Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517707 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
;D

How old are you?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Co-op's Christmas Market Sandwich is The Meh.  >:(

When  working, I eat crisps with chopsticks.
Not only does this slow my consumption, it avoids greasy fingers.

Just hit a problem. A crisp too big to fit in my mouth. Had to stuff it in with chopsticks in stages, like a snake swallowing an egg.

So elegant, me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
When  working, I eat crisps with chopsticks.

This is genius.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

It's a pre-packed sandwich. What did you expect?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I see Manishewitz (USAnian Jewish delicacies) have brought out Gefilte Fish and Matzo Ball Soup flavoured ice creams.

I might well give these a miss...

It's one of their premium priced, hand assembled range.
I expected better.
Some of the other flavours are.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

It's one of their premium priced, hand assembled range.
I expected better.
Some of the other flavours are.

The Boy once had a slightly disappointing food stuff of some kind or another. He said he was "whelmed" by it. Neither over whelmed nor under whelmed. Just  whelmed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I think "hand assembled" is marketing guff. They're all hand assembled, mostly by Greencore. Bare hands, in fact.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
A small alert for those so inclined: Waitrose are currently selling a variety of Fuller's bottled ales at 3 bottles for £5. This includes the excellent bottle-conditioned 1845, and the ridiculous 8.5% "Golden Pride", which normally retails at £2.95 per bottle. I don't think Golden Pride is bottle conditioned but who cares when a single pint is pretty much your limit without risking a hangover.

They also had a bottle of The Singleton 12-yo whisky at £27, and one of my favourite Rhônes was also on special offer. Cheers!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Arising from my previous post, I drank a pint of Golden Pride yesterday evening. It's rather bland. I used to be quite a fan of London Pride, but in recent years I've gone off it in favour of other beers. Goldn Pride sort of reminds me of London Pride but with double the alcohol. 1845 is a much better beer.

My nearest branch of Waitrose didn't have Golden Pride, so I picked the last bottle of 1845 on the shelf, and made do with an ESB and a London Porter. #FirstWorldProblems
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I'm drinking Golden Pride again this evening and enjoying it rather more than I did two nights ago. I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that today is the first day for some time that I took a covid test and it was negative?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I decided to consult La Cloake for the perfect Bolognese, just out of interest.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/25/how-to-make-perfect-bolognese

Stupid question though, if you're just using mince and not some tough cut of meat, why does it actually need slow cooking for 3 hours?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/25/how-to-make-perfect-bolognese

Stupid question though, if you're just using mince and not some tough cut of meat, why does it actually need slow cooking for 3 hours?
Well, I use mince, but I do let it simmer on a very low heat for 2-3 hours in order to let the flavours mature.
Top tip.  I no longer use spaghetti. I prefer linguine.  The juices stick to it so much better.  :P
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Well I'm giving the pressure cooker a whirl anyway, though not using any liver.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Pressure cooker question:
My venerable Prestige Hi-Dome, of unknown provenance (it was either my parents, or bought 2nd hand, I cannae remember, it was a long time ago) - it leaks water out of one particular section of the lid/base interface while it's coming to pressure. I thought it might need a new gasket, but it still does it with the new gasket.
Although it's not yet blown up in my face, is this normal, or should I be binning it and getting a new one?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

Depends what variety of mince you use, perhaps? I'd say those cheap, tough cuts - with lots of fat and sinew - are exactly what you need for something like spag bol/ragu, where long, slow cooking allows the sauce to reduce and the flavours to combine and develop. Save the premium lean steak mince for making burgers.

Felicity Cloake doesn't go into this in much detail but she does mention that Marcella Hazan recommends chuck, which sounds perfect to me.

I love the idea of adding chicken livers. I'll have to try that next time I make spag bol.

My wife did a Tom Kerridge recipe a while ago which involved roasting the mince. A lot of faff but I have to admit it was very good indeed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I think I prefer the way I normally make it, with peppers and mushrooms. Not true Bolognese but who cares.

ian

Yes, to bring the sauce together rather than cook the meat. You can do it in 40 minutes but it’s not nearly as tasty. Slow cooker works fine.

Chicken livers do make it richer and milk is essential. Pancetta is also good but I don’t eat pig so that’s a no no.

Pressure cooker question:
My venerable Prestige Hi-Dome, of unknown provenance (it was either my parents, or bought 2nd hand, I cannae remember, it was a long time ago) - it leaks water out of one particular section of the lid/base interface while it's coming to pressure. I thought it might need a new gasket, but it still does it with the new gasket.
Although it's not yet blown up in my face, is this normal, or should I be binning it and getting a new one?

To coin a phrase “they all do that guv”. If you bring the liquid to the boil then put the lid on it minimises the leakage I find.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/future-uncertain-historic-liverpool-cake-28195887

Shortage of marzipan & icing on the horizon.    That factory is just around the corner from my flat.  I can usually hear the place.   :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Marzipan is really easy to make (assuming we don't get a shortage of almonds next).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."