Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 442813 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3450 on: 16 November, 2022, 07:44:01 pm »
Quote from: Mr Larrington
Moreover, another source claims it originated with the Romani word “drom”, meaning “road”...

One wonders if drom was borrowed from, ο δρόμος
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3451 on: 17 November, 2022, 08:36:18 am »
Moreover, another source claims it originated with the Romani word “drom”, meaning “road”...

And thence to the dromedary.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3452 on: 19 November, 2022, 06:13:18 pm »
As I was saying I was fettling the folder, replacing two spokes on a wheel with a Marathon tyre. I said to myself, I said, "go easy, take your time, you don't want to hole the tube now, do you?"

I took my time. I went easy. Or, as easy as you feckin' well can.

So how many holes do you think I had to patch?

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #3453 on: 21 November, 2022, 01:46:58 pm »
Whilst going up some stairs this morning I kicked the riser (stubbed my toes), now my big toe has a bruise across the top and I am struggling to walk on it (holding it in an odd position and not placing any weight on it).

I suspect I may spend some time this evening at minor injuries.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3454 on: 21 November, 2022, 02:34:20 pm »
GWS
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3455 on: 22 November, 2022, 09:06:03 am »
Unless you have reduced blood flow or any nerve damage the treatment is "take care with it". You can self diagnose.

« Reply #3456 on: 22 November, 2022, 09:33:17 am »
Unless you have reduced blood flow or any nerve damage the treatment is "take care with it". You can self diagnose.

When I looked at the website for the local Minor Injuries unit they expressed a preference to attending via a 111 appointment so I went online to the 111 website and followed their questions through.  Answer self care on the basis I can hobble more than 4 steps. The bruise is round most of the toe and is going to be very colourful but no reason to attend.

« Reply #3457 on: 22 November, 2022, 09:39:25 am »
A colleague broke his big toe recently. Advise from his GP friend was "if it's still swollen after 3 days get thee to a hospital". It was, he did, and now has a lightweight walking boot.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3458 on: 23 November, 2022, 06:20:49 pm »

Or if both derived from a common root.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3459 on: 26 November, 2022, 07:58:07 pm »
Either I slept through an entire day this week or I did eight days' shopping last Monday :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3460 on: 27 November, 2022, 09:43:40 am »
On Friday morning .Fell off a five bar fence , whilst erecting a garden shed .  Finished it one armed  . Bruise the size of an egg on the back of my head , think I have cracked a rib and my right shoulder is aching . No Ceilidh last night , and no trike-ing  today . If the thick numptey ,I was working for had rang me the night before . I would have loaded up the pick up with equipment to erect a shed , ie steps . No he rings me at 8.30 am that morning  , to tell me he has a shed about to be delivered to the allotment . When I am at the Quarry loading Gravel for a patio .                                   
    Can we please go back to the time, only trades men were involved in construction.     
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #3461 on: 28 November, 2022, 02:29:40 pm »
So I decide I need a waterproof cover for a rucksack, and while I'm at it it might as well be hi-vis/reflective. Turns out everywhere is sold out of such things. Anyway I'm looking on the Decathlon website and spot that they do hi-vis and reflective strips to go round your rucksack. So I have bought one of those, but that of course is not waterproof and I still need something to keep the rain out...  :facepalm:

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3462 on: 28 November, 2022, 06:42:07 pm »
Me today, cycled over a cattle grid on the Brompton forgetting I had the pump on the frame. The back wheel locked up as it leapt from its mounting, and got wedged between wheel and frame - but fortunately I was clear enough of the grid to stay on the bike. Cue a few hours later a search for a petrol station with an airline just outside Glasgow airport having had to let the tyres down to fly. We succeeded...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3463 on: 29 November, 2022, 12:35:39 pm »
Shortly after I got my Brompton, a forumite advised me to stick a velcro strap around the pump to discourage it from escaping.  This seems to stand up to cattle grids slightly better than the headset does.

« Reply #3464 on: 30 November, 2022, 08:25:03 pm »
See what have I fettled thread for background but needed dishwasher salt from the shed which is a mess and the salt wad in corner on top of a cabinet but behind my bike on turbo. I stretches and lift. Only about 8kg but at full-stretch it didn't half twang my shoulder as it slid off the cabinet

« Reply #3465 on: 30 November, 2022, 11:55:28 pm »
So I decide I need a waterproof cover for a rucksack, and while I'm at it it might as well be hi-vis/reflective. Turns out everywhere is sold out of such things. Anyway I'm looking on the Decathlon website and spot that they do hi-vis and reflective strips to go round your rucksack. So I have bought one of those, but that of course is not waterproof and I still need something to keep the rain out...  :facepalm:

Unless you care particularly about the fabric of your rucksack itself becoming waterlogged, line it. Waterproof covers can be quite effective, but rain can trickle and seep round the edges. What it can't do is penetrate a rolled-down poly bag inside a fastened rucksack.

If you're feeling fancy, get a lightweight drybag, maybe even one labelled "waterproof rucksack liner". But lining is key. Unless the sogginess of a saturated rucksack really matters, line it. And even then, you can get some hefty DWR onto it to keep the worst of the waterlogging at bay.

Motorcycle-commutes to an outdoor-shop-managing job through Snowdonia winters have thought me a thing or two about how waterproof anything really is.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3466 on: 01 December, 2022, 12:10:19 am »
Waterproof rucksack covers are, on the other hand, just the thing to keep rain and bird shit off your recumbent seat while it's parked outdoors...

« Reply #3467 on: 01 December, 2022, 01:06:36 am »
Waterproof rucksack covers are, on the other hand, just the thing to keep rain and bird shit off your recumbent seat while it's parked outdoors...

I've spent a remarkable amount of time wishing I owned - but never quite getting round to buying - such a vehicle. At such time as I eventually do - duly noted.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3468 on: 01 December, 2022, 07:35:18 am »

Unless you care particularly about the fabric of your rucksack itself becoming waterlogged, line it. Waterproof covers can be quite effective, but rain can trickle and seep round the edges. What it can't do is penetrate a rolled-down poly bag inside a fastened rucksack.

If you're feeling fancy, get a lightweight drybag, maybe even one labelled "waterproof rucksack liner". But lining is key. Unless the sogginess of a saturated rucksack really matters, line it. And even then, you can get some hefty DWR onto it to keep the worst of the waterlogging at bay.

Motorcycle-commutes to an outdoor-shop-managing job through Snowdonia winters have thought me a thing or two about how waterproof anything really is.

My solution (for panniers too) is to use "rubble bags" from Screwfix - heavy-duty polythene bags - as liners, rolled over to seal the open end.   I even use them in my spangly Ortleib panniers as belt and braces waterproofing security.

« Reply #3469 on: 01 December, 2022, 02:24:21 pm »

As a hardened hillwalker, mostly in Scotland, I have plenty of drybags, but think that putting everything into drybags for a 15 minutes train to office hop is overkill, while putting a waterproof cover over the rucksack will be enough for the times it does rain heavily - especially if it can do double duty by being hivis and reflective (the thread for discussing the efficacy of that kind of thing is over there ==>).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3470 on: 01 December, 2022, 07:00:53 pm »
Achievement unlocked.
For the first time (I think), I managed to do that comedy thing where you fill the washing machine drum with foam and it comes out the drawer and you come back to find a big foamy lake all over the floor.  :facepalm:

Dunno how that happened because I was doing a maintenance wash so there wasn't any detergent in there (just some laundry bleach and some soda crystals).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3471 on: 01 December, 2022, 11:41:19 pm »

As a hardened hillwalker, mostly in Scotland, I have plenty of drybags, but think that putting everything into drybags for a 15 minutes train to office hop is overkill, while putting a waterproof cover over the rucksack will be enough for the times it does rain heavily - especially if it can do double duty by being hivis and reflective (the thread for discussing the efficacy of that kind of thing is over there ==>).

Fair enough...though in that sort of context I just don't really bother with any such measures, and allow a combination of brolly and slightly waxy canvas rucksack to deal with the rain.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3472 on: 05 December, 2022, 09:44:02 pm »
Ajusting the pressure in a tyre I repaired earlier from Pmax (patch, for the testing and bedding in of) to something reasonable to ride on...

"Hm, it's a bit late to run the compressor, so I'll take the quick chuck off the Prestaflator™ and screw it on to the valve so it doesn't leak, so I don't have to top it up by much..."

*successfully adjusts pressure to 55 pissys without leakage*

*carefully begins unscrewing chuck*

*pssssss*

"Uhoh"

*unscrews faster*

*pssSSSSSSSSSSSSsssphutcrinkle*

*peers at  a) deflated tyre and  2) chuck with valve core still attached*

<ob-Basil> "Bugger."

« Reply #3473 on: 06 December, 2022, 07:56:55 pm »
Just checking on some credit card transactions from the weekend. Two rounds of drinks in a very busy pub. First one £15-70. Second (identical) one £45-70  :o
I assume the barman hit the wrong key on the contactless pad and I didn't check closely enough before tapping.
I am not popular!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3474 on: 06 December, 2022, 09:21:44 pm »
I managed to buy a round of drinks last week that cost around the same and it wasn’t a mistake.

London prices. That’s all. Ugh.

Of course, there’s always the possibility that the barperson knows you won’t be checking the amount too closely at the time of paying and deliberately rounds it up a bit. I’m sure this has happened to me before - meal in a pub a year or so ago, only realised when I got home that the waiter had added a few quid to the bill.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."