Linked Events

• York Rally: 17 June, 2022 - 19 June, 2022

Author Topic: York Rally 2022  (Read 10828 times)

Re: York Rally 2022
« Reply #50 on: 05 June, 2022, 10:03:21 pm »
Various problems, mainly Health related, make York a no-go for me, Again, this year.
i do have the Email receipt/booking confirmation. If anybody is looking for such, I can pass it to them. I assume a note to the Organisers, giving my details and  Name/email for the taker would be enough to keep it going.

Oh sorry to hear that PD. I hope we can see you soon xx
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #51 on: 09 June, 2022, 11:26:59 am »
I'm not going to get there, certain now. Anybody want my pitch?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 09 June, 2022, 12:13:08 pm »
I'm wondering what security is like at the campsite. Is there anything solid to lock bikes to? I'm tempted bring the GBFO Abus Granit, except I really really really don't want to ride 200-odd miles there, and back again, carrying it, so will probably make do with the stout cable.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 09 June, 2022, 12:27:52 pm »
I'm wondering what security is like at the campsite. Is there anything solid to lock bikes to? I'm tempted bring the GBFO Abus Granit, except I really really really don't want to ride 200-odd miles there, and back again, carrying it, so will probably make do with the stout cable.

The usual arrangement is strategically placed temporary crowd control barriers around the camping area to lock bikes to.  This is backed up by private security guards roaming the site.

In practice, there's normally people (indeed, cyclists) around, so the main security concern is the whole lot tipping over in the wind.  A sensible opportunist thief would target the toilet area or the exhibition areas, where people regularly leave bikes unsecured for short periods.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 09 June, 2022, 12:30:19 pm »
It's all the cyclists that make it a thief-magnet! I actually know someone who had his bike stolen there, not sure what year; he is notably paranoid about on-site bike security now, using a GBFO U-lock at eg Watlington. Anyway, good to know there's some solid lockable-things.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #55 on: 09 June, 2022, 01:00:20 pm »
I do not have much faith in the Security people as the last time there several bikes were stolen, despite 'security guards' patrolling the site. I would lash your bikes together.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #56 on: 09 June, 2022, 01:30:04 pm »
Hoping to be there, albeit in the 'car camping' section.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #57 on: 13 June, 2022, 01:31:05 pm »
Well, I have set off and am now having lunch at Chesham. I had to pick up some pills from the chemist this morning so didn't get started till 10.00am. The tricon gr has picked
up a creak which I think maybe the seat mesh 🤔. I have been oiling seat quick releases but no real improvement  :(
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 13 June, 2022, 07:46:42 pm »
I've just received the update confirming that the bridge should be open in time for the rally, and that a BEER emergency has been averted  :thumbsup:

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #59 on: 13 June, 2022, 07:55:55 pm »
I've just received the update confirming that the bridge should be open in time for the rally, and that a BEER emergency has been averted 

Beaten to it!

The text regarding the closure/lack of closure for those not on the mailing list/unable to access email on the road is:

Dear fellow cyclist,
Just a very quick email to inform you that we have now had it confirmed by Sustrans that the converted railway path south of York, National Cycle Network (NCN) Route 65 a.k.a. the Solar System Greenway, will be open during the Rally weekend.
The path has been undergoing maintenance on and around the “Fisher of Dreams” former swing bridge between Bishopthorpe and Naburn.
This section will be open for the Rally weekend but please be aware that minor works will be ongoing and take extra care in this area – there may be heavy machinery including a three tonne excavator at work.
But now that the path is confirmed as open, there is no need for any diversion, a huge relief as the possible closure could have disrupted many of our rides. Please ignore any references to a diversion in the show programme, which went to print before this could be confirmed.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #60 on: 13 June, 2022, 08:58:33 pm »
Thanks, that's usually my route in. Did look for alternatives earlier too.

« Reply #61 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:18:25 pm »
Bivving in a field just north of Hanslope 4 miles north of m Keynes. Good to hear that the planets cycleway is open 😀

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #62 on: 16 June, 2022, 12:42:36 pm »
I took the slightly longer route to work this morning (extra 6km,nothing major!) and took in the dubious delights of Naburn Swing Bridge and the cycle path alongside the B1222. (Yes, the sewerage farm still stinks, sorry! )

The swing bridge is fully open, along with the route to the Knavesmire. I had to turn off for work just south of the bridge, so can't report on the open/closed situation any further south, but a bloke on a bike headed that way just after I turned off and none of the workmen down there shouted or anything, so it must be open!

