Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163544 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1300 on: 20 February, 2010, 05:11:16 pm »
Fettled the chainring on my fixed. Put the felt pads on my crud road guards. They are quite noisy at the front.

Cleaned things a bit. I'm wondering if the chain's a bit tight now though.

« Reply #1301 on: 20 February, 2010, 05:56:15 pm »
Fettled is not the word.  Rebuilt more likely  ;D

For the last week or so my ride has been a bit rough.  Nothing overt, just a grinding somewhere.

So today I installed my new (2nd hand) Speedplays.  The right pedal bearings had gone.
I also took off the chain and de-gunged it and in so doing noticed the jockey wheels were very pointy.  So they were replaced.
I also took off the cassette and de-gunged it and then removed the cassette body and de-gunged and regreased it.
Last but not least I secured my front mudflap so it no longer rubs the wheel.

I also washed her.

« Reply #1302 on: 21 February, 2010, 12:01:52 am »
Stripped the front hub on my work hack. This is embarrassing. The bearing surfaces (and the bearings) were rusty :-[

I've bought new bearings, but with the surfaces and cones not great, I don't think it's going to be too long before I need a new hub. May as well just build a new wheel, I suspect...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1303 on: 21 February, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »
I wanted to fettle but I could not find the bits in the bits box. I am certain I have spare brake block somewhere. Stopping seems a good thing to do. Ton cycles was open Sundays before it shut down now I will have to wait until Monday lunchtime before I can have vaguely secure braking.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1304 on: 21 February, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »
A failed fettle actually.Fitted new inner tubes to both rear wheels on the trike & both blew out:fitted two more & one blew out.That's 6 tubes fitted in two weeeks,5 of which have popped.I have done the usual checking for spoke,rim & tyre invasion & suspect the tubes are the problem.All by the same manufacturer & purchased at the same time & subsequently kept in saddle bags as spares.
It's frustrating 'cause the trike is what I wanted to use for an hour this afternoon in the 7.5cm of snow we have had overnight. :(

« Reply #1305 on: 21 February, 2010, 01:28:24 pm »
I admire your persistence  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1306 on: 21 February, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
I replaced the headlamp bulb on my car.  That required removing the airbox first!  ::-)
I also sorted the wiring to connect my newly build dynohub to the existing (30 year old) lamps and wiring.  To my amazement, when I turn the pedals, I have light! :)  ;D

« Reply #1307 on: 21 February, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »
I have reduced a bolt head in size so that it will pass through the plug hole of the bath. We now have a working, popping up bath plug.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1308 on: 21 February, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »
New brake pads on the commuter.  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #1309 on: 21 February, 2010, 05:18:46 pm »
My LBS was torched a couple of weeks back and I feared it was the end of their existence.  Thankfully they have taken other premises, are restocking and have advertised locally   :thumbsup:

I stall be making a trip this week to show my support, and perhaps buy the odd slightly overpriced but 'in the hand' item for fettling purposes.    

« Reply #1310 on: 21 February, 2010, 05:21:14 pm »
started hanging up the bikes again after the garage was re-done.  Got 4 up before my hatred of DIY enticed me back inside for more tea and ginger biscuits.

« Reply #1311 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »
Built new wheels for my TOP SECRET fixie project.  36h Rigida Chrina rims (extra thick braking surface see, good for my cowardly fixed wheel riding style) on very shiny Phil Wood hubs.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1312 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:48:49 pm »
After getting covered with filth on the brooks tour ride I have now bodged a muguard extension out of an old waterbottle & I've bought some respro sticky sticker stuff to cover it up, hopefully it will not look too bad when i've finished.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #1313 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »
Seat angle.  Twice.

I have also reproofed overshoes, my Gore Tex and the wife's dog walking Gore Tex jacket.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #1314 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »
Minor fettle - Minoura Swing Grip handlebar extension.

