pm »
Bah humbug. Christmas is traditionally 12-days and that means it lasts until January 6th. Advent is supposed to be the period of abstinence but somehow its been morphed into a daily does of chocolate (or whatever you have in your calendar).
We collectively seemed to have swapped these two around. We have a month of excess, followed by a period of abstinence, probably of about twelve days before people reach for the chocolate, stop going to the gym or whatever.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #45 on: 03 January, 2021, 06:38:54 pm »
I'd two long sleeved layers, helly hansen base layer and a thick MTB Gore windstopper. When I set off I put a Goretex  top on as well. I feel a bit daft opening this thread but did so as I was taken by surprise at the speed of getting cold. I'll take a leaf out of Tomsks  book and get a packable down jacket.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 03 January, 2021, 11:35:06 pm »
Umm... wrong thread Andy...

rob

« Reply #47 on: 04 January, 2021, 07:59:41 am »

What is it? 0.1%?

0.5%

I'll try to go easy on it then...  ;D

You’re quote began by saying that you had given up on alcohol a year ago.  If you are drinking Erdinger then you have not given up on alcohol.  I liken this to a vegetarian that still eats the odd bit of chicken.

Probably why you claim it was so easy.

I’ve just passed 12 years but there were times last year that were really a struggle.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #48 on: 04 January, 2021, 08:12:41 am »
To be fair, I probably drink an Erdinger every other week... I didn't even know there was any alcohol in it, but I can't say that I am addicted to it as such...
I've gone weeks without any alcohol free beer... it's still a lot of calories, so I tend to avoid ti in the racing season.

It might be genetic, I found giving up drinking easy, others will find it hard... point is it doesn't have to be hard FOR ALL.

Giving up smoking 15 years ago was a bit harder, but again, not THAT HARD

« Reply #49 on: 04 January, 2021, 08:27:56 am »
Fuck off.

Given that for some people it is difficult, please could you restrict your contribution to this thread to something a little more empathetic?