Author Topic: Pedestrian on the phone  (Read 16072 times)

ian

Re: Pedestrian on the phone
« Reply #50 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:26:29 am »
That doesn't detract from the fact that too many cyclists in London ride like twunts. Too fast, and too aggressively. Very important people having very important days of course. I expect they're on their way to a Range Rover and high blood pressure. They have to start somewhere.

I use CS3 along the Embankment most days. It's alarming how many cyclists coming the other way will come over to my side of the path to overtake slower cyclists, leading to some very near misses. Some people need to learn that the flip side of having all this lovely cycling infrastructure is that greater numbers of cyclists means accepting that sometimes you will be stuck in bike traffic - and understand that as with driving a car, you are part of that traffic.

Mind you, I've yet to observe an actual collision, and personally will always take evasive action rather than run into another cyclist to prove a stupid point.

I see quite a few wheel prangs on CS7, mostly minor, usually starting gate incidents (the usual suspects who like to the speed to the front at the lights and then do the   s   l   o   w   start because they take an advanced period of entertainingly annoying wobbling before they finally achieve forward motion which is then slow because low gears are for girls). Close overtakes by the lycra boys are a guaranteed form of intimacy. I generally assume they just want to get me know better. I have nice buns.

I'm generally not annoyed*, it's just wry observation of the cycling clades of London, I rumble through the London suburbs like a cycling Desmond Morris. I think in part it's selective pressure, to be a cyclist in London still favours the young and brave, who view themselves as immortal and all-knowing (hey, I was young once, I get it). Plus they're mostly blokes and it's a thing about men, whether they know it or not, that they have to compete. I always put it down to a misplaced evolutionary imperative to impress potential mates. The irony, of course, is that there are usually more women at a Muslim Brotherhood meet than there are commuting down CS7 (in the spirit of the balance, there's probably more Muslims at a WI meeting; the entire London commute is less diverse than a KKK rally). As for potential mates who aren't on bikes, any appreciation is more likely to be delivered as a dopplered Waaaaaanker!

*well, the other day as I aborted an overtake of a cyclist in front of me because there was a big puddle, the chap who then decided to shimmy between us, nudging us both, and for bonus points then spraying us with Brixton's finest vintage road water. I might have been a tad annoyed then.

ian

« Reply #51 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:39:39 am »
Oh, and when they overtake you at each light and then studiously get in your way. Death by weasel for the lot of them.

(Also the ones that grind past you and then the moment they've done so, run out of energy and slow to a crawl right in front, meaning you have go around them, so they'll overtake and then exhaust themselves again. Just ride at a constant bloody speed.)

Hmm, I think I'll take CS7 home. If there's one good thing, it concentrates the mind on the sorts of suitable punishments that will await these individuals when I get a management level role in Hell.

Don't ever go lanes-swimming for exercise.  This sort of thing is almost de rigeur.  :facepalm:

As per my post above, it reminds there was an article in the Guardian a few weeks back about precisely this – as it was a clickbait opinion piece she put it down to rampant sexism – really it's the same urge for blokes to compete over anything, and as such they'll push past anyone, including ambling Bromptoneers running a Desmond Morrisish commentary on their fellow cyclists through their heads.

(And yeah, I'm a regular lane swimmer.)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #52 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:01:54 pm »
Does anyone else move a foot or two away from the curb when passing pedestrians even when the're not so close to the edge?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:26:50 pm »
Does anyone else move a foot or two away from the curb when passing pedestrians even when the're not so close to the edge?

When circumstances permit, yes.  Especially when my spidey-sense is tingling.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #54 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:37:25 pm »

Definitely. I've yet to be in a bad scrape despite having worked in cycle delivery in London for nearly a year, because I am overly noided at how fucking stupid so many people seem to be.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #55 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:38:46 pm »

Definitely. I've yet to be in a bad scrape despite having worked in cycle delivery in London for nearly a year, because I am overly noided at how fucking stupid so many people seem to be.
"noided" ??
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #56 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:39:05 pm »
Absolutely.
Rust never sleeps

bludger

« Reply #57 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:43:37 pm »

"noided" ??

Paranoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sticXkHxZC4

Ban cars.

ian

« Reply #58 on: 20 June, 2019, 02:44:42 pm »

Yes, I generally try to ensure I've got enough space to go around anyone who steps or falls off the pavement.

In some places, like Wild West Croydon, it's best just to ride in the middle of the road while praying fervently to whatever deities you may feel are inclined to offer you protection.

« Reply #59 on: 20 June, 2019, 03:05:22 pm »
First there's the perceived injustice where cyclists are treated differently by the courts, both as accused and victims. But, unless you can show this particular judge is guilty of that, all you are left with is this case which shows no particular bias.
I (a) agree and (b) disagree.
(a) The discussion is about the perceived (or real) injustice of cyclists being held to a higher standard than motorists, which would be clearly wrong.
(b) It is not a case of this judge, but of the judicial system as a whole.  The law needs to be applied consistently by all judges, not just one judge sticking to his interpretation (the parallel would be exam marking not rugby union refs: all GCSE Maths exams must be marked the same way, the law must be applied the same way to everyone, it should not matter who the judge/examiner is). 

It is very hard to prove (a) either way as the stats are so low for cyclists injuring pedestrians, however the injustice perceived is based on the absolute (vs %) comparison of #cyclists convicted vs #motorists let off.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #60 on: 20 June, 2019, 08:27:48 pm »
I ha had pedestrian walk in front of me as i passed parked bus a few weeks ago. As I am slow and awake he just got reminded to look before he crossed. A slightly faster cyclist would have had  no chance of avoiding him. However careful you ride there is always the chance you could hit a lemming  :-\
the slower you go the more you see

spindrift

« Reply #61 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:08:06 pm »

The Personal Injury team is acting for Mr Robert Hazeldean in defending a claim brought against him by Gemma Brushett.

Unfortunately, Mr Hazeldean had not felt able to instruct solicitors at the outset due to costs. He therefore tried to deal with the case as a litigant in person. The Claimant took advantage of this and has now sought almost £100,000 in costs.

https://levisolicitors.co.uk/news/our-client-robert-hazeldean/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Pedestrian on the phone
« Reply #62 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:08:34 pm »
However careful you ride there is always the chance you could hit a lemming  :-\

And yet the only time I have ever done so was 32 years ago, when I was a reckless 14 year old.

I must be incredibly lucky, right?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #63 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:39:24 pm »

The Personal Injury team is acting for Mr Robert Hazeldean in defending a claim brought against him by Gemma Brushett.

Unfortunately, Mr Hazeldean had not felt able to instruct solicitors at the outset due to costs. He therefore tried to deal with the case as a litigant in person. The Claimant took advantage of this and has now sought almost £100,000 in costs.

https://levisolicitors.co.uk/news/our-client-robert-hazeldean/

This is why I don't get the reaction here. This could happen to anyone here. A fairly wealthy person decides to sue the shit out of you and there's nothing you can do, unless you have similar level of resources.

Instead it's "Oh, he had an airhorn, he must be a bad person"...and "I'm such a good and considerate cyclist, that it would never happen to me".

It's friggin' common sense to look for traffic when stepping onto the road...to then do so, whilst busy with your phone and then claiming the other party is at fault, is complete nonsense. Why does it always have to be someone elses fault? It's one of the worst traits of the UK."We must blame someone!! (And ideally someone else)".

ian

« Reply #64 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:50:03 pm »
Well, it's a separate point that rich people have access to legal tools that the rest of us don't and can indeed use the law as a weapon.

I don't think he is a bad person. Actually, having read the response, he seems anything but reasonable.

Like I say, they could have both learned a lesson here and moved on with their lives. Neither was seriously injured. It seems he was willing to, and that she wasn't. I think the only people who will be enriched by this will be the lawyers. I hope she feels better for having bankrupted someone over what was ultimately an accident.

citoyen

Pedestrian on the phone
« Reply #65 on: 20 June, 2019, 10:50:35 pm »
Instead it's "Oh, he had an airhorn, he must be a bad person"...and "I'm such a good and considerate cyclist, that it would never happen to me".

The claimant is a vile excuse for a human being, but the cyclist’s hubris is what got him into this mess, which mitigates my sympathy somewhat.

It's friggin' common sense to look for traffic when stepping onto the road...to then do so, whilst busy with your phone and then claiming the other party is at fault, is complete nonsense. Why does it always have to be someone elses fault? It's one of the worst traits of the UK."We must blame someone!! (And ideally someone else)".

This is more about liability than fault, isn’t it?

Accidents happen, we all know that. Most of them are avoidable but we’re all human so we make some allowances. But when they do happen, there may be costs involved in putting right the damage, and those costs need to be met by someone.

What’s really outrageous in this case is not that the cyclist has been found liable but that the costs are entirely disproportionate and unfair, not to mention unnecessary.

Lesson: don’t run into someone who can afford more expensive lawyers than you.

ian

« Reply #66 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:09:14 pm »
I think the sad lesson of the British legal system is don't do anything to people who can afford better lawyers than you.

spindrift

« Reply #67 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:15:54 pm »
TBH that's why I went straight to the British Cycling website for the £33.50 deal.

« Reply #68 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:20:35 pm »
I ha had pedestrian walk in front of me as i passed parked bus a few weeks ago. As I am slow and awake he just got reminded to look before he crossed. A slightly faster cyclist would have had  no chance of avoiding him. However careful you ride there is always the chance you could hit a lemming  :-\

I always assume someone is going to appear behind every stopped large vehicle, and ride accordingly.

That said, the guy does seem to have been completely screwed by the legal system.

bludger

« Reply #69 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:38:15 pm »
That's it - from this point if I am in an accident with a pedestrian I am going to think twice before I stop. Being a decent human being will get you dragged through the courts and taken to the cleaners. What a joke.

Ban cars.

citoyen

« Reply #70 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:14:19 am »
TBH that's why I went straight to the British Cycling website for the £33.50 deal.

For a London commuter cyclist, that’s a far more sensible use of your money than an air horn.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #71 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:26:33 am »

Is that the £37 deal now - or is there another they're not making obvious?

:D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #72 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:09:58 am »

Is that the £37 deal now - or is there another they're not making obvious?

:D

That’s the deal with the free airhorn...
It is simpler than it looks.

spindrift

« Reply #73 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:25:33 am »
It says £33.50 if you pay by direct debit.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #74 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:25:53 am »
They're on thin ice with Direct Debit being cheaper, you can claim the excess you paid for not doing that from your energy supplier these days.

Back to the main point.  I hope a pro-bono lawyer reads that and helps him out.   The judge finding it 50-50 liability I don't have a problem with per se - but.... getting screwed over by someone rich because they *can* in court - not at all.  :(

[edit] - ah, having now come back and seen that this does indeed at least appear to be a pro-bono law firm that has stepped in... that's great.  Good luck Mr Hazeldean.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.