Author Topic: Ticket Refunds ?  (Read 6200 times)

Ticket Refunds ?
« on: 06 April, 2020, 11:51:04 pm »
My sister spent several hundred pounds on tickets for "Mamma Mia" , promoted by Ambassador Theatre Group (ATG).  Obviously all performances are postponed. 

ATG are offering rescheduled performances or credit vouchers https://www.atgtickets.com/coronavirus-info/      She'd prefer a cash refund.   Is there a way to do this via her credit card company ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Ticket Refunds ?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2020, 12:02:24 am »
I think there probably is. Credit cards, as opposed to debit crds, come with some sort of liability of the card company taking on the debt.

Usual disclaimer: IANAL.

Jan and I should have been at the Royal Opera House on 1st April to see Swan lake - tickets bought for us by our Melbourne daughter. Several options were offered, but rather than go for a refund, we suggested that we donate the ticket price to the ROH. We would have had to spend the entire performance in a chair without arms in any case. Too old for that sort of thing: I need to loll.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2020, 12:15:58 am »
I expect he answer is in the T&C which we all tick as having read but no one does. Still worth reading as there's a possibility that they're trying it on and those T&C allow for a refund, in which case pointing that out to them ought to be enough, with the threat of getting the CC involved as a back up.  OTOH if they're acting within the agreed T&C, then they are fulfilling the contract and I can't see a CC company refunding on the basis that you no longer like the contract agreed.  I'm not a lawyer, though there was probably one involved in writing the T&C.

EDIT - Some guidance here
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/coronavirus-outbreak-cancelled-or-postponed-events-can-i-get-my-money-back/

This bit's interesting, if the tickets were purchased direct
These firms are required by the industry’s self-regulatory body, the Society of Ticket Agents and Retailers (STAR), to refund the ticket’s face value price when an event is cancelled.

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2020, 06:59:04 pm »
I've got two different sets of theatre tickets booked (one through ATG and one through LondonTheatre).

Personally I'm happy to wait, I don't need a refund right now, and I can see why agents like ATG are trying to cling on to the money (they'd be completely done as a company if everyone requested a refund).

One of the shows (the one through ATG) was only on for a week at that specific theatre so if it doesn't come back, or comes back at a time that isn't suitable then their emails say I can request a refund.

If you want a refund, for whatever reason, then push for it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:05:52 pm »
This has reminded me to get in touch with Sadlers Wells. We had tickets for Pina Bausch, which is unlikely to be rescheduled 🙁
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »
This has reminded me to get in touch with Sadlers Wells. We had tickets for Pina Bausch, which is unlikely to be rescheduled 🙁

They got in touch with my wife about her season ticket with an offer to refund, though with the caveat that they'd love it if she didn't ask and continued to pay). Anyway, on the very dubious grounds that her husband's life would be incomplete without exposure to avant-garde dance, she's letting them keep the money.

(To be honest, I'm only the stand-in when she can't find someone else to accompany her.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:49:40 pm »
This is such a bloody middle-class thread.  Swan Lake?  Sadlers Wells? No-one is complaining that they can't go and see Cradle of Filth or The Butthole Surfers this summer.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:51:51 pm »
My daughter was in some school dance competition which has been postponed. They haven't been able to practise for weeks, and she leaves that school this summer, so got knows whether it will ever happen. I've accepted the tickets for the postponed event - I doubt it will happen, but I'm cool with that.

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:59:41 pm »
This is such a bloody middle-class thread.  Swan Lake?  Sadlers Wells? No-one is complaining that they can't go and see Cradle of Filth or The Butthole Surfers this summer.

Roger, whoever's filthy buttholes you surf in Swindon's car parks & lay byes it's none of our business.  We are not here to judge you.....

OMG.  Autocarrot told me I'd spelt buttholes wrong  :D

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2020, 02:57:58 pm »

I'm upset that Download Festival has been cancelled, that good enough?  :-D  Was looking forward to some of the heavier end of the line up as well, especially Gojira!  :'(
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2020, 03:57:35 pm »

One of our dogs gives an exhibition of that every day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11 on: 08 April, 2020, 04:36:44 pm »
I had a BA  flight to Bologna end of Feb. They offered a rebook within a month, which I lolled at, but accepted, just to buy time for the FCO to catch up with reality. By mid March BA  had cancelled the flights and offered a full refund.

Curiously, the refund link wouldnt work, despite many attempts over several weeks, and their refund phone line was a recorded message essentially telling you to fuck off.

By end of march the refund button worked.But it sent me straight to a future travel voucher.

Womad have just cancelled, offering refund or 2021 tickets.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2020, 04:41:24 pm »
Ah, that's not unexpected on Womad.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2020, 04:49:54 pm »
I've gone for the refund. I can always buy a ticket next year if circumstances permit.

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2020, 05:05:06 pm »

I'm just relieved that I've already seen Cradle of Filth live! ;D (It was many moons ago...)

Also quite glad that I procrastinated for so long over buying tickets to several gigs this summer that I didn't get round to booking any of them.

« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2020, 01:00:23 am »

Is Go Ape and less middle-class? We had tickets for the first weekend of Lockdown, and were told we could book for a different date when they were forced to close. The closure decision was made late the day before our visit & credit to them they emailed and followed up with a phone call to check we had received the message.

Looking at the T&C's now they are saying no refunds for CV19 closure only rebook, but these have clearly been changed since I booked. Doesn't really matter as we still want to Go Ape, and it was for a birthday celebration so hopefully when we rebook we will be able to go for a pub meal afterwards as well.

« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:24:33 pm »
ATG have said they are rescheduling the tour for April 2022.    By that time I'd expect both them & the local theatre to have gone bust.  Please phone us to discuss your options.  That's going to be a busy number.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:35:18 pm »
What are the overheads of a closed theatre? I'd imagine most own their buildings so no rent, there'll be minimal power while shut, staff furloughed, so that business rates and a little maintenance. I guess many have outstanding loans so depends on the attitude of the bank.

(This is highly likely to be wrong as wrong ^^^ so please inform if you actually know about these things)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2020, 11:21:53 pm »
Rent/mortgage, rates, insurance, loans, bear fences.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2020, 11:36:57 pm »
What are the overheads of a closed theatre? I'd imagine most own their buildings so no rent, there'll be minimal power while shut, staff furloughed, so that business rates and a little maintenance. I guess many have outstanding loans so depends on the attitude of the bank.

Here's an example:-

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2020/coronavirus-old-vic-will-need-critical-fundraising-warns-matthew-warchus/

His plans for the theatre have been unveiled in a statement, in which he reveals two thirds of the Old Vic’s staff have been furloughed, with the remainder taking a 20% cut to their pay for the next six months.

So 1/3 of the staff are still there on 80% of their pay. Probably because they earn way more than the £2.5k/month cap that furlough covers and the theatre will need quite a few people working up until they reopen to put the next shows on (and furloughed employees legally cannot do any work for the company whilst on furlough). They can't furlough everyone as they can't just pull something together at short notice (and get people to pay to watch it) when lockdown is eventually eased, the new shows need to be created, planned, etc.

I also wouldn't be surprised if theatres that did own their own buildings sold up in return for a large dose of cash many years ago. It is the true capitalist way to push everything to opex rather than capex.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:54:36 pm »
Meanwhile I'm slightly confused by what KLM are up to. We were flying to AMS on the 1st May.
On 1st April they emailed saying the flight schedule had changed & we were booked on another flight.
On 2nd April they email saying our flights had been cancelled. Fine I thought, I'll investigate the refund/voucher situation at my leisure.
19th April I got an email from that Amadeus travel booking system thing saying my flights were confirmed. (The same ones that were cancelled).
20th April I got yet another email from Amadeus which looks the same as the one that came a day earlier.

I'm confused how my cancelled flights have suddenly become uncancelled, but having peered at KLM's voucher site it says if they cancel the flight you can get a refund if you haven't used the travel voucher in 12 months, whereas if you cancel, you can't.
Gits.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #21 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:14:16 pm »

We received our ticket price refund for Project Dante at the ROH today less £3 which I assume was a booking fee.

Now should I cancel the room booking at my club too?  :P

« Reply #22 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:45:12 pm »
I realised the other day that I ought to cancel my train season ticket as this obviously isn't going to be a couple week shutdown after all. Not using the train at the moment I'd half forgotten about the ticket.

I was very pleased to find that Southern, of all people, are backdating season ticket refunds to March 17th rather than going off of when you apply.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #23 on: 21 April, 2020, 09:11:12 pm »
No. 1 Son also had BA flights for a planned trip to Oz cancelled.
He was also bounced endlessly between the web site and the customer services line - He refused to accept a voucher on line and thus kept trying customer services several times a day for the past few weeks. Suddenly and magically answered on the phone line today. Refund now in the bank.

« Reply #24 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:27:22 am »
Howard Winchester hotel :thumbsup:

Mrs A. had a booking later this year for a concert that was rescheduled for next year. 

She'd booked the hotel but it was a non-refundable booking and they would take the money whether or not she showed up.
They were not able to offer a room that far ahead or something.  I suggested she contact them rather than write off £100 and they kindly agreed to cancel the booking gratis. 
Move Faster and Bake Things