Author Topic: Replacement freehub  (Read 1020 times)

Replacement freehub
« on: 04 February, 2020, 10:15:08 pm »
The freehub on my specialized hardrock pro - of an unknown year, but my best guess would be 08 - has completely bust.
I'm on a serious budget, I use the bike for commuting only, so I really don't want to have to buy a whole new wheel.
I would like to replace the freehub, but no bike shops in London seem interested.
I can't get the freehub off without paying a bit of money for someone else to do it, and I want to be able to calculate how much it would cost to buy a new freehub and have it re-fitted.
Essentially, does anyone have any idea what freehub I'll need? So I can get a better idea of how much it'll all cost before I start throwing money at a cheap bike.
And, once I've got it off, how can I be sure I'm buying the right replacement?
It's a "specialized stout" wheel hub that the freehub must fit onto.

Thank you very much for any help, all is appreciated.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Replacement freehub
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2020, 10:36:19 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2020, 11:43:51 pm »
Where in London are you? I'd give reasonable odds that you might have another forum member near you with enough tools, expertise and enthusiasm to give you a hand (if you're anywhere SEish I can probably help with tools and enthusiasm).

That said, you're probably going to be quicker and cheaper to source a replacement wheel, maybe secondhand (especially if this is 26in), than to track down and buy the right replacement freehub, albeit the thread LWaB has linked to should get you off to a flying start.

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2020, 08:28:32 am »
I am indeed in the south east Jsabine! That would be absolutely awesome if you could help get the thing off, I've heard they can be a little trouble. I'm near Deptford, what about yourself?
As for the other thread, thank you very much. I will wait until I have the freehub in my hand before I think about buying a new one though.
Really appreciate the help

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2020, 01:02:24 pm »
most likely the hub will be a rebadged version of formula, quando or novatec, but without dismantling it, it can be difficult to tell. sometimes there is oem brand printed on rubber seals. if it's a formula, then 11mm allen key is required to take the freehub off, it's not a common size allen key.

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2020, 01:26:53 am »
Completely missed the updates to this thread - sorry. I'm in SE7, so not a million miles from Deptford.

Quite happy to look out allen keys and prepare the Fine Adjuster.