Author Topic: May meandering.  (Read 4224 times)

Re: May meandering.
« Reply #25 on: 15 May, 2022, 09:39:13 pm »
Saturday.  Away from the campsite late & onto the coast road to Wells next the Sea. A busy little place. I had plaice & chips, which was nice, but I didn’t feel very energetic afterwards.

Along the coast to Stiffkey, where I took a picture of the Red Lion pub sign. Onwards through more seaside villages such as Cley. Lots of art galleries, artisan food shops aimed at the monied tourists from London & Essex I guess.

Got to busy Sheringham and stocked up on meths at Mr Fifty & foodstuffs at Sainsbos. 

There is a C&CC site called Runton. To get to it you have to climb a long steep road, then descend a long , steep dirt track.  Lovely location, but they made a mess of my bill & the gents wash block needs a bit of work. Loads of stuff out of order. 

I went to sleep & woke up just after 5.  I checked Twitter & found NSTN tweeting from a bivvy bag on the South Downs. We commiserated about noisy bird life.

Away from that site & onto the coast road again, sharing the road with a marathon which caused its own traffic chaos.  Cool & overcast for most of the day. I turned inland at Walcott, went through Stalham and am now at a site near Potter Heigham.  Next to the road & noisy.

Repps with Bastwick was the campsite.  https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2339     £10 for the night.  Adequate facilities, but the shower was the worst of the trip, a trickle of water.  Owners friendly & chatty.   It's right next to the A149 so bring earplugs.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #26 on: 15 May, 2022, 10:43:48 pm »
Last time we stayed at West Runton, several years ago, half the facilities were also out of order. Shame, it's a lovely site. C'mon C and CC get your act together. I remember that a couple of clearly experienced female walkers were faster than me riding out of the site fully loaded, and were quite amused as they passed me by, probably due to the huffing, puffing and sweary noises, the access road is a bit steep.I did enjoy the stay and would go again. Cromer is a short walk along the coastal path.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #27 on: 16 May, 2022, 06:47:25 am »
Saturday.  Away from the campsite late & onto the coast road to Wells next the Sea. A busy little place. I had plaice & chips, which was nice, but I didn’t feel very energetic afterwards.

Along the coast to Stiffkey, where I took a picture of the Red Lion pub sign. Onwards through more seaside villages such as Cley. Lots of art galleries, artisan food shops aimed at the monied tourists from London & Essex I guess.

Got to busy Sheringham and stocked up on meths at Mr Fifty & foodstuffs at Sainsbos. 

There is a C&CC site called Runton. To get to it you have to climb a long steep road, then descend a long , steep dirt track.  Lovely location, but they made a mess of my bill & the gents wash block needs a bit of work. Loads of stuff out of order. 

I went to sleep & woke up just after 5.  I checked Twitter & found NSTN tweeting from a bivvy bag on the South Downs. We commiserated about noisy bird life.

Away from that site & onto the coast road again, sharing the road with a marathon which caused its own traffic chaos.  Cool & overcast for most of the day. I turned inland at Walcott, went through Stalham and am now at a site near Potter Heigham.  Next to the road & noisy.

Got any photos fella?  Sounds like you're having a smashing time.  It is lovely up there.

« Reply #28 on: 16 May, 2022, 07:12:58 am »
Quite a few on my Twitter stream @andrewxclark

Oscar's dad

« Reply #29 on: 16 May, 2022, 07:48:17 am »
Quite a few on my Twitter stream @andrewxclark

Gotcha!  Another Trangia user, good effort!

« Reply #30 on: 16 May, 2022, 10:39:08 pm »
A late start to avoid the morning traffic. Down to Acle and then quiet roads to the chain ferry across the Yare at Reedham. £1 for a cyclist.  More quiet roads to Thurlton where I ate snacks & drank a bottle of beer on a very uncomfortable bench. Probably designed to keep people like me away.

