Author Topic: Price for wallpapering  (Read 958 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Price for wallpapering
« on: 01 February, 2021, 05:36:37 pm »
I got a quote to get a room papered. The room is approx 3m x 2.5m and they've quoted me £500 plus VAT (not incl paper).
I know it's a dormer room and therefore the coombed ceiling and round the dormer will be a royal PITA (why I'm not doing it myself) but it was a bit more than I expected, even for Aberdeen.
Any recent experience? Am I being gouged or is that just the higher end of normal? (It's a company as opposed to a man in a van).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Price for wallpapering
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:02:56 pm »
Certainly in London, that would be a bargain, IF you could find a skilled paperer in the first place.  Don't know about Aberdeen.

I no longer recommend paperers to clients - been let down by poor work being done on too many occasions.  I know of 2 excellent guys, but I don't even bother ringing them these days as they are always booked up months in advance.  There is a definite gap in the market and someone who can get good results with expensive paper can more or less name their price.
The sound of one pannier flapping

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:05:23 pm »
I do my own papering once every few years, so I'm not quick.  I'd have expected a pro to do that room in a day, max, so £500 looks steep to me.  More like £250 for a day's work?  I'd have thought that it would take me a day and a bit, so a pro should be much faster.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:11:49 pm »
a Tin of  paint is cheaper.   Seriously, a friend of mine is an Artist, and he wanted to have a wall papered in William Morris wallpaper, but the cost was ridiculous, so he painted the wall the background colour,  made some stencils, marked them all on the wall, pencilled each one,then then  painted each one, with a photo stuck on the wall next to it. Didn't take as long as he thought, and it does indeed, look stunning.

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:23:55 pm »
It sounds ok to me.  About 8 years ago I had a room a bit bigger than that  decorated - gloss, paper, emulsion for about £400.  An up to date guide - I have a study which is 2.5m by 2m and a quote dated this time last year is for £200 labour only to hand and emulsion paper.

« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2021, 07:35:05 pm »
Every time I strip wallpaper I skim the wall and paint it.  Sadly, William Morris designs are probably beyond me.  Even Jackson Pollock's harder than I expected..  Mrs A was an excellent paper hanger but it's a bit beyond her now.

Today we bought sheets of plasterboard for the kitchen ceiling and will put it up tomorrow over the grotty woodchip and 5 decades of paint that needs a jack-hammer to get it off.  It'll look fab.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2021, 03:24:03 pm »
Good source for daywork rates. Locally to me these are a bit low but does give an idea as to whether is reasonable or not. If job was say  two days should be circa £400 ex. Is it just the paper Mrs P? Are the walls a bit flaky by that I mean will the decorator have to size or stabilise the current wall finishes? At the end of the day it has to be worth the cost to you. Also there are lots of 'brush hands" out there i.e. less qualified individuals calling themselves painters and decorators. A qualified P and D will charge the upper end of the scale and will be glad of internal work at this time of the year.

https://www.priceyourjob.co.uk/tradesmen-day-rates/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain