Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517728 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't shop at Aldi myself but have been supplied with excellent confectionary copies in my travels.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
I don't shop at Aldi myself but have been supplied with excellent confectionary copies in my travels.

Poundland has a product that tastes just like Toblerone - it's now a flat-bar shape as their first iteration being a sort of triangular comb attracted the lawyers at Toblerone !

ian

I finally saw the bleeding eye egg burger face nightmare on TikTok. You can't unsee it.

ETA - A question for those who have made ^ this - Does it keep in the fridge, and if so, for how long? Can it be re-heated in a microwave? - I'm thinking of Tuesday's lunch. What could possibly go wrong?

I had the sprouts & topping in the fridge overnight and zapped them at work next day. Still nom.
Well, I zapped it in the microwave yesterday and had it for lunch.
I'm still here and I haven't spent the night on the toilet.
I think we can call that a result.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I finally saw the bleeding eye egg burger face nightmare on TikTok. You can't unsee it.

Actually not the worst cooking video I've seen on social media, believe it or not.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Had a go at Thai fishcakes today, OK but our fresh coriander was rotten so had to use dried which isn't half a tenth as good. Also chickened out of adding as much red curry paste as the recipe demanded.

I think I'll use prawns next time.
Agree about fresh coriander. Fortunately it freezes very successfully. The way to go if you can't use all of a bunch.

Cheers!  Reckon I'll get half a doz bunches next time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Actually not the worst cooking video I've seen on social media, believe it or not.

I'm not sure I want to know. The 'mashed potato' was special.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Had a go at Thai fishcakes today, OK but our fresh coriander was rotten so had to use dried which isn't half a tenth as good. Also chickened out of adding as much red curry paste as the recipe demanded.

Agree about fresh coriander. Fortunately it freezes very successfully. The way to go if you can't use all of a bunch.

I freeze all herbs, apart from the ones growing in the garden, and even then I still have some rosemary in the freezer as a back up for winter.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

I freeze all herbs, apart from the ones growing in the garden, and even then I still have some rosemary in the freezer as a back up for winter.

Well, the buggers only had 3 bags of coriander today but they've got zero now.

We have sage, mint & chives in the garden. I was surprised they survived the drought - we're not very assiduous gardeners.

There is a block of really, really good aged red Leicester in the fridge downstairs.

It's driving me mad. Not hungry, but I really want to slice off a few slivers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Our new big block of proper Red Leicester arrived by courier yesterday - it's safe in the fridge for a day or two till we finish the previous block....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's are, yet again, listing their frozen Three Bird Roast as a Christmas centrepiece, this time for £12 cf £10 in previous years.

It has *never* actually been available, though I have ordered this repeatedly over the years.

I shall order it again and await non-events.

I always have several potential centrepieces in store but am playing this game again...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just saw an article in Que Choisir - the French equiv of Which? - to the effect that 23 out of 29 silicone cooking/baking moulds "present problems" when used at high temperatures:

https://www.quechoisir.org/action-ufc-que-choisir-test-ufc-que-choisir-sur-les-moules-en-silicone-trop-de-substances-nocives-dans-les-gateaux-n104419/

(In French)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Strictly speaking, I should be steering well clear of this on the grounds that it is novelty Christmas food, a category I deplore, but I couldn’t resist…

M&S Mince Pie & Custard Danish.

Mince pie filling and crème pat in crumbly flaky pastry. Ticks all the boxes for me.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I did score a mince pie cookie at a Xmas market yesterday. Tasted pretty good. With a hot gin cocktail ftw.

In the world of procurement (my job) everything is shit, so I bake for work most weeks. I give the team a choice of 3 options around a theme- there's a lot of "Consett Man Palate" so chocolate wins over anything even vaguely spiced or, especially, fruited. This week's theme: Italian Advent, and the vote winner, cannoli. Pannetone and Panforte being too esoteric.

So now I have a set of cannoli moulds. Is there anything else you can use them for?

Brandy snaps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Mmm cannoli. Only had twice, I think. PITA to make?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I had a mince pie yesterday. I'm not especially keen on them, but homemade and in the setting – sitting round a wood fire in a barn with Tilley lamps – it was good!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mmm cannoli. Only had twice, I think. PITA to make?
Yes.
I don't have a deep fat fryer, so thermometer and a fire-risk pan. Some recipes say to run the pastry through a pasta machine to get it thin enough. I don't have a pasta machine.
Actual pastry and filling both appear straightforward. There will be some chocolate dipping and I'm sneaking in some chopped pistachios.

I don't mind at all, baking is my entertainment as well as eating pleasure.

Has anyone else noticed that refills of herb and spice jars have been removed (apparently) from all major supermarkets shelves, leaving jars only? Weird. One can only assume that the shelf space isn't worth the difference to them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Yesterday's croissants revive very nicely in an air fryer at 160°C for 3-4 minutes.

Re spices, haven't noticed any refills here, at least not in the last 30 years.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
They still do them for certain brands of Brown Drink.  The refills' unit price is higher than that of a jar.  Whoever came up with that one is a prime candidate for a berth in a Reëducation Camp.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Never seen refills of herbs and spices in a supermarket. Have to go a small shop for those.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Never seen refills of herbs and spices in a supermarket. Have to go a small shop for those.

That is also my experience 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.