Author Topic: PBP 2023 - Rulz  (Read 20087 times)

Re: PBP 2023 - Rulz
« Reply #25 on: 27 February, 2023, 06:11:06 am »
Headphones and mobile phones are Fernch traffic law things.
The use of mobile phones while riding is already banned for several editions.

« Reply #26 on: 28 February, 2023, 02:21:55 pm »
In-ear headphones are banned under French law.  Bone conducting ones are a grey area, though! 
Same for motorists. 

« Reply #27 on: 28 February, 2023, 09:12:25 pm »
In-ear headphones are banned under French law. ……………. Same for motorists.

I am 100% in favour of banning motorists too!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 07 March, 2023, 05:49:21 pm »
... one rule that I had not noticed before, probably because I don't do it anyway so I took no notice of it was that amongst the "penalties" is use of a mobile phone whilst riding. Doing so incurs an hour time penalty.

I know from 2015 and 2019 a lot of riders do it taking selfies etc whilst riding or taking pictures of the group they are riding with

Does that count as 'use of a mobile phone' though?
What about using the phone as a GPS on the bars?  Same thing surely.

You could run it in airplane mode while doing these things and then have fun arguing the finer points of the law in French ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #29 on: 10 March, 2023, 10:12:54 am »
I'd better take the penalty now then.  I use my mobile phone for step counting, a function it continues to do in my back pocket when cycling.   :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #30 on: 10 March, 2023, 10:14:00 am »
Actually, and I think more in the spirit of the rules - the one thing it is pretty hopeless at is being a phone.  it turns conversations randomly into Dalek - a tongue in which I have no formal training and find unintelligble.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #31 on: 13 March, 2023, 08:35:23 am »
Besides the opportunity to pre-register with no BRM last year on 25 March (Monday starts only, assumed), Article 6 has also been amended to state the entry fee (due no later than 10 June (NB change) or pre-registration will be lost/cancelled).

"Article 6: Payment
"The pre-registration fee is €50, non-refundable and deducted from the final registration fee.
"The registration fee is €190."

« Reply #32 on: 13 March, 2023, 11:28:13 am »
For reference - I believe that it was €145 in 2019.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #33 on: 16 March, 2023, 06:30:55 pm »
Bike check on Saturday?

There only appears to be a collection of numbers and registration. It looks like the bike check has been changed to just before your off.

Is this correct?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #34 on: 17 March, 2023, 08:30:50 am »
Bike check on Saturday?

There only appears to be a collection of numbers and registration. It looks like the bike check has been changed to just before your off.

Is this correct?

BB

there was a lot of talk some months back about no bike check this time, but threat of impromptu inspections along the course. Always seemed like a waste of time. What are they looking for? people who can't reassemble their bikes safely after transport?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #35 on: 17 March, 2023, 09:34:47 am »
Bike check on Saturday?

Is this correct?

BB

there was a lot of talk some months back about no bike check this time, but threat of impromptu inspections along the course. Always seemed like a waste of time. What are they looking for? people who can't reassemble their bikes safely after transport?

Having done bike check at a smaller 1200, I can confirm that there are always a few participants with improperly prepared bikes. Mostly issues with lighting and items not being fastened well enough to the bike. This is, of course, best checked just before the start, as every bike is loaded up.

« Reply #36 on: 17 March, 2023, 10:09:25 am »
For reference - I believe that it was €145 in 2019.

Just looked at my 2015 and 2019 paperwork, it was 135 euros 2019 and 115 euros 2015.

« Reply #37 on: 17 March, 2023, 10:47:55 am »
Bike check on Saturday?

Is this correct?

BB

Having done bike check at a smaller 1200, I can confirm that there are always a few participants with improperly prepared bikes. Mostly issues with lighting and items not being fastened well enough to the bike. This is, of course, best checked just before the start, as every bike is loaded up.

Looking through the PBP website, I see the following: -

"Departure control:
It takes place in Rambouillet, between 30 and 60 minutes before the time of each departure. For better fluidity, please do not show up earlier. Reflective lights and vests will be checked during this check.

Warning: Any uncontrolled logbook and chip not registered at departure will result in the non-homologation of the patent"

This may well be the bike check, but when the 90 hr groups are departing with groups of 300+ that all sounds rather manic as in theory, they would be having to process at least 300+ riders every 15 minutes whether they turn up 15 mins or 60 mins early as that would be encroaching on other groups start times.

Basically, its probably just a "Ride Past" with lights on and wearing or carrying reflective vests and then you just carry on to join your group and wait for the start.

