Author Topic: Hereward the Wake 300km 21:00 15/07/2022  (Read 1788 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Hereward the Wake 300km 21:00 15/07/2022
« on: 21 June, 2022, 07:41:40 pm »
I'm getting organised for Hereward a bit earlier than usual, as I'll be away on LEJOG 1400km (plus a bit of touring) from 2-10 July and won't be back until a few days before. If anyone would like to do a 'Helpers' Ride' to check the route a week in advance, that would be great, as it hasn't been ridden for a year. The event has, as many will know, something of a 'pub quiz' collection of info controls, which I hope are all still there! (Remember the disappearing pub!)

I'll send out the provisional info & route to riders next week and update during the week before the ride.

If any are moved to volunteer their services at the finish, that would be great - normally from about 10:00 to 17:00 on the following day (Saturday 16th July). As it's a smaller scale event, managing the car parking isn't really necessary, and the start is do-able as a solo effort by myself, just drinks available, grab a brevet, fill bidons if required and go.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Hereward the Wake 300km 21:00 15/07/2022
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2022, 08:15:41 pm »
Wilkyboy has now updated tomsk.co.uk with the gps tracks. :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2022, 02:24:40 pm »
Good luck on the LEJOG, looks like it will be pretty epic.

I am down for Hereward with a clubmate. We are getting the train to Chelmsford which should arrive at 8.20pm, so it may be that we don't get to Dunmow until about 9.15pm.

Is there any provision for late arrivals, such as picking up the Brevet cards from pre-arranged location if nobody else is about?

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2022, 07:14:56 pm »
I’ve ridden all the roads (on your event route) between Marston Moretaine and Rickling Green in the last couple of months and they were fine. If you want me to check the info at Sandon drop me a PM. Went past location last Sunday but wasn’t looking for info clue answers!

« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2022, 07:54:26 pm »
Evening.
I'm home, showered and feed after finishing my ECE and completing my first SR.

Just wanted to thank Tomsk for organising another great ride and to Jos and Mick his helpers.

Also a quick thanks to everyone who got me round last night. I was rough as but thanks to James, Chris, Jane, Jonathan and Nick I got round and didn't dnf.

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2022, 08:20:55 pm »
Yes, a big thank you to all involved, a very pleasant night ride and a great bacon buttie at the end.

« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2022, 08:21:58 pm »
Saw 4 HTW riders riding as two pairs, going opposite way and shouted but probably wondered where the two random cyclists had appeared from in early hours.

« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2022, 08:56:48 pm »
First, a massive vote of thanks  to Tomsk and all who organised or helped out on this ride.  It made for a very enjoyable first 300km and first overnight ride for me.  Thanks also to the many otp and otherwise who shared varying bits of the ride with me, and who without exception offered some great advice about stepping up the distance, other possible next steps and much needed improvements for my nighttime setup.

I'm home, showered and feed after finishing my ECE and completing my first SR.

Owen - glad to hear you made it round and finished the Essex SR. I hope the rest of the friendly group I rode with as far as Whittlesey all made it round ok.

Saw 4 HTW riders riding as two pairs, going opposite way and shouted but probably wondered where the two random cyclists had appeared from in early hours.

I was part of what must have been the first pair you saw, exiting the junction just as you approached the point where the routes overlapped. In our 3am stupor, we initially assumed you were part of our ride, had found a sneaky shortcut and expected you to follow us.  Once you turned in to the road we had just pulled out from, we quickly realised our mistake but by that time our shouted greeting was swallowed by the breeze.  Hope your route check went well.

« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2022, 08:57:06 am »
I’ve made changes in a few places from the 2021 route which worked very well.  We also picked up a couple of missing instructions , and some signs that had gone missing, plus lanes recently spray gravelled :thumbsup:

P.S. Also great sunset and sunrise which happened at suitable places for a good photograph this time.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2022, 05:26:15 pm »
It was a bit of a slog on the ride to Dunmow due to the wind and I arrived with just enough time to fill my bottles and grab my brevet card before the start.

Then a lovely evening ride up to Cambridge, followed by a beautiful night ride with Leo. The moon was amazing. At 3am the first hints of dawn appeared and the next few hours were a riot of colour as the sun reappeared. This is why I love night riding.

I started to feel sleepy before Newport Pagnell service station but made it without needing to stop. (The only other time I attempted this ride I had to quit as I kept falling asleep on the bike.)

After Newport Pagnell I again started to feel sleepy and had to stop at Marston Moretaine for a proper snooze on a picnic table. Oh the glamour.

Caught up with Leo in Biggleswade and we then had a fab ride back to Dunmow. Well done to Leo on his first 300.

The wind had now turned around and I had another headwind slog back home, and had to have another snooze in Sible Hedingham.

Cheers to the team for putting on the ride  :thumbsup:
Fantastic ride by Leo to complete his first 300 :thumbsup:

Riding to the start

Dawn views before Lavendon

River Great Ouse

Heading to the Tyringham info control.

Somewhere around Ashwell

Looking back towards the Cambridgeshire fens

Approaching the info control at Sandon

Views across the landscape after Reed
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2022, 05:53:05 pm »
The piccie of the rolling mist is fantastic. A sight you wouldn't get to see unless you rode through the night into dawn.

« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2022, 10:11:58 pm »
I remember riding this a few years back, great ride.  The morning mist was something else, legs and feet were freezing whilst rest of body had the early morning sun…. Very odd.