Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2164401 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #575 on: 20 April, 2009, 01:21:22 pm »
Today on the way to work Dawes Discovery101's bar ends were wonky. So moved them back into position.  Since I did a ride on my proper bike on the weekend I also noticed the saddle was too low again and raised it half an inch.

« Reply #576 on: 20 April, 2009, 06:26:10 pm »
I replaced the bottom bracket on my audax bike today.  It was a Shimano 105 octalink 9 speed job, and must have done 10,000 Km.  The bearings were still  smooth but the splined axle ends had corroded and this led to incessant squeaking, so it had to go.  

I put the chainset throught the parts washer at the same time and noticed that the middle chainring, cassette and chain are also coming to the end of their days, so I've just ordered replacements from SJS.

I've been sticking with 9 speed for as long as I can on my audax machine - I don't particularly trust 10 speed for long distance wild-country riding.  This will be the last chain and cogs it gets though, as this is the fourth lot it's had and my Ultegra STIs will start playing up at some point.  It will, no doubt, get replaced with 10 speed Ultegra and I'll probably carry a few spare chain links on rides.

I'm getting the frame resprayed soon, so the new bits will go on then, along with new cables all round.  I think I'll get through the Brevet Cymru and do it prior to the BC.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #577 on: 21 April, 2009, 09:55:00 pm »
Changed the headset cups on the vintage bike using SpaceBadger's very expensive tools.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #578 on: 22 April, 2009, 01:51:29 pm »
Shortened the seatpin on the Unicycle and now it needs more (hub flanges slipping on the axle)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #579 on: 22 April, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »
Fitted new (blue :o) tyres to my single-speed. As an upgrade for the $10 Chinese specials that it came with

ed_o_brain

« Reply #580 on: 23 April, 2009, 01:25:47 am »
Fitted mudguards and rack to the Tricross singlefixed cum tourer  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Thanks to PolarBear for the rack :)

All that remains is to connect up and adjust the brakes, check the saddle position and then to finally ride it. (I've only had it four months!)

Then I can investigate the strange noises coming from the uber-commuters transmission.

« Reply #581 on: 24 April, 2009, 10:57:39 pm »
Finally cleaned my 'cross bike (only about 3 months after the end of the season).

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #582 on: 24 April, 2009, 11:23:24 pm »
A Powermac G4 - cloned the hard drive to a faster 7200 rpm drive, upgraded the memory by 1gig, added an Airport PCI Wifi card & got a dirt cheap Mac that surfs & rocks   :thumbsup:
Where have all the hedges gone ?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #583 on: 25 April, 2009, 06:11:04 pm »
Fitted the new fork to Bikenerd's old bike (the fork cost 60% more than the bike did).  It looks stunning.  The A-head stem, with 65mm of spacers, maybe less so, but it will work better.

I saw SpaceBadger's Raleigh at Argos.  It's a foul colour.

but they haven't resprayed it yet
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #584 on: 25 April, 2009, 06:17:41 pm »
Thanks for the mild heart attack!

Note to self: always read the small print!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #585 on: 25 April, 2009, 10:10:15 pm »
Built a bed (and took another apart).

Took my Woodrup to a cleverer person (Pearsons) to fettle... :-[
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #586 on: 25 April, 2009, 10:14:12 pm »
Errrr...let me think

A few tyres that lacked air but not holes in the innertube, a replacement pivot bolt for front lever, remounted and adjusted a disc brake on a new bike so that it would actually work. Stripped al the dead bits of a Tange Chromo GT and cleaned it ready for a transplant of bits to make it live in retro 80s glory once more.

« Reply #587 on: 28 April, 2009, 02:46:05 pm »
Serviced a very indexed/notched headset, and now my bike feels more than a bit wierd, the first replacement I got had too high a stack height, back to the LBS for me.

New rear brake cable, added some gel pads under the bar tape.

My lidl unicycle got hub needed the attention of a welder (and then angle grinder as I've never used an arc welder before) repainted and then rebuilt the wheel.

Next on the list is a bottom bracket, tyres and working out why my new SPD pedals are clicking.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #588 on: 28 April, 2009, 02:52:15 pm »
Wiggle order arrived (no sweets, boo!)

Order contained 13mm cone spanner, so removed all bits, cleaned and re-greased the front hub. Runs a lot nicer now.

Still to do, tighten the rear hub back up, as it appears to have come loose again (note to self, do it up tighter this time) and fit new chain.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #589 on: 28 April, 2009, 03:21:08 pm »
Well, last night I fettled my stealth computer.

See - it's not quite right to have a cycle computer on the bars of a classic Carlton (and, besides, what with the botle cage an everifink, there's no room).

So I wanted to mount it on the rear.  The routing was fine, and the head unit sits neatly under the saddle and hidden by the saddlebag.  But the sensor was too far away from the spokes. 

I struggled with various brackets, till I found a solution that stood it off just enough without any danger of the sensor falling into the wheel (with all the ugly consequences that might ensue :-\ ).  Now working lovely, ready for a fixed commute.

'Cept I needed to go over Streatham Hill this morning to avoid roadworks on my usual route (and I'm a wimp).  Oh - and I need to get moving to keep my average speed up this month.  Too many slow potters. :-\

Ought to point out that, for all my brilliance, it was Butterfly who managed to reprogramme the computer for a 32 tyre.
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #590 on: 28 April, 2009, 03:22:17 pm »
Cleaned & lubed the brakes on my Pompino.

Found a washer left over.

Bugger.

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #591 on: 28 April, 2009, 03:29:17 pm »

Bugger.

Laughs and points!

Then realises he's done the same thing himself...  :-[
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #592 on: 28 April, 2009, 03:51:22 pm »

Bugger.

Keep it safe, after a few more fettling sessions you may have enough parts for a whole new bike.

HTH

:)

ed_o_brain

« Reply #593 on: 28 April, 2009, 04:43:34 pm »
New inner tube on rear of tandem before this morning's commute.

Adjusted rear derailleur cable to try and get shifting right but the deraileur still doesn't want to draw the chain down onto the smallest cog. It's not the adjustment screws as I can still move it just the last little bit by hand and the cable inner moves freely through the outer so I'm suspecting something wrong with the deraileur itself or a bent hanger.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #594 on: 28 April, 2009, 11:32:29 pm »
I raised the saddle because the LBS had lowered it for a test ride after repair.  I adjusted the angle of the brake levers because they were angled too far down.

Next fettle on Saturday if the bits arrive.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #595 on: 29 April, 2009, 10:55:59 pm »
rear hub now back in one piece.

New chain and cassette fitted, rear derailer adjusted (grr, what a pain)

Loose spokes on rear wheel tightened.

Wheel checked for trueness using spoke spanner held on brake blocks.

New tyre fitted on the back.

Bike is a lot quieter now.  :thumbsup:

On the downsite, it appears that my bottom bracket might need a fettle, and I appear to have broken my track pump  >:(

« Reply #596 on: 29 April, 2009, 11:45:35 pm »
Just quickly fettled a fairy visitation into submission.  Unfortunately this hasn't worked insofar as making the server finish it's backingupness.

<fx: twiddles thumbs>
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #597 on: 30 April, 2009, 12:14:55 am »
lol.  Been there done that.   Worst was mistyping a database to exclude...   7 extra tapes... which in those days was about 6 hours.................................

« Reply #598 on: 30 April, 2009, 12:19:51 am »
All done now, so I'll be in bed before 1-30am. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #599 on: 30 April, 2009, 12:27:45 am »
I fixed a broken door latch - pulled it apart, beat it into submission, put all the bits back together ... and it works
 :)
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1