Down to Beccles, I had to use the A146 for a bit which was grim. A quick shop, then I walked out to the A145 London road.  This wasn’t too bad so I followed it to Blythburgh and from there to Southwold.  Currently listening to the waves while drinking a bottle of Adnams.

I want to be back in Cambridge for Thursday night so will have to sort out a route.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 16 May, 2022, 11:08:22 pm »
Is N. Essex too far out of your way? I'm planning a one-nighter here https://www.thehareandhound.co.uk/ on Wednesday. I'm also planning an early departure for home as it's my sister's 70th and there's a pub lunch in the offing for Thursday. It's about 80k to Cambridge from there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #32 on: 17 May, 2022, 08:58:31 am »
Hi Peter, yes I’d seen that & given it some thought, but decided against pushing down that far.  Colchester to Cambridge on a loaded bike, with a hangover !

I might try & get to Cambridge by Wednesday instead, treat myself to a day of wandering around & a visit to the Fitzwilliam museum.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 17 May, 2022, 09:02:16 am »
It’s looking as though I’m not doing my overnighter anyway. It’s my sister’s 70th and yesterday our brother phoned to see how I was fixed for a pub lunch on Thursday. I hate cycling to a deadline so I’m going to postpone my camping trip.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #34 on: 17 May, 2022, 10:29:11 am »

Last nights campsite is run by Southwold Council. They wanted £32.50 for my little tent.  The chap agreed it was extortionate & charged me £15.

http://www.southwoldcamping.com      https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=2368

For what I eventually paid the facilities were adequate.  Toilets & showers  in different rooms of the same buildings.   The listed prices are outrageous , because of this I'd not recommend it.

Just bought artisan quiche & scotch egg for lunch.

« Reply #35 on: 17 May, 2022, 10:56:00 am »
Last time we stayed at West Runton, several years ago, half the facilities were also out of order. Shame, it's a lovely site. C'mon C and CC get your act together.

I looked at the website. Plenty complaining of the broken locks etc., but still giving it 5 stars. It'd get 3 from me, and that's being generous.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #36 on: 17 May, 2022, 06:35:14 pm »
A beautiful day for cycling, but I didn’t get very far.  I left Southwold at 9:30 and picked up the B1123 which took me to Harleston by 3:30.  Nice quiet roads & little villages, but I’m not sure it’s the best way to get to Cambridge!  I sat on a bench looking at a map for about 30 minutes, but my route planning mojo seemed to have vanished. In the end I gave up & rode to a little site at Weybread which is rather nice.

Campsite was £15.  https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=9752

In an orchard, near a pond so lots of insect life & pollen.  Basic facilities, 1 shower, 2 toilets & 2 urinals in the gents,  I didn't check the ladies...  external sink for dishes.  Cold water only.  Lovely spot & friendly owners, the husband likes to ride round on his e-bike chatting to guests.

I suspect that tomorrow I may just plot a route to Thetford & get a train to Cambridge from there.

« Reply #37 on: 21 May, 2022, 10:40:52 pm »
As I thought, I was lazy & cheated.  Quiet roads & cyclepaths to cross the A142, then via Dickleburgh, Burston, Winfarthing to Banham then via the Harlings & Bretteham to Thetford.   At the station I refrained from shoving some LOUD & ANNOYING teenage girls under a convenient train, then got my own connection to Cambridge from where I returned to the C&CC site at Great Shelford.

A day wandering around Cambridge, the Fitzwilliam Museum and the (bloody marvellous) Botanic Gardens. https://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk

« Reply #38 on: 24 May, 2022, 03:13:53 pm »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #39 on: 24 May, 2022, 03:27:08 pm »
447 photos now uploaded to Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72177720299206781

Just had a quick flick through the first few.  Good to see old skool panniers, none of this bikepacking malarkey.  And a Trangia being used to cook proper food, not a JetBoil and freeze dried stuff.  Good effort chap  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #40 on: 01 June, 2022, 06:47:36 am »
As I thought, I was lazy & cheated.  Quiet roads & cyclepaths to cross the A142, then via Dickleburgh, Burston, Winfarthing to Banham then via the Harlings & Bretteham to Thetford.   At the station I refrained from shoving some LOUD & ANNOYING teenage girls under a convenient train, then got my own connection to Cambridge from where I returned to the C&CC site at Great Shelford.

A day wandering around Cambridge, the Fitzwilliam Museum and the (bloody marvellous) Botanic Gardens. https://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk

I love Cambridge botanic Gardens, nice and easily accessible by train as well, and a very cheap day out with my son.

You should have mentioned you were coming this way, you passed within a couple of miles me and wobbly John at one point, and camped just down the road. I'd have let you use my front lawn for free
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #41 on: 01 June, 2022, 08:35:21 pm »
Why aren't campsite fees proportionate ?
I pay £20 on average for campervan + awning with my wife +/- pet with electric hook-up.

Often see solo cyclist with tiny tent ( like yourself I assume) squeezed in to any old spot left
(and I hear campsites rarely turn away knackered solo walkers/cyclists...)

I assumed you'd be paying £10

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 01 June, 2022, 08:53:00 pm »

Different pricing models, I suppose.  If you price per pitch, it means you have a good idea how occupied your site's going to be.  If you price per person, it's closer to the amount of fuel and cleaning you have to pay for.  And so on.

I suppose you can skew things in favour of Old People In Caravans in order to have an easy life in terms of wash-block maintenance and dealing with antisocial behaviour, or in a way that's more attractive to Young People On An Adventure if you don't want to worry about the issues of making the whole site accessible to large motor vehicles.  Charging lots for children is a good way to make families go Somewhere Else.  How suitable your pitches are for tent camping in the off-season probably factors into that calculation, too.

Token-operated showers are my personal bugbear.  I'll happily pay much higher site fees if it means I don't have to grope around with a face full of shampoo.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #43 on: 02 June, 2022, 01:12:08 pm »

Different pricing models, I suppose.  If you price per pitch, it means you have a good idea how occupied your site's going to be.  If you price per person, it's closer to the amount of fuel and cleaning you have to pay for.  And so on.

I suppose you can skew things in favour of Old People In Caravans in order to have an easy life in terms of wash-block maintenance and dealing with antisocial behaviour, or in a way that's more attractive to Young People On An Adventure if you don't want to worry about the issues of making the whole site accessible to large motor vehicles.  Charging lots for children is a good way to make families go Somewhere Else.  How suitable your pitches are for tent camping in the off-season probably factors into that calculation, too.

Token-operated showers are my personal bugbear.  I'll happily pay much higher site fees if it means I don't have to grope around with a face full of shampoo.

True.

If a campsite only has a finite number of pitches, which most do, you’re going to want the same return per pitch / night irrespective of who’s on it be they an enormous rig or one person on a bike. But if a site has spaces which are too small to be a family tent / caravan pitch but big enough for tiny tents then as a site owner you’d be happy to charge less.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #44 on: 02 June, 2022, 05:51:56 pm »
When I start my campsite, the caravan will be relegated to the swampy bit with the mossies, the cyclists with tiny tents will have pride of place
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 03 June, 2022, 07:05:24 pm »

A novel one I came across on Luxembourg campsites is that you get given a RFID dongle type thingy that's a sort of trapezoid shape. This is needed to get into the toilet block, and then again to use a shower. There's a countdown on the shower, and then you have to take it out and put it back in the slot thingy.

This is a problem if you are sharing a pitch, cos only one of you can shower at once, or pee at once... and you need to make sure the person you're camping with hasn't left it in their pocket and gone to sleep...

and it's really stupid. I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve with it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #46 on: 04 June, 2022, 12:17:33 pm »
There's a great description in one of Josie Dew's books where she's trying to give herself and her two small kids a shower in a coin-operated shower. The kids are reluctant to shower, one of them escapes and she, stark naked and covered in shampoo, ends up chasing him across the campsite.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.