Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517673 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Mrs. B is getting rather adventurous with celeriac in the kitchen.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Today I popped into a Korean supermarket as I was passing and got a bar of 'red bean cake'. I like red beans, so I thought I'd like it, and I did. But I hadn't expected it to be sweet!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Stilton on dark rye bread with damson powidła (something between jam and stewed fruit) on top - delicious!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Stilton on dark rye bread with damson powidła (something between jam and stewed fruit) on top - delicious!
Yup! Real rye bread + strong/flavourful cheese + jam (my favourite is blackberry) is just NOM!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Julian

• samoture
My mum gave us some home made damson jam which coincidentally is my favourite with cheese.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
On Sunday in the first bit of baking I have done since another boring wet Sunday afternoon in 1987 (Fruit loaf) I made raisin flapjack. Its a little darkblack and crusty on top and crumbly round the edges, but home made and most nomish.

i just need to do some more cycling to justify eating it.

Thanks to Vorsprung for the recipe suggestion.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Cheese on toast is transformed if you add a bit of Gorgonzola to the Cheddar.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Vince

I've just been given a Smarties advent calendar.

A bit of catching up to do. :)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Ham: it shouldn't be green, should it?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

"Green eggs and ham" doesn't have parentheses so the green probably applies to both types comestible.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Google confirms this hypothesis but the expression on the face of the Prat In The Hat suggest that it is not a Good Thing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Our eggs go green when served with 'red' cabbage.
Trufax

Ham: it shouldn't be green, should it?

*checks*

I hope not.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Fish finger sandwich.  The perfect simple after pub snack?  Possibly, but I'm having to make do with burnt to charcoal on one side fish fingers. 
Bugger.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Festive disappointments so far:
The chocolate on McVitie's Victoria chocolate biscuits is too thin.
Sainsbury's delivered us an overripe mango yesterday which needed to be eaten that day. (#First World Problem really)
Mr Kipling's Christmas slices seem tiny but weigh 43 gams and contain 158 Calories. At least they are individually plastic wrapped to ease festive portion control.

I think a cheese and marmalade sandwich should hit the spot tonight.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Three day old roast goose stirred into Aldi pasta sauce and poured over fusilli, with cheddar over the top.

Absolutely disgusting, don't try it.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

I'm braving throwing the remaining turkey and ham into a hash with some potato, cabbage, and eggs. Usual works out fine. The cats will, I'm sure, help with anything that remains.

Slow cooking the turkey in a vat of white wine for eight hours was quite successful. No one died from salmonella and it was tasted pretty damn good.

This year my daughter said in addition to a whole peeled carrot + a whole peeled onion (halved) and two sticks of celery each cut in to 3 pieces we should add a halved  clementine (not peeled) to the ham as we boiled it (after boiling and resting tis put in the oven covered with home made marmalade.
       The halved clementine really, really made it the best ever ham we have had    ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Here is what to do if someone suggests a Ballantine Balotelli Ballotine for Christmas dinner: shoot them, and burn the body.  It's supposed to be a deboned goose stuffed with pork and various savoury Stuffs but someone1 seems to have made off with most of the goosey goodness, leaving a stuffing only slightly more flavoursome than Paxo.

1: Immigrunts, probably.  When they're not nicking Brenda's swans.

Here is what to do if someone suggests a Ballantine Balotelli Ballotine for Christmas dinner: shoot them, and burn the body. 
+ 1
Most disappointing Christmas dinner I've had since the last time we had turkey (the latter being beautifully cooked by my B-I-L, tender and moist, but totally lacking in flavour). Fortunately the year we had the Ballotine we'd got a goose at home (the exact arrangements for Christmas Day were a little late in being organised) so we shared that with my parents a few days later.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The only reason I decided we should eat turkey on Christmas Day was so we could eat loads of Trimmings and Puddings, which are more fun.

Years of Healthy Eating have reduced our appetites for Rich Foods.

Strange but I've never had a tasteless turkey or for that matter dry turkey,  from free range down to bog standard Sainsgreedy, admittedly my wife is an excellent cook but my sister is a fully trained chef and has often not been quite, well, right.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I was going to make tarte tatin, but I can't find the pan I must have made it in last time. The normal frying pan handle isn't ovenproof. No pudding for me, sob.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My wife used the leftovers to make turkey & ham pie. It is a triumph.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."