« Reply #1315 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:37:19 pm »
More zip ties applied to the commute bike, this time to replace the rivets at the bottom of the front mudguard that had popped out.  Clattering will now cease, or would cease were it not for the rear mudguard being a bit loose.

Edit:  Gosh, life is getting a bit exciting in SE23

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1316 on: 24 February, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »
I fitted an inner tube to each rear wheel of the trike this morning.Both are goodtogo atm.If they are o.k. in the morning I shall return to Longstaff's* to get more of the same & junk the rest of the one's I had so much aggro with last week.

*do I take only enough £ for the inner tubes or take wallet & platic?

EDIT: no deflations :thumbsup:
hi-ho,hi-ho
to Longstaff's we must go

« Reply #1317 on: 24 February, 2010, 04:47:09 pm »
My new frame arrived for the TOP SECRET fixie project.  I've cut the steerer tube, pressed the headset, fitted the forks and stem, and faced the bottom bracket so far!

<a bit later>

Sprocket and lockring fitted, wheels, cranks, pedals and handlebars are all installed too!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1318 on: 24 February, 2010, 06:11:10 pm »
Best weather for a ride I've seen in ages, and my digestive system wasn't playing.  Decided to remove some of last week's accumulated Birmingham from my bike instead.  As per tradition, SWMBO came home to find me skiddling with jars of solvent in the kitchen, and muddy wheels on their way to the bath.  She wasn't even slightly sarcastic :)

A box of bits from Farnell turned up this morning, so I should be set for some more breadboard-and-oscilloscope-based fettling at the weekend.

« Reply #1319 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:53:09 pm »
Cut the spokes off my rear wheel.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1320 on: 25 February, 2010, 11:25:02 am »
I will be fitting new brake pads on Saturday morning as my rear pads have completely disintegrated over the winter.  I ordered the pads from crc on Monday afternoon & they arrived Tuesday morning with free delivery  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1321 on: 25 February, 2010, 11:40:27 am »
Yesterday I transferred a broken in Brooks onto my MTB (much cursing about the Specialized 2 bolt seatpost that probably has it's benefits but is a real PITA to fit a Brooks to) and put on some narrower, flatter bars. Put a new Brooks onto my single-speed and had the joy of that slidy feeling on my ride this morning as I began the first stage of breaking it in.

« Reply #1322 on: 25 February, 2010, 12:00:14 pm »
Replaced the rear brake pads on the Kaffenback, about six weeks after I last replaced them.

That has to be a record, being only around 750 miles or so, but I used it on a few rides in January where the conditions were pretty horrible, and a lot of muddy gunk got sprayed onto the wheels.  Clearly it formed a wonderful grinding mixture to kill the pads, and probably the rims are a bit thinner than they used to be as well. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1323 on: 27 February, 2010, 06:43:15 pm »
I so love a relaxing fettle on the weekend.
Cleaned the Etape.  She was very dirty after a week of commuting in poor weather.
My bearings had arrived so I set about installing them only realising that I had not bought the one that was actually borked.  Remembered that man Eck had sent me a spare cassette body so I installed that instead to get over my bearing issue.  LBS can restore my borked one at his leasure.
Found a loose spoke on the rear wheel so dropped into LBS whilst in Marlborough.  Bought some new blue Hope skewers too.
I'd picked up my mended Mavic for the TCR so I reshoed her too.

Both bikes are now running sweet.

I am also going to rename my Enigma Etape to Hope.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1324 on: 27 February, 2010, 07:09:44 pm »
I so love a relaxing fettle on the weekend.
Cleaned the Etape.  She was very dirty after a week of commuting in poor weather.
A week?  I'm not going to clean the Inbred until at least mid-April, and I first built it up at the end of November  :)  The chain has been done a couple of times, but there's no point in cleaning the rest of it; there is so much construction work going on round here that the roads are watery mud (with the usual horse poo to add dietary fibre to the mess).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.