« Reply #38 on: 17 March, 2023, 02:03:45 pm »
Bike check on Saturday?
Is this correct?
If that first phrase is a question, the answer is 'no'.
Just down into the shed and collect stuff: numbered stuff, frame plate with transponder, a gilet as part of the entry fee, and other clothing if ordered.
ACP will have workable plan for checking bikes(lights) and gilets as riders enter the pens, Queuing mega-early will not help. 20 every minute is doable provided they have about 5 funnels and sensible mentally agile persons (need 10 pers at least to allow shifts as this is non-stop for 6 hours) giving the green light with a 'bon courage'. In that heat wave, many riders will not be wearing their boil-in-the-bag PBP gilets till maybe wave P onwards, unless Japanese (ime): in J last time we rode maybe 60km till a 'side-of-the-road' water top up could be combined with pulling on the gilet. I expect the check will be approached in a Gallic manner - apply own stereotype to that ;)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 29 March, 2023, 02:11:57 am »

I've done the bike check for a couple of ultras, and you'd be amazed what some people turn up with. I failed one bike cos it had loose QR skewers. "But I like to ride loose" "tighten them, or you're not riding". Not to mention the number of people who didn't bring everything (helmet, lights, hivis) to the bike check, despite the instructions in the manual. Special shout-out to the guy who forgot to bring his bike... And the one who only brought one wheel...

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #40 on: 29 March, 2023, 12:16:11 pm »

I've done the bike check for a couple of ultras, and you'd be amazed what some people turn up with. I failed one bike cos it had loose QR skewers. "But I like to ride loose" "tighten them, or you're not riding". Not to mention the number of people who didn't bring everything (helmet, lights, hivis) to the bike check, despite the instructions in the manual. Special shout-out to the guy who forgot to bring his bike... And the one who only brought one wheel...
I guess this reinforces the merit of an 'immediately pre-start' bike check (much reduced logistic and check-in burden for both ACP and every rider).
The bike will be complete in all respects and if there are deficiencies, the rider's start will be delayed while remediated. This should be deterrent enough to the careless ones. And for PBP every rider has completed an SR in the months before August, one assumes their bike got them round.
Perhaps ACP can/should set up a stall near the start with EN-compliant gilets, lights and helmets for sale for those determined to test the system (well, no, not helmets).

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #41 on: 30 March, 2023, 09:55:13 am »

I failed one bike cos it had loose QR skewers. "But I like to ride loose" "tighten them, or you're not riding".

reminds me of the time I thought I needed to tighten the headset as there seemed to be some play, only to discover the thu-axle wasn't quite tight.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #42 on: 04 May, 2023, 01:23:03 pm »
Is this a new requirement?

Tracking/brevet: Electronic tracking as previous. Must get stamp in brevet at all controls (obv). Recommended to take a passport photo for brevet.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #43 on: 04 May, 2023, 01:45:10 pm »
I recall needing passport photos a few PBPs ago.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #44 on: 06 May, 2023, 10:20:10 pm »
Is this a new requirement?
"Tracking/brevet: Electronic tracking as previous. Must get stamp in brevet at all controls (obv). Recommended to take a passport photo for brevet."
Think I took one and stuck it in last time.
"Nous vous conseillons de coller une photo d’identité récente sur le carnet de route (format 35 x 25 mm)."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #45 on: 09 May, 2023, 07:24:31 am »
I must have missed that rule. I didn't take one, and nobody asked to see one.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #46 on: 26 May, 2023, 11:43:02 am »
Re bike check - am reading that orange wheel/side reflectors and a bell/horn are mandatory under French law - is that correct? If so, I'd probably take my chances with Les Gendarmes/Police Nationale, but do they form part of the bike check?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 26 May, 2023, 12:10:41 pm »
Re bike check - am reading that orange wheel/side reflectors and a bell/horn are mandatory under French law - is that correct? If so, I'd probably take my chances with Les Gendarmes/Police Nationale, but do they form part of the bike check?

They cost fuck all, they add very minimal weight. I'd just fit them.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #48 on: 26 May, 2023, 12:18:53 pm »
I suggest this mandate is approached in the traditional Gallic manner.
The bike check in 2019 in the marquee did not check either of those items (was just brakes and lights - seemed to me like 'make work' for keen old volunteer blokes to allow them to feel 'part of it').

ACP:"Bikes must be in compliance with French regulations. Bikes must possess a lighting system powerful enough to be seen at a distance of 100 m from the front and 150 m from the rear. It must be securely and permanently fixed on the bike, even during daytime, and in working order at any time. Flashing LEDs at the rear are forbidden.
"Start control: . . . from 30 to 60 minutes before . . . start. Lighting and reflective vests will be checked . .  "

Source: Legifrance Code de la Route - https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/texte_lc/LEGITEXT000006074228
Art. R.313-18. Every cycle must be equipped with one or more rear retro-reflectors.
Art. R.313-19. Every cycle must be equipped with orange reflectors visible laterally.
Art. R.313-20. The pedals of any cycle shall include retro-reflectors of the color orange. Every cycle must be equipped with a visible white reflector on the front.
Art. R.313-33. Every cycle must be equipped with a warning apparatus constituted by a bell whose sound may be heard at 50m at least.  Any other sound signal is prohibited.
They cost fuck all, they add very minimal weight. I'd just fit them.
We're riding to Brest and back, not round urban Paris. A rear reflector makes sense but normal road pedals don't have the reflectors incorporated: how do you propose you'd fit them J? And what are these laterally visible orange reflectors: reflectors fixed to spokes? Most of this is anti-aesthetically displeasing as well as a drag.
Bells are good through: the more sonorous the better, for enhancing the atmosphere and replying to the locals' 'bon courage'.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:13:33 pm »
I have ridden the last six PBPs and never had a check for reflectors or bell.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...