Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517691 times)

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1900 on: 21 September, 2016, 07:11:17 pm »
Fermented food? That's beer isn't it?
Hmmm, so why weren't they preaching the amazing health benefits of drinking beer? I will ask next month.

ian

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1901 on: 21 September, 2016, 07:15:01 pm »
If in doubt drink sour beer. It's been fermented twice so is double-good for you. Sometimes they put fruit in it. Seriously, it's like all you need. I'm on my way to immortality.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1902 on: 21 September, 2016, 07:19:33 pm »
Sometimes they put fruit in it.

Hmmm. I wonder how many Krieks you have to drink to get your five a day.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1903 on: 21 September, 2016, 07:20:07 pm »
Yeast dough and yoghurt are also fermented foods.
Wine is a fermented dink AIUI.
Man has fermented foods for eternity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1904 on: 21 September, 2016, 07:46:24 pm »
Yoghurt and other dairy prods were my immediate thoughts: kefir seems pretty highly fermented.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1905 on: 21 September, 2016, 09:29:06 pm »
Mondays workshop was mainly about producing our own jars of fermented veg(like Sauerkraut but not pasteurized like shop bought). It is very easy and if this can give the increase in gut health and overall health that is proclaimed then I will continue. It was suggested that manyl health problems can be linked to the gut biome.

citoyen

« Reply #1906 on: 21 September, 2016, 09:41:13 pm »
Word of warning if you're making sauerkraut: don't make it in a metal container. :facepalm:

On a more positive note, if you can make sauerkraut, you can make kimchi.  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1907 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:30:46 pm »
If you find yourself near Lake Of The Woods, Ontario, stay at the Brewers Inn in Keewatin.  Unlike every other place I've stayed in the whole of Leftpondia, the "in-room tea & coffee making facilities" come with proper coffee ground & roasted in the Broken Paddle next door.  Room's a nice change from the identikit bobbins from the major chains too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1908 on: 25 September, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »
The Albert Bartlett Rooster spuds supplied by Sainsbury's as a substitute for the unavailable generic white potatoes I ordered cost 108% more but were no nicer.

« Reply #1909 on: 25 September, 2016, 10:35:57 pm »
But at least you'll get a voucher for the difference in price, so you've found out at no extra cost ...

We quite like their Vivaldi taters.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1910 on: 26 September, 2016, 07:38:22 am »
MrsC and I were catering for a smallish do earlier in the year.
We're used to having to worry about vegetarian or omnivore, and I usually make sure there's something vegan as it's easier.
But this time we had: veggie, veggie dairy intolerant, meat eater dairy intolerant, no spices1, and wheat intolerant2.
That out of a total of around 30 people. At least the 'I can eat anything as long as it's not red' person didn't turn up.

Notes
1) He's aware it's probably not all spices but how he reacts is sufficiently unpleasant that he hasn't wanted to do any more research!
2) At least one of these admitted it wasn't 'proper' gluten intolerance but that she doesn't feel too good after eating wheat. She also makes very good cakes!

On the "no spices" thing, Mrs T has what is known as a Geographical Tongue (go on, Google it, you know you want to!).

Spicy food does bad things to her tongue.

It is very painful.

I have learnt to adapt recipes to suit, and now can make very tasty, non-spicy:
BBQ sauce (for ribs and pulled pork)
Curry
maybe some other stuffs I have forgotten...

I find catering quite easy, as most people will eat Paella (I have yet to meet someone who is rice intolerent).  I used to make two, but as the veggie one is the one that gets eaten the most I just make that now.  I am trainging TLD to make it so that I can concentrate on the BBQ side of things at these events.

Plus, apart from the dairy intolerent crowd, Squeeky Cheese is a crowd pleaser!

I'm rice intolerant, it causes uncontrollable blood sugar spikes which make me feel like crap both physically and mentally.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1911 on: 26 September, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »
Im on weight watchers and I so so miss pizza. I've just found a Mini Cheese and Tomato Pizza in The Cooperative which is only 8 points.  I've piled it up with veggies and really enjoyed it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1912 on: 30 September, 2016, 04:04:51 pm »
Meanwhile, in local news.

Our local Indian take-away.

20160930_151416
by Basil W, on Flickr

No.  We don't.  If I did want a take-away curry, I'd use the Chinese take-away.  Because:
It has a rating of 5
Its only a few doors away from my house.
It's also a pub.
 :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

lou boutin

« Reply #1913 on: 30 September, 2016, 06:23:11 pm »
I'm quite proud of myself; I iced and decorated a cake. I'm practicing to do my friend's wedding vow renewal cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1914 on: 30 September, 2016, 06:48:29 pm »
I made a cake today too. Followed Mrs Cudzo's semolina apple pie recipe, except it turned out to be the wrong one and I altered it anyway, but not in a good way. It came out a bit more like crumble than cake; actually, it's more like sand! But the appley bit is good.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1915 on: 30 September, 2016, 07:04:33 pm »
I made a cake this week for our Macmillan coffee morning bake off, and I won  :smug:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

« Reply #1916 on: 30 September, 2016, 07:38:54 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I'm current backing for a coffee morning tomorrow.  I have cooked a ginger tray bake and I have rocky road brownie in the oven.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Lindt have renamed their seasonal Gold Bear a Chocolate Teddy, which makes it *NEW* at Sainsbury's.

I am purchasing early as we missed out last year.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
A Facebook friend has just shared a photo of a display of Kinder Easter Eggs...

Cudzoziemiec

From this year or ready for next?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I presume ready for next but it's a close thing... Friend is posting from Ireland.

Cudzoziemiec

Oh, the Irish tradition of chocolate eggs in place of apple-bobbing at Halloween.

(No.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
A Facebook friend has just shared a photo of a display of Kinder Easter Eggs...

Useful things, Kinder Eggs, as a little reward. Kids like them and you don't have to think about getting some toy or other.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

Meanwhile, in local news.
Our local Indian take-away.

Based on my understanding of how the food hygiene rating system works (as explained to me by an inspector), I would steer clear of pretty much anywhere that scores less than 5.

A lot of the scoring is based on filling in the necessary forms etc, and I can imagine that there might be a language barrier for some Indian/Chinese restaurants run by non-natives, but there's no excuse for only scoring 1/5.

I was under the impression it was quite easy to get a 4 for essentially trivial reasons that had little to do with actual good safety - is that not the case?