Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163380 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1550 on: 15 April, 2010, 07:56:36 am »
Shortened brake cables to a more acceptable length.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1551 on: 15 April, 2010, 11:56:49 am »
That's impressive.

As in "will you be making more?"

If you start producing those commercially, Kim, sign me up!

I don't care what it does, but if you can build in a frikkin' laser I'll take three :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1552 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »
Fresh chain for the Horizon, before the current one gets too stretched.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1553 on: 15 April, 2010, 03:38:27 pm »
Just fitted a 75mm stem to replace the 100mm one on my Roubaix.  I'm so looking forward to weeks of agonizing over saddle position.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1554 on: 15 April, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »
Just fitted a 75mm stem to replace the 100mm one on my Roubaix.  I'm so looking forward to weeks of agonizing over saddle position.

is that a euphanism for something? ;D

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1555 on: 15 April, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »

is that a euphanism for something? ;D

I should be so lucky!

« Reply #1556 on: 15 April, 2010, 04:43:15 pm »
The homemade handlebar mount for my 'dual Tesco torch on a dymano' has been working loose and shifting position over bumps, so I've just made a new one from a couple of cable clamps to fit on the handlebars, and the handlebar clamp bits from broken gripshifts to hold the torches.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1557 on: 16 April, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »
New headset to replace the one which was suffering from a terminal case of indexed steering.  This was educational, I don't appear to have broken anything, and there was hardly any blood loss.  More importantly, I've added to the obscure tools collection and didn't have to lug anything to a bike shop, so it's a net win :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1558 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:28:32 pm »
Really advanced stuff.

I Proofided two saddles.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1559 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:40:41 pm »
The gate. Concreted a Metpost socket into the drive. Once it's set and I've put the gate-post back on, should mean that, when I arrive home from work, the gate doesn't flap around wildly as I take my bike through ;D

« Reply #1560 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »
Built the front wheel for Mrs Tewdric's new N+1!

« Reply #1561 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:03:23 pm »
The thing that toilets have instead of a ballcock these days in the garage loo so the builders can use it. It had got stuck after not being used for several years (the garage loo was being used as an extra store room for my accumulation of random bits of wood and the like).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1562 on: 20 April, 2010, 10:40:24 am »
Fixed slow puncture. hmm, 9 patches on one tube maybe it's time to retire it ( ;))

Noticed this morning I'd put rear tyre on the wrong way round; that must be why I was really slow. Can I be arsed to turn it round tonight?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1563 on: 20 April, 2010, 11:48:57 am »
A puncture on the trike(rear wheel).It's very novel doing this without removing the wheel :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1564 on: 20 April, 2010, 11:57:31 am »
Last night I took the join off the Alfine hub, cleaned out all the winter grime and regreased it.
The join is the bit that the cable connects to
The top 3 gears, which had been unavailable, magically reappeared

« Reply #1565 on: 20 April, 2010, 01:17:15 pm »
Noticed this morning I'd put rear tyre on the wrong way round; that must be why I was really slow. Can I be arsed to turn it round tonight?

Depends on the tyre.  I've put road tyres on backwards, and it doesn't really matter, since most of them owe any directionality more to marketing than any technological reason.

Some heavily treaded mountain bike tyres may benefit from directionality, since oriented the correct way, you get better braking grip on the front, and better driving grip on the rear (ie front and rear are typically put on in the opposite direction).

For most road tyres, I'd be amazed if it made much difference.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1566 on: 21 April, 2010, 07:17:25 pm »
Just finished cleaning lots of flecks of paint off my Bob Jackson  ::-) Ah well, it was due a clean anyway I suppose.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1567 on: 21 April, 2010, 07:21:04 pm »
Adjusted the inner screw(clockwise) on the front mech. to stop the chain from dropping off the granny ring onto the BB shell/frame.
Road tested & sofarsogood

rogerzilla

« Reply #1568 on: 21 April, 2010, 08:32:58 pm »
First I teak oiled the bench.

Then I fixed the Mk3 Brompton's chain tensioner, which had lost a tiny washer when I stripped it down (the Brompton book came in useful!), although it's been held together with threadlock quite happily for the last six months  ::-)

Then I pulled the SRAM hub apart for a final check of the new bearings I installed last month, because Mrs Z is going to start riding it again.  Pumped up the tyres and found the front light.

kevinp

« Reply #1569 on: 21 April, 2010, 08:51:05 pm »
Just fitted a new rear derailleur on the Dawes, it now changes gear a lot smoother :)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1570 on: 23 April, 2010, 08:31:53 am »
Changed the 'toe out' to 'toe in'  on my rear brake. Massive improvement!

rogerzilla

« Reply #1571 on: 23 April, 2010, 08:37:20 pm »
Put the summer p1mp1ng wheels on the clubman.   Fitted the third set of new brake pads in three weeks to the Inbred.  Fiddles with the cable adjustment on the Fuji and can see no reason why the hub slipped except (a) I nudged the lever with my hand or (b) it's just badly designed.  The testing continues.  If you're listening, Sturmey-Archer, there is a reason all your old hubs had flick triggers.  This was to avoid ever being able to select an intermediate position between gears.  FFS go back to them.

« Reply #1572 on: 23 April, 2010, 10:51:46 pm »
Moved the computer to a new bracket on the stem, which made space to fit the route holder on the bars. Now I can (just) see GPS, route sheet and computer at the same time. I don't have space for my cateye light on the bars with that lot, so moved the fenix holder from my helmet to the bars for now as the dark commutes are done for a while.

Then I swapped the ridgeback saddle for a charge one. Looking after the kids tonight, so didn't do more than some back-pedalling in a doorway to get a first go at a comfy position.

« Reply #1573 on: 23 April, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »
Fitted new rear brake blocks and also Dérailleur pulley wheels. The old wheels resembled throwing stars! The rest of the chain-set was replaced last week.

« Reply #1574 on: 24 April, 2010, 10:45:16 pm »
I had to fettle a new inner tube onto the front wheel of the Kaffenback, which went down overnight.  At least it happened today, when all it did was delay me a bit going to Sainsburys.  If it had happened tomorrow morning, I would have been annoyed.

I buggered around for a while trying to find the cause, and eventually realised that the valve was slightly coming away from the tube, which was unusual.  At least it meant that the Marathon Supreme tyre wasn't to blame, and could keep it's good record of virtually no fairy visitations.
Actually, it is rocket science.