Author Topic: A day under the river  (Read 7432 times)

A day under the river
« on: 07 September, 2008, 01:01:52 pm »
As mentioned elsewhere, yesterday myself  and a small and privileged group from Southwark Cyclists went to see this

only from the inside, and underneath, and in the areas behind the electrified fence, not normally open to Joe Public.

This is one of the smaller ‘falling’ gates, of which there are four, each one spanning 31.5 metres between the piers. Those (like this one) closest to the banks are non-navigable.

Beneath the river, in the concrete trough where the gates sit  when they are not in use, there are two service tunnels – one on the upriver side, one on the down river side.

The tunnels are similar in size to the inside of a tube train and carry masses of wiring and fire protection between the piers. All power and other services are duplicated in the second tunnel as back-up. They are painted in a pale green colour, as favoured at one time by government institutions.
It is possible to access one bank of the river from the other using the tunnels. When I mentioned this to Simon L3, I he (unsurprisingly) thought I'd come up with a new FNRttC river crossing point.  :hand:

The yellow lump towards the left side of this picture, is the indoors end of one of the yellow
A-frames (pictured below) which can be seen on each of the larger piers. The yellow cylinder on the right is one of two which contain  pistons which push or pull the A-frame which in turn rotate the gate.

Each of the large gates weighs 3700 tonnes and closes off a 61m span of the river.
Each gate, apparently, contains more steel than the Eiffel tower.
The span is identical to that of the piers of Tower Bridge. Each gate can withstand a force of 9000 tonnes.

This is the business end of the piston with it’s ram in a protective gaiter.
15,000 tones of pressure is what it can dish out.

Although each gate has an A-frame with two pistons on each side, only one side is used to power the gate up or down, the hydraulics on the other side idle while it does so. At the time of construction, the technology didn’t exist to synchronise the hydraulics on both sides and it was feared the gates might twist. The duplicated hydraulics also act as a back-up in the event of a failure of one side. There is also a third means by which the gates can be rotated in the event of both sets of hydraulics failing.

This is one of the bolts which retains the cover on the back of the cylinder. I reckon it’ll take an M75 (or thereabouts) Allen key. As well as  A Lot Of Wellie to undo it.

Each piston has it’s own 190hp electric motor to pump up the hydraulic oil to pressure.

Yes we did work in pound/feet per square inch, not that long ago

What’s in here, I wonder?

Porthole and navigation lights

Somewhat surprisingly, the construction of the top half of each of the piers is wooden (iroko from Africa for the beams, with boards of European pine) and then clad with thin sheets of stainless steel.

Lots of clunky switchgear everywhere.

Rust, as they say, never sleeps.

This is in 2m thick concrete, under the river. :o

In all a fascinating day out, with my thanks to Ed our informative guide from the Environment Agency, and to Barry Mason for arranging it all.

Re: A day under the river
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:24:45 pm »
Looks really interesting. Can't see them letting hordes of FNRttC-ers through there, somehow...!

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:31:51 pm »
No chance!
We had heck of a job getting past security - and our arrival was expected ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:34:05 pm »
Nice pics.  Well done.  It is nice when you gain access to an area that Joe Public cannot.

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:31:33 pm »
Jurek, have you seen the film 'Flood' from 2007? Now you should.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:39:10 pm »
Although each gate has an A-frame with two pistons on each side, only one side is used to power the gate up or down, the hydraulics on the other side idle while it does so. At the time of construction, the technology didn’t exist to synchronise the hydraulics on both sides and it was feared the gates might twist. The duplicated hydraulics also act as a back-up in the event of a failure of one side. There is also a third means by which the gates can be rotated in the event of both sets of hydraulics failing.

Which is?  A really big gear box and a big crank?

Come on, you can't tantalise us with a statement like that, and keep it a secret!

Inquiring minds need to know.

Interesting pictures, I wish I'd known about this visit a way back, so I could have put my hand up to go.  This sort of thing fascinates me. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2008, 05:15:53 pm »
Come on, you can't tantalise us with a statement like that, and keep it a secret!
As its you TimO, I know you won’t sleep tonight……..
This is quoted directly from the EA’s bumpf

“The dual purpose shift and latch mechanism can be used to hold a gate in position. It can move the gate into the underspill position or the maintenance position. As an extra safety measure it can also be used to move the gate into the normal defence position”

These are the best  (only) pics I have of the bits in question.
This pic is of the bit of the top of the gate when the gate is at BDC (gate open)…….

……..which in turn gets shifted and latched by this bit of gubbins, aka more hydraulics (to a novice like me)

In the event of a catastrophic power failure, there was no big ratchet wrench to be seen anywhere. However, there were many of these ‘Emergency Rescue’ tool stations at strategic points.

Looking at the contents (Crow bar, rope, bolt cutters, B.A. stretcher, etc) they look like the kind of tools you might need when Things Have Gone Quite Badly Wrong.  :o
Or you were going cycle-nicking. :D

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:00:04 pm »
The underground tunnel bit I would have found terrifying (bit claustrophobic me to say the least) and the ratchets, bolts and various other bits of mechanism, I have to admit, bemuse me somewhat,- but that beautiful iroko- WOW!  absolutely gorgeous.

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
That's an impressive array of emergency kit, a lot more useful than your usual small first aid kit and fire extinguishers. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »
WOW!  absolutely gorgeous.

*blush*

Why, I thank you Madam!  :-*

A good day out, Jurek! Fascinating stuff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:12:55 pm »
Back off there Wow! Back off!!!

That's an impressive array of emergency kit, a lot more useful than your usual small first aid kit and fire extinguishers. :thumbsup:

I've worked in all sorts of places - Oil refineries, Sellafield (the safe side) but I've never seen such well equipped emergency kit.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #11 on: 08 September, 2008, 01:39:03 pm »
Looks like a great trip Jurek - Barry mentioned that there was one ticket spare (due to soomeone dropping out) but I did not get round to it in the end. I think they filmed a bit of 'Spooks' in the Thames Barrier...

« Reply #12 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:22:19 pm »
Ahhhhh, that brings back memories.    I recall that as a child I went on that tour. 

« Reply #13 on: 09 September, 2008, 05:07:24 pm »
I'm not trying to be picky but isn't the horizontal wood pictured varnished pine? It has an open grain and lots of knots. Iroko has a close grain and looks like teak. The two uprights may well be iroko.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #14 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:04:16 pm »
I'm not trying to be picky but isn't the horizontal wood pictured varnished pine? It has an open grain and lots of knots. Iroko has a close grain and looks like teak. The two uprights may well be iroko.

Oops! Not picky at all.
I should read my notes more carefully, and you know your timber!
Laminated iroko for the beams, and European pine for the skin.
Corrections duly made.

« Reply #15 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:09:40 pm »

This man knows his wood !!

« Reply #16 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:23:02 pm »
they filmed a bit of 'Spooks' in the Thames Barrier...

... but the pics weren't anywhere near as good, by a long long way! Thanks Jurek!

« Reply #17 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »
There are a few more to be found here.

Please don't ask me to upload all 154 I took  :D

« Reply #18 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:35:57 pm »
Did they say why wood was used, Jurek, in the midst of all that metal?

Great pics  :)

« Reply #19 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:53:32 pm »
There's surprisingly little metal. All that stainless is a relatively thin skin.
What there is a lot of is concrete - 10,000 tonnes worth for each of the large gates - of which there are four, plus two smaller ones, plus the 'falling' gates.
There's enough there, that if you poured it onto Portugal, it'd sink.

OK, OK, I made that last bit up.

One reason cited for using wood in preference to steel is that it doesn't suffer catastrophic failure as steel can in the event of a fire.
With wood you don't get the 'One-minute-it's-here-next-minute-it's-gone' syndrome which steel suffers.
Wood, apparently, will creak and bow before final collapse - giving some indication to those around of it's imminent demise.
It is, again apparently, returning as the material of choice for pit props in Australian mines for the same reason.

The one thing that has struck me about this entire visit is that given that the barrier was conceived and constructed in times when we were much less litigious than we are today - the emphasis on safety of the individual is second to none as well as being practical (Big Tools For Getting You Out Of The Kak).

« Reply #20 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:09:41 pm »
Ta Jurek, interesting.

...in times when we were much less litigious than we are today - the emphasis on safety of the individual is second to none

As in, taking responsibility for your own safety?

« Reply #21 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:37:40 pm »
Ta Jurek, interesting.

...in times when we were much less litigious than we are today - the emphasis on safety of the individual is second to none

As in, taking responsibility for your own safety?

Not entirely sure....
it just struck me that there were many systems in place duplicated and triplicated to ensure the whole thing worked, as well as providing 'Get Out of Jail' cards for the people who operate them, in case Things Went Wrong - at a time when we were flinging astronauts to our nearest natural satellite, relying on computing power in the Command Module which is probably  surpassed by many of today's mobile phones, at the same time I remember using my schoolmate's astronomy telescope at his hillside home in South London, to observe construction workers on Tower 42 (Formerly Nat West Tower) wandering about the site with no shirts and no hard-hats - you just would not get that today.
In retrospect, they seem like reckless times.
But stuff got done.

Edit - and another thing....
It's not all concrete, fact-finders.
Each of the big (61m span) gates has more steel in it than the Eiffel Tower, as well as being coated with 40 tonnes of protective paint and having 20 tonnes of sacrificial anodes to distract the attention of corrosion. The gates are hollow and fill with water when the barrier is open and on the river-bed. They are drained of water when in the defensive position.

velocipede

« Reply #22 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:54:21 pm »
They even have Inergen gas delivery systems installed to use in case of an electrical fire to flood small areas like switch rooms, in addition to the massive sprinkler system. I thought that was quite impressive high tech safety stuff to help protect from possible fire. Would allow evacuation while the fire was suppressed without need for close up fire fighting?

Very clever I thought.

« Reply #23 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:55:53 pm »
Each of the big (61m span) gates has more steel in it than the Eiffel Tower...

The whole of the Eiffel tower only takes 40 tonnes of paint. It took 8000 tonnes of iron to build the whole thing.

So I reckon that says a lot for M. Eiffel.

« Reply #24 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:59:04 pm »
Each of the big (61m span) gates has more steel in it than the Eiffel Tower...

The whole of the Eiffel tower only takes 40 tonnes of paint. It took 8000 tonnes of iron to build the whole thing.

So I reckon that says a lot for M. Eiffel.

Meh!
Tinfoil.
 ;D