Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 1896 times)

Tree ID
« on: 17 May, 2019, 06:37:00 pm »
Hi all

Can anyone help identify this one? I have tried a couple of identifiers but cannot seem to find a good fit to leaf shape, leaf colour and bark all at the same time. Photos follow. There are non-native or decorative trees in the general area. Walnut? Some kind of ash?  Of note, it is even more yellow than the photos suggest. And its leaves appeared very late compared to its neighbours, 2 or 3 weeks later.

Re: Tree ID
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:44:14 pm »
Looks like Robinia pseudoacacia

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2019, 07:02:12 pm »
Yes, that possibility came up using one of the identifier apps but I didn’t think the bark matched. Having looked again it appears the bark changes a lot as the tree ages, and a few Googled photos show a similar bark.

Similarly, the lack of thorns on this tree put me off track, but I have now learned that older trees may not have spines.

So I think you have it! Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:23:19 pm »
Definately Robinia pseudoacacia. I grew one from seed and cut it down when it grew taller than the house!  :o

Mine had big, bastard thorns on it. The lighter yellow leaved Robinia Pseudoacacia Frisia tends to not have the viscious thorns, so it looks as if it could be that variety in your picture.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2019, 07:58:26 am »
I'd say it was Robinia. But Japanese Pagoda Tree is similar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styphnolobium_japonicum
Leaf shape can be misleading in identification, it's the flowers that matter, especially in a setting that looks like ornamentals have been planted.