Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517593 times)

Trying some good quality chorizo atm, & notice it doesn't contain nitrites etc as some of the regular chorizo (in whole sausage form) does...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Had some gyoza from MrsT's favourite organic shop at lunchtime, supposedly vegetable and ginger.  They weren't the proper shape, more like a dogfish egg-case, and they tasted weird - not a hint of ginger. Found out they contained fermented cabbage, which probably drowned out everything else. I don't mind kimchi when I'm expecting it, but... Bleh. :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I noticed today in the local (not very) super market that Mellow Birds instant coffee is still a thing.  ???
Why?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Mellow Bird's will make you smile.
That's why...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I noticed today in the local (not very) super market that Mellow Birds instant coffee is still a thing.  ???
Why?

Manufactured by Jacobs Douwe Egberts - cream crackers meet industrial coffee derivatives. What's not to luv?

Meanwhile, this unité has discovered that Gorgonzola and Marmite sandwiches are bloody marvellous.  The two flavours blend without either dominating - each seems to reinforce the other.  Made mine last light with Swedish flatbread. Going to be fighting MrsT for the last of Emile's sister this evening.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Why?

Manufactured by Jacobs Douwe Egberts - cream crackers meet industrial coffee derivatives. What's not to luv?

Meanwhile, this unité has discovered that Gorgonzola and Marmite sandwiches are bloody marvellous.  The two flavours blend without either dominating - each seems to reinforce the other.  Made mine last light with Swedish flatbread. Going to be fighting MrsT for the last of Emile's sister this evening.
Which of you does Emile's sister prefer?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Why?

Which of you does Emile's sister prefer?

<Stony silence>

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
What to do with some fine semolina? Was thinking of making it with butter and water then bake.

Any other ideas of what to do with it?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What to do with some fine semolina? Was thinking of making it with butter and water then bake.

I only ever use semolina for dusting the peel so my pizza doesn't stick. HTH!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4909 on: 06 September, 2023, 01:52:28 pm »
MrsT came home with some Aldi gyoza the other day.  Cooking instructions: fry on all sides for 10 minutes until golden brown.  :facepalm:

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4910 on: 08 September, 2023, 01:49:00 pm »
Just made about a gallon of tomato soup with 4kg of the Marmande I picked this morning. The rest are in a trug awaiting disposition. Probably be chopped and frozen for later use.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4911 on: 09 September, 2023, 11:57:43 pm »

I only ever use semolina for dusting the peel so my pizza doesn't stick. HTH!

Yeah, that is what I used it for and now have lots and wondering what I should do to use it up.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4912 on: 10 September, 2023, 06:13:18 pm »
Make more pizzas?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4913 on: 10 September, 2023, 06:29:38 pm »
I use polenta or semolina to add a crunchy texture to harissa roast tatties.
"Ottolenghi Simple" recipe "Harisa and confit garlic roast potatoes", P142.

(It can be further simplified by not bothering with confiting the garlic in the goose fat, and just using olive oil.
But if you have the time and inclination, the garlic goose fat certainly adds to it.)

If you don't have the book, then the further-simplified version is something like this:

Peel and chop tatties fairly small.
Par-boil: bring to boil, then 5-7 mins, till fork just starts to go in.
Don't over-do it, or they will disintegrate when you start manhandling them.
Drain and cool.

Large bowl: couple of tablespoons olive oil, 1 generous tsp Rose Harissa paste, mix it in.
Tatties in, mix by hand till fully coated.  Can add more oil if too dry.
Add polenta and salt, continue to mix.
(Don't add the semolina to the oil first; it turns into a cludgy mess - add it once the tatties are properly coated.)
Sprinkle more polenta, till the tatties are reasonably well coated and the mixture is starting to become a bit dry. Continue to mix.
Tip out onto baking tray.

Oven 200 for around 30 mins, check after 20.

« Reply #4914 on: 13 September, 2023, 06:57:48 pm »
Random thing of the day: my Kenwood Chef still works. The insulation-less BS1363 plug marks it out as being > 40 years old, I think '79.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4915 on: 13 September, 2023, 07:35:59 pm »
Random thing of the day: my Kenwood Chef still works. The insulation-less BS1363 plug marks it out as being > 40 years old, I think '79.
Look underneath for the number and this will tell you https://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-gb/faqs/How-old-is-my-Chef/a/9791
The one I liberated off my mum is an A901 from 1981.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4916 on: 13 September, 2023, 08:07:07 pm »
Oh gosh.

1976 A701A Chef

While it hasn't seen that much use over recent years (coming out only for large cake mixing tasks) it certainly did early, including industrial use when I had my little joust with ice cream making for a living.

« Reply #4917 on: 13 September, 2023, 09:12:57 pm »
We are still using an old Braun food mixer, looks like model 4260 (?) but I can't find anything on the web about it.

From our early marriage which could be 50 years ago.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4918 on: 13 September, 2023, 09:24:13 pm »
Had a most excellent piece of cod for dinner this evening here in Iceland, not my usual choice, but if they can't get it right here...
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4919 on: 13 September, 2023, 09:26:04 pm »

My old Kenwood Chef (RIP) would emit a strong smell of ozone and burning anbarics towards the end of it's life.
I was perfectly prepared to refurbish it, but that was rejected out of hand by upper manglement, and a new one was purchased.
I kind of wish I'd kept the old one and refurbished it anyway.
But I didn't.

« Reply #4920 on: 14 September, 2023, 08:04:02 am »
We are still using an old Braun food mixer, looks like model 4260 (?) but I can't find anything on the web about it.

From our early marriage which could be 50 years ago.

We've an older Braun food processer, although it's probably only 45 years old.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4921 on: 15 September, 2023, 03:26:56 pm »
Maybe because my overtaxed quads were chanting "protein! protein! protein!" after yesterday's efforts I had a great desire for entrecôte this lunchtime so we drove down to a restaurant where I had had a stellar one back in August.  Disappointed.  Excellent meat, nicely bleu inside but the outside was peely-wally and lacked the delicious flavour a good scorching can provide. Disappointed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4923 on: 18 September, 2023, 07:24:23 pm »
It's like déjà vu all over again!

« Reply #4924 on: 18 September, 2023, 07:56:41 pm »
Dijon Vu.
The same mustard as you had yesterday.