Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162740 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1250 on: 05 February, 2010, 03:17:39 pm »
I have turned about ninety HTML pages into a single consistently formatted Word document.

For no very good reason.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1251 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:49:50 pm »
Not exactly fettled but I gave no. 1 bike a thorough clean. First time for a month so there was a scary amount of gunk. I think I heard a little contented sigh from the bike afterwards.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1252 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:06:50 pm »
That's torn it!  My rubber split :o

I was carefully removing some old bar tape from under a Weinmann brake rubber, and it ripped from side to side :(

Never mind, I was thinking of putting aero levers on it anyway.  Just means it won't be on the road today.  But I have put the new clamp on the seatpost with the replacement saddle, set that up with a better binder bolt, adjusted the gears, and replaced the perished rubber with a pair of Marathons. 

Brake levers, cables & tape remain.
Getting there...

« Reply #1253 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:45:30 pm »
That sounds like good progress :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1254 on: 11 February, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »
new bearings and cones in my front wheel, it spins real good now

« Reply #1255 on: 11 February, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »
Last Sunday I put the back wheel I built before christmas into the clunker.  I haven't fettled the gears to my satisfaction yet though and I've been warned about SA gears when they aren't adjusted (and I haven't put the brake blocks back on either).
Hopefully I'll get to do those things and connect up the dyno and give it all a go this weekend. :)

Then I can get on with working out how to get the brakes to stop the damn thing in the rain!  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1256 on: 11 February, 2010, 03:05:46 pm »
Brake levers, cables & tape remain.

Done that.  Nicked the Shimano 600 aero levers off the half-finished Woodrup.

Computer to fit.
Getting there...

« Reply #1257 on: 11 February, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »
Swopped the bars on the Carrera to short reach/shallow drop FSAs. On the basis of a 4 mile test, seems a lot better. Shorter and slightly more upright stem awaited - fair chance will make the bike (otherwise VERY nice for the money) worth keeping. Given a bit of half decent weather, should help me keep up with the other over 60s on BikeJournal!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #1258 on: 11 February, 2010, 05:29:14 pm »
I have fettled my new blue USE Alien seat post onto the Etape.

« Reply #1259 on: 11 February, 2010, 05:45:27 pm »

Dismantle chain, dérailleur and sprockets, then steam clean them and re-lube.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1260 on: 12 February, 2010, 09:43:08 am »
A lad's chain bost at the turbo session last night.  He wasn't pedalling super-hard, but his bike was a bit under-fettled.  The side plate just fell off one of the links :o

We took the link out (using my kewl Park folding chain tool) and re-joined it.  A bit short, but he desperately needed a new chain anyway.
Getting there...

« Reply #1261 on: 12 February, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »
The side plate just fell off one of the links :o
Years ago, a friend was heading home after a club 10, when all his plates fell off all his links*  :o :o :o

He was scrabbling round in the road, trying to get enough pieces to put a working chain together, when luckily another club mate drove by and offered him a lift home :D

*Well, probably not quite all of them

« Reply #1262 on: 13 February, 2010, 07:56:38 am »
On the way home last night I noticed my main Giant Enigma bottle cage had broken.
So when I took Son2 to football practice last night I dropped into the LBS and got a matching pair of........... yep you guessed it, blue ones  ;D
I shall fettle them today once Mrs G has gone for the day.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1263 on: 13 February, 2010, 09:02:37 am »
I put a new chain on the Thorn this week. It's a Shimano Nexus chain, which was what the LBS sold me, but it's a very unattractive colour. That doesn't, at the moment, seem to stop it going round and round in the desired fashion.

I also had trouble with a valve. It seems to have come unscrewed slightly. I've replaced the tube but the frugal git in me doesn't want to throw it away when the tube itself seems OK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1264 on: 13 February, 2010, 05:33:35 pm »
Mrs Bs slow puncture - for the third time! But this time I think I may (at last!) have found the thing sticking through the tyre.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LEE

« Reply #1265 on: 13 February, 2010, 05:43:02 pm »
Fettled some new Schwalbe Marathons today. 

SJSC shipped them folded/looped twice which put kinks into the bead so I' had to spend some time re-bending them.  I didn't do such a good job on thursday as my front tyre was blown off the rim while the wheel was in the kitchen.  It sounded like a bomb going off as the inner-tube tore itself to shreds.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1266 on: 13 February, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »
I hate it when that happens, and Schwalbes are especially prone to bead damage.

(makes mental note not to buy tyres from SJSC).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1267 on: 13 February, 2010, 06:12:33 pm »
Finished putting my new fixed together.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1268 on: 13 February, 2010, 06:37:50 pm »
Oh good.  Will you do one for me now? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1269 on: 13 February, 2010, 06:45:38 pm »
Cleaned my Dolan, washed off the accumulated salt, tighten up the chain ring bolts. Then I started to see if I could fettle a chain tensioner for a single speed from some junk, an old axle. I wanted to see if I had enough bolts and wondered if I could cut the axle down to size. Anyway one thing led to another and I tried the cones that were on this axle in my old Fixed wheel, the one with the knackered cones. Seems to be OK. I fitted a tube & tyre & sprocket and fitted the wheel in my Dolan ready for a test ride. Thus I may have a used but usable Fixed wheel for sale soon. Yeah, the one I was prepared to give away before.

rdaviesb

« Reply #1270 on: 13 February, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »
Removed the stitching from the velo orange elk hide covers that adorn the Langster. Put the layer of padding which I should have put under them first time round, in place. Re-stitched the covers back on. A remarkably therapeutic couple of hours.

« Reply #1271 on: 14 February, 2010, 01:46:40 pm »
The son's bass guitar.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1272 on: 14 February, 2010, 03:05:23 pm »
Gave the Longstaff,Trek & Langster a wipe clean(ish) & inflated tyres to correct pressure on the Trek & Langster plus Mrs. Jogler's Cannondale & Trice & the tandem.
Didn't bother with my Cannondale & the folders.( I have a low boredom threshold)
The nearside rear on the Trike had a dodgy looking valve & as I looked at it the top popped out & instantly deflated the tube.One FUBA tube.Put a new tube in,went the village for some milk:bit less than a km: & within minutes the new tube exploded  :o. I might have pinched the tube between rim & tyre bead.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1273 on: 14 February, 2010, 08:55:16 pm »
Trued the troublesome summer rear wheel for the clubman, which went horribly wobbly on the Dun Run despite aggressive stress relieving and putting my whole body weight sideways on the rim to unping the spokes (Velocity Deep V - I think the spoke nipples creep in the uneyeletted and fairly badly-finished rim). 

Then gave all the nipples a full extra turn on the front wheel, which works OK but was a bit lightly tensioned - I'm not used to plain gauge spokes and these were all that I could get in the right length for a large flange x2 wheel.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1274 on: 14 February, 2010, 09:30:00 pm »
Built a frankenputer out of the functional and only slightly melted remains of our recent catastrophic hardware failures.  Installed Windows XP on it.  I feel dirty.