As far as changes go, to the south of the bridge has had the tree roots removed and fresh tarmac laid. The "ski jump" up to the bridge from the south is now removed and a nice transition is in its place. Smooooooth!!
To the north, there's no change as far as Bishopthorpe, but most of that was relaid relatively recently (for Sustrans, that means within the last 20 years! )

I don't have any pictures at the moment, I shall post them when I get home and can get them off the bike camera.

It's a good thing that the diversion along the B1222 is no longer required, the plants on either side are now so dense that it is a struggle to get a DF bike through in places - you'd have no chance with a trike, upwrong or recumbent!

Hope to see some of you on Saturday!

Edit:

Photos of the new tarmac at the Naburn Swing Bridge approach...

Looking North at the new tarmac transition onto the bridge:

Looking South at the new transition on/off the bridge:

Looking South at the new tree root free tarmac:

Looking South at the point where the path to Fulford & the Designer Outlet peels off. The workmen just ahead are carrying out some work, but access is available through the works:
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #63 on: 16 June, 2022, 06:30:09 pm »
I have arrived in York and used the planets cycleway and it's open all the way. I  am  expecting to bivvy along it somewhere tonight 🙂

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:17:15 pm »
Today, in between dying of allergies and wrangling BHPC race entries, I have been mostly packing.  I forgot how much I hate car camping.  You bring the kitchen sink and still forget something important...

I figure that as long as we've got a tent, sleeping mats, bags, the BHPC Babbage-Engine and copious amounts of  a) morphine  b) steriods  and c) antihistamines, we'll probably be okay.  Bonus points for pride flags and things that have wheels.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #65 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:19:26 pm »
I shall aim to arrive tomorrow afternoon with my tent, but am resorting to:
  • infernal combustion and not trains because the world is still all plaguey; and
  • folding bike and not torpedo because, quite honestly, it's less faff.
I have packed suntan cream to ensure the continuation of my almost unbroken record of it raining when I am on holiday.  However, I have cleverly also packed Goretex to confound the weather.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #66 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:52:09 pm »
We are mostly packed. We (after some drama because that is different and we don't like change) are packed for cycle camping but assuming I can get the car back from the garage tomorrow, we'll actually be in the car. I'm very excited. The rest of my party are mostly anxious.

« Reply #67 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:29:29 am »
I have rescued Ted from the garage, so the anxiety levels have dropped considerably. We are still packing for cycle camping in case anyone needs to abandon.

See you all later!

« Reply #68 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:34:40 am »
I second Kim's comments about the kitchen sink. It feels like moving house, but no doubt something will be forgotten.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:56:46 am »
Nahh, moving house means you have to spend ages cleaning dust off things and herding cables.  Oh, wait...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #70 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:57:40 am »
Personally, I highly recommend the strategy of purchasing one's home a mere 2 miles from the rally site, a decade or two before you even discover that the rally is a thing, to avoid the trauma :D

Kim - don't forget your trousers!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 17 June, 2022, 11:01:16 am »
Kim - don't forget your trousers!

That's what happens when you go by bike.  The motorised version is forgetting your bike shoes.

I've put the roadie shoes (and magic foam hats) in the tailbox of the Baron, to avoid that problem.  Unfortunately, the SPDs will be required for Bromptoning to collect the van, so there's always the possibility of changing into something more driving-friendly and leaving those behind.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #72 on: 17 June, 2022, 11:16:02 am »
I'll be driving up after work so hoping to get there some time between 7.00 and 8.00 pm.   :thumbsup:

I'll be the gold (Milano Beige really) BMW with the neon green Kalkhoff on the back...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #73 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:08:57 pm »
Driving there this afternoon, in our blue and white T4 campervan.  We used to have a CTC section in Sunderland which wound down about 15 years ago but quite a few of the former regulars are going so should be a nice reunion.  And the 'retro' ride on Saturday on my 1964 Moulton f-frame. 
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #74 on: 17 June, 2022, 02:03:33 pm »
I’m at the racecourse with Cycleman.  Coffee has been ordered.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark