Author Topic: ACME Arrow 2022  (Read 8227 times)

Re: ACME Arrow 2022
« Reply #50 on: 29 January, 2022, 09:08:50 pm »
Quite fancy this but I am sloooooooooowwwwwww :thumbsup:
A lot of the "skill" is group riding in the dark whilst tired/knackered, sitting on someones wheel saves a massive amount of energy but it must be safe for the whole group and there are tactics of road positioning in the dark to light up the road for the whole group. Everyone goes through a grumpy phase on a long ride, don't take it personally!

MEMWNS rides can give a bit of practise at the night riding skills, sit back and watch the experts, everyone has their own preferences/style, see what suits you. Try to avoid sitting with your front light blinding a rider in front that has a mirror to keep a friendly eye on you to avoid splitting the group.

I've ridden in the dark a lot and I'm quite happy riding through the night having done this a few times. That said, I usually ride solo and the only all nighter I've ever done in a group was Hereward The Wake. It went okay with no issues so that was good but I am definitely no expert at riding in groups (day or night). I don't care if people get grumpy, I'll happily just shut up and ride.

I don't mind doing my time at the front but I always worry that I'll be riding slower than people want, I also don't know when I should get on the front so I'd rather people just tell me when they want a rest. Like I say, I've always ridden alone, so no experience here.

« Reply #51 on: 29 January, 2022, 09:09:23 pm »
Yeah and keep mindful of the shadow effect of your lights casting a shadow causing a problem for front riders. If you're not careful it can end up with a lights arms race! Lol
:thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: 31 January, 2022, 09:26:03 am »
Booked on the 12:02 - not many cheap tickets from York left folks!

« Reply #53 on: 31 January, 2022, 09:53:20 am »
Anvils are booked on the 14.05 which links better with our trip from Peterborough across the wilds of East Anglia.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #54 on: 31 January, 2022, 02:55:09 pm »
I'm on the 12.02 as well as far as Stevenage  :thumbsup:

« Reply #55 on: 01 February, 2022, 08:53:14 pm »
Booked on the 12:02 - not many cheap tickets from York left folks!

According to LNER I just got the last cheap ticket on the 12:02 woohooo....and you can reserve your bike on the website as well, so much better than Greater Anglia and their Anti bike stance!

« Reply #56 on: 07 March, 2022, 02:14:08 pm »
The third ACME team is taking shape. Still in need of a name. I think we were ACME Dynamo last time.

I've put a route together which totals 407km, with a 401km min walking distance. That's about 20km less than my previous routes to York, which has quite predictably made the stop time feel quite leisurely (assuming we don't go for the highest distance by adding an extra loop on at the end). Avoids main roads and high bridges!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #57 on: 07 March, 2022, 03:21:28 pm »
The third ACME team is taking shape. Still in need of a name. I think we were ACME Dynamo last time.

I've put a route together which totals 407km, with a 401km min walking distance. That's about 20km less than my previous routes to York, which has quite predictably made the stop time feel quite leisurely (assuming we don't go for the highest distance by adding an extra loop on at the end). Avoids main roads and high bridges!

Does it avoid hills?

« Reply #58 on: 07 March, 2022, 04:15:29 pm »
Does it avoid hills?

2000m in total.

Sounds like you're itching to join?

BTW ... my typo previously, team name was ACME Dynamite ... I think we should stick with that.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #59 on: 07 March, 2022, 04:19:23 pm »
How disappointed am I but I'm afraid I shall be spending Easter in Bristol with the Current Mrs R so can't take part in the Arrow  :'(

We have rented an Airbnb which is essentially a posh garden shed in someone's back garden  ;D

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #60 on: 07 March, 2022, 04:24:45 pm »
We have rented an Airbnb which is essentially a posh garden shed in someone's back garden  ;D

Sounds like luxury compared to the caravan…

No Easter steam up this year, so a potential last minute addition to a team if I can get my new manager straightened out by then.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #61 on: 07 March, 2022, 04:34:39 pm »
No Easter steam up this year, so a potential last minute addition to a team if I can get my new manager straightened out by then.

When will you know? I was looking to finalise details this week, but I could wait an extra week if you need more time.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #62 on: 07 March, 2022, 04:41:39 pm »

Sounds like luxury compared to the caravan…

Oi cheeky git  ;D Our caravan is very luxurious! But who doesn't love a shed?

felstedrider

« Reply #63 on: 07 March, 2022, 05:06:33 pm »
I can't remember where I got to on this and whether I had been put on any lists.   I've not seen anything so I assume not.

Just in case, though, I have changed my Easter plans a bit so won't be able to ride this year.

« Reply #64 on: 07 March, 2022, 05:24:40 pm »
I can't remember where I got to on this and whether I had been put on any lists.   I've not seen anything so I assume not.

Just in case, though, I have changed my Easter plans a bit so won't be able to ride this year.

We were going to be in the same team, but you had previously mentioned that you were unlikely to be able to make it. There is a space with your name on it if you were available, but it looks like that is not the case, and josser may be jumping in to claim either the 4th or 5th place in ACME Dynamite.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #65 on: 07 March, 2022, 06:03:22 pm »

We were going to be in the same team, but you had previously mentioned that you were unlikely to be able to make it. There is a space with your name on it if you were available, but it looks like that is not the case, and josser may be jumping in to claim either the 4th or 5th place in ACME Dynamite.

Looks like it's all going a bit Spursy, but where are you starting from?

« Reply #66 on: 07 March, 2022, 07:21:04 pm »
Looks like it's all going a bit Spursy, but where are you starting from?

From the central point for those who comprise the mid-Essex west massif. None other than Bishop’s Stortford.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #67 on: 07 March, 2022, 09:09:19 pm »
What time are you setting off?
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #68 on: 08 March, 2022, 06:13:47 am »
What time are you setting off?

I’d propose 8am to get most out of daylight riding, without being too early for people to get to the start. Also gives plenty of time for breakfast at the finish before people head for trains.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #69 on: 08 March, 2022, 08:41:59 am »
I might be able to get a train down to Cambridge at 8:30, get picked up and only miss one day potentially. Not sure I can abandon the team though. But might be able to find cover.

« Reply #70 on: 08 March, 2022, 10:43:10 am »
I might be able to get a train down to Cambridge at 8:30, get picked up and only miss one day potentially. Not sure I can abandon the team though. But might be able to find cover.

Hopefully you'll be ok. It's a fixed / singlespeed friendly route.

Confirmed riders for the third ACME team are myself, Toby's Dad, Bernster and Not Nick's Nick.

« Reply #71 on: 08 March, 2022, 01:24:09 pm »
Don’t know if you are going Snaith - Selby Way but the cycle way between the two has a lovely new surface.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #72 on: 08 March, 2022, 03:48:08 pm »

Confirmed riders for the third ACME team are myself, Toby's Dad, Bernster and Not Nick's Nick.

Sounds like a killer team

« Reply #73 on: 08 March, 2022, 05:01:55 pm »

Sounds like a killer team

Would be, if only we had the services of The Strangler

Oscar's dad

« Reply #74 on: 08 March, 2022, 05:03:41 pm »
I think we have a poor selection of killers!