Author Topic: ABUS Bordo Folding locks.  (Read 4394 times)

Re: ABUS Bordo Folding locks.
« Reply #25 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:20:34 pm »
Loads of lock testing videos are be a bit misleading though, especially the ones from the manufacturers!

In the lock picking ones, they first practice picking the lock, maybe for hours including disassembley, before making the video which shows them picking the lock in a few seconds. In the case of some front door locks, they even turn the lock upside down to make it easier.

In the ones where the lock is held firmly in a vice, if the lock was on a bike, either the bike would be damaged or they wouldn't have been able to apply the same force as easily.

If it's for a very expensive ebike, I would get the heaviest and thickest D lock (ie most "secure") and only lock the frame and use nuts or non-qr skewers for the wheels as I think the wheels would be less likely to be stolen than the whole bike. For locking both wheels and the frame, I would use a heavy and thick chain to lock the frame and the back wheel and a second D lock for the front.

Since it's an ebike, perhaps use locks designed for motorbikes that lock the bike to an object.
My bold.
Could you please post a link to where you've seen that.
Most locks are really easy to pick.
I think that people would be shocked to learn how easy it is to pick the majority of locks.
I bought a set of picks. (For picking as a recreational activity, you understand - if you are breaking in and entering, there are invariably easier ways of doing so than picking at the lock).
They were delivered to my work address.
The first lock I tried was a filing cabinet. It didn't take much longer to open than it would with a key.
There's something like 80-odd picks in the set.
I can open most cylinder locks with one of four 'favoutite' picks.
There's a couple of people on this forum who have used my picks to open locks in seconds.
It isn't until you get into the realm of Banham, Ingersoll  or Abloy locks (other locks are available), that there's any significant challenge to picking locks.

It's just something I read in the comments section of some Youtube videos.

Filing cabinet locks and locks costing £50+ are hardly comparable.

Btw, as for blind picking, I present you a somewhat relevant LPL video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAyTv64YkTI

It's not absolutely clear from the video, but it seems he says he has previously picked the  "Abus X-Plus Core" ie the cylinder/mechanism but not that particular actual D lock that he took out of the box in the video.

So, even the video title, "Blind Pick of The Abus X-Plus Core" could be misleading. Blind pick could mean a model of lock core that you've never picked before or you have picked that model of core before but not that one particular example of the core.

The fact he has to put "blind pick" in the title shows unless stated lock picking videos are not done unrehearsed.

« Reply #26 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:22:14 pm »
Watching LPL's videos made me realise that every lock will fail, just a question of how quickly.
In a world where you can get a battery powered angle grinder for less than the cost of a decent lock, the war has been lost.
Assess the risk level and choose your weapon accordingly.
The best way tho is to not lock your bike up anywhere too risky.

J

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:22:51 pm »
It's not absolutely clear from the video, but it seems he says he has previously picked the  "Abus X-Plus Core" ie the cylinder/mechanism but not that particular actual D lock that he took out of the box in the video.

So, even the video title, "Blind Pick of The Abus X-Plus Core" could be misleading. Blind pick could mean a model of lock core that you've never picked before or you have picked that model of core before but not one particular example of the core.

The fact he has to put "blind pick" in the title shows unless stated lock picking videos are not done unrehearsed.

Cool, that means someone can buy a suitable pick, practice on a couple of Abus locks, then go out hunting for bikes with the specific lock.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #28 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:39:02 pm »
ETEFA - Richard Feynman got me into this, years ago.
As long as it stops there and doesn't spread to bongos.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #29 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:42:20 pm »
ETEFA - Richard Feynman got me into this, years ago.
As long as it stops there and doesn't spread to bongos.
It's not the bongos you need to worry about.
The atomic weaponry? Prolly a bit more serious.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:48:30 pm »
An interesting and potentially useful street test would be around intervention. If you spot a bike being stolen, how can you best intervene and how can you encourage others to intervene with you? Given that solo intervention is scary and calling the police results in a logged phone call at best.

I called the police from a safe distance when I found someone attacking a bike lock with a hacksaw.  As it was within the jurisdiction of the Bullring's private army, the police operator - evidently disappointed when they realised I was talking about a pedal cycle rather than a motorcycle - quickly passed it on, and a several of security goons descended from multiple directions to ask pointed questions while I was still on the phone.

So yeah, might be more than a logged call.

(Of course, I have a cyclist's dislike for bike thieves.)
Good as far as it got a swift reaction from Bullring Army. I can't help feeling that Real Cops would generally be less interested. I once phoned them when I saw the theft of a genuine motorbike and they took lots of details but that was it. Mind you, I hadn't managed to get the reg number, which would have helped them.

I remember Feline occasionally otp was or is very keen or a little lock with a built-in alarm. Possibly a better deterrent than a lock? Dunno.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:00:12 pm »
Having helped a friend liberate abandoned bikes with a cordless angle grinder (legally), the only thing keeping your bike safe is that no one so equipped has decided they want to take it.

It doesn't matter what lock you have or how easy it is to pick. Some locks might take a little longer to cut through but that's about it.

« Reply #32 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:15:57 pm »
That's unexpectedly disappointing.

Sorry to have been the one to bring it to your attention. The truth is that there isn’t anything out there short of extremely heavy chains and locks that can withstand the Youtube brigade for more than a minute or two.

I’m beginning to think there is no “one lock” solution to this.

I’m also beginning to think I may need to have my branes looked at. The situation is that at present I park the bike in our office. This is fine as it folds up well out anybody’s way. However, I may be spending less time in that office for a period so there is a bit more risk. But the big weakness is that there is not much I can lock it to that I can think of aside from easily sawed through desk supports that are bolted to the floor.

So no matter how excellent the lock... Or would there still be some deterrent value?

Regardless, I still need something half decent for out and about and the Bordo strikes me as a reasonable compromise (when weight isn’t a big deal) that is Sold Secure Gold and hence insurable.

I must also investigate what the insurance says about bikes in offices, if anything.

« Reply #33 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:18:16 pm »
Sadly the way I've gone is:-

Hack bikes for commuting.

Nice bikes for riding where I don't even carry a lock as it'll never be out of reach (or I carry a cafe lock and I'll be away from it for a minute or so).

Assumes you have somewhere secure to store the nice bike(s) though.

We have reasonable secure bike parking at work but I wouldn't want to risk a really nice bike there day in day out.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #34 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:04:59 pm »
Sadly the way I've gone is:-

Hack bikes for commuting.

Nice bikes for riding where I don't even carry a lock as it'll never be out of reach (or I carry a cafe lock and I'll be away from it for a minute or so).

Assumes you have somewhere secure to store the nice bike(s) though.

We have reasonable secure bike parking at work but I wouldn't want to risk a really nice bike there day in day out.
Likewise - we have a 24hr 365 day secure site - I'm still not sure I'd be leaving my Ti favourite unattended for days on end.

Security staff are going to be looking for building / vehicle security penetration. Not pushbikes.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:26:32 pm »

Something I find mildly amusing is that for many of use we invest loads in bike locks, analyse the mechanisms, the pickability, the metallurgy of the lock, etc...

Yet when the lock on our front door, which for many of us, in pure terms of time, is the primary means of protecting our bikes, has nowhere near as much thought put into it, let alone the physical properties of the door. For most of us, a couple of blows with a sledge hammer is enough to open the door...

J
--

« Reply #36 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:36:14 pm »
Could vary enormously between the UK and the EU.
AIUI most EU front doors open outwards.
UK - inwards.
I stand to be corrected.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:39:35 pm »
UK - inwards.
I stand to be corrected.

Most Amsterdam house doors open inwards...

Based on my experience of delivering to them.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:42:16 pm »
I'm thinking of 9 flats or houses in Poland and 1 in India in which I lived for at least a couple of months, in some cases several years, and how their front doors opened.

In only one case can I even remember the colour of the door let alone the opening direction.  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:28:40 pm »

Something I find mildly amusing is that for many of use we invest loads in bike locks, analyse the mechanisms, the pickability, the metallurgy of the lock, etc...

Yet when the lock on our front door, which for many of us, in pure terms of time, is the primary means of protecting our bikes, has nowhere near as much thought put into it, let alone the physical properties of the door. For most of us, a couple of blows with a sledge hammer is enough to open the door...

That's because we get to buy our own bike locks, but have to put up with the door of whoever is charitable enough to rent to us.

(I upgraded the euro lock on our front door to one that can resist a couple of simple attacks, but mostly because it was more convenient to have one that didn't require a key to unlock from the inside.)

« Reply #40 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:29:05 pm »

Yet when the lock on our front door...

Deep down, I know it. But these days I’m finding that getting absorbed in various forms of web-based bike nerdery is just what I need. Novels just aren’t cutting it. Give me a never-ending apples vs oranges comparison attempt any day.

« Reply #41 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:34:48 pm »
UK - inwards.
I stand to be corrected.

Most Amsterdam house doors open inwards...

Based on my experience of delivering to them.

J
I find myself duly corrected.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:06:49 pm »

That's because we get to buy our own bike locks, but have to put up with the door of whoever is charitable enough to rent to us.

(I upgraded the euro lock on our front door to one that can resist a couple of simple attacks, but mostly because it was more convenient to have one that didn't require a key to unlock from the inside.)

That is true. I asked the chair of the building coop if I was allowed to install some security measures for my flat. Every single one of them was turned down. Including:

- Electrifying the front door
- Electrifying the front door knob
- Spike pit in hallway

I don't understand why, they seemed like entirely reasonable requests to me :(

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2020, 12:28:55 pm »
The Door Knob Sanitisers Union of the United Provinces is overmighty.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2020, 02:25:35 pm »
Fairly sure my mates houses in bergen has doors that open inwards, although at the previous one we mostly used the slidey door, and the new house that they actually bought has more outside doors than I can think of a use for.

What I do remember was that the skirting boards were on the floor, not the wall, and that stairs in the Netherlands never seem to be designed for tall people...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Davef

ABUS Bordo Folding locks.
« Reply #45 on: 01 June, 2020, 03:26:42 pm »
FYI  highways act 1980 re doors opening outwards

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/